Randomness Dos

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Perfect - thank you!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Chromebook would be perfect. I have an acer aspire R13, which I think is technically a chromebook, and that's what I use at home.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Why couldn't the bicycle stand up?
It was two tired...

Ad@m

Randomness Dos

Postby Ad@m » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/alt ... ok_WTAJ-TV

Altoona Area Public Library offers cursive writing course
Elementary schools are starting to use more advanced technology, and with more devices comes less of a need for a pen and paper

A local high school teacher says that her students couldn’t understand her cursive writing.

Most adults don’t have to worry about being able to give their signature, sign a check, or even read an old document.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am

Source of the post Most adults don’t have to worry about being able to give their signature, sign a check, or even read an old document.
say what now?

Ad@m

Randomness Dos

Postby Ad@m » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Virginia police were searching for a 'very dangerous' murder suspect. He was caught naked, TV video shows

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-pol ... 19279.html#
Virginia sheriff's deputies on Tuesday arrested a naked man wanted in connection to a triple homicide that left two women and a child dead.

Before he was arrested, Matthew Bernard, 18, ran at a reporter at the scene, was maced by an officer and choked a church caretaker — all while naked, according to video captured by Virginia TV station WSET-TV.

In the video, which was shared on WSET's Facebook page, Bernard is seen running at an officer, who runs away. The officer eventually sprays mace in Bernard's direction and Bernard moves toward the cameraperson recording the video.

The video cuts away and Bernard is next seen running at a person near a car. Bernard begins to to choke the person before the officer intervenes. WSET identified the person as a church caretaker.

Eventually, Bernard is captured by officers using a K-9.

In a statement to USA TODAY, Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office investigator Devin Taylor said Bernard was arrested on three counts of first-degree murder.

Earlier in the day, Pittsylvania County's public safety Facebook page asked citizens to be on the lookout for Bernard and advised he was armed with a rifle and "very dangerous."

The page followed that post with an update saying Bernard had been located.

Taylor said deputies responded to a 911 call around 8 a.m. Tuesday. Law enforcement arrived to find a woman dead in the driveway. When deputies entered the house, they found two more bodies, a woman and a child, according to Taylor's statement.

Two of the victims were the wife and child of Blake Bivens, a Double-A pitcher in the Tampa Bay Rays organization. ESPN on Tuesday reported that Bernard is the brother of Bivens' wife. The sheriff's office did not confirm the identities of any of the victims.

"The names of the deceased are being held until family members are notified," Taylor said. "Investigators are still on-scene collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses. A first court appearance has not been scheduled."

Another Virginia television station, WDBJ-TV, reported seven schools were on lockdown while law enforcement officers searched for Bernard.

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Source of the post Most adults don’t have to worry about being able to give their signature, sign a check, or even read an old document.
say what now?
I mean outside of reading a document.. signing a check/giving their signature most people (myself) included basically scribble they sure don't write in perfect cursive. I can write in cursive well if I want to but when I sign anything its basically first letter of my first name in decent cursive....squiggly line, then same thing for my last name.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:05 pm

I call the signature squiggles "modern art signatures." As a lawyer who often needs to figure how exactly who the eff signed something, I'm totally not a fan. I firmly believe that one's full name should be legible from one's signature. My own signature is just my name written in my own cursive handwriting, and I'm one of the (admittedly rare today) people who still use cursive for almost everything.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:14 pm

My signature is a squiggly line and you can only make out one letter, because it doesn't **** matter whatsoever.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 pm

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:31 pm

He is also a double-dealing real estate tycoon.

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 pm

A friend of mine was talking about her 8 year old son having an "active shooter" drill in school today. This wasn't the first, but she says every time they do a drill he gets anxious and starts asking her questions about whether he's going to die in school, etc. She said he even wakes up during the night and comes to her, worried and wanting to pray.

I understand why they have such drills (better safe than sorry, yada yada yada) but if it's traumatizing kids like this, is it really for the best? The odds of being involved in a school shooting are still ridiculously small, and I guess I just struggle to see how the positives outweigh the negatives.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 am

We had tornado drills when I was a kid in NC. Do you think there is a meaningful difference?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Randomness Dos

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:58 am

We still did nuclear drills in Elementary school.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:33 am

Local churches started doing active shooter drills around me.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Randomness Dos

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 am

Irrational fear

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:58 am

:lol:

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am

I don't think active diddler drills are a thing, though. Gotta do something.

CBear3

Randomness Dos

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 am

Local churches started doing active shooter drills around me.
We have a safety team that stays out in the welcome area every week, unbeknownst to 90% of the congregation.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:26 am

A friend of mine was talking about her 8 year old son having an "active shooter" drill in school today. This wasn't the first, but she says every time they do a drill he gets anxious and starts asking her questions about whether he's going to die in school, etc. She said he even wakes up during the night and comes to her, worried and wanting to pray.

I understand why they have such drills (better safe than sorry, yada yada yada) but if it's traumatizing kids like this, is it really for the best? The odds of being involved in a school shooting are still ridiculously small, and I guess I just struggle to see how the positives outweigh the negatives.
I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not, but perhaps they can disguise the training as something else so that it doesn't sound as scary. If the goal is to have the children group up and get to a set location, then this seems feasible. They don't do active shooter drills in my daughter's school yet, but I imagine that it's only a matter of time.

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 am

We did bomb, fire, and tornado drills in PA but we all laughed them off. I don't know of anyone who actually thought we could die at school. I feel like active shooter drills, telling these kids how and where to hide, their teacher telling them that she'd shield them if she had too, etc. is going too far.

But then, I don't have kids and don't particularly like them so what do I know?

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 am

Haha, one of my eighth grader's teachers told them last week during a fire drill that "This ain't no movie. I'm not coming back in a burning building to save y'all. You're on your own!" :lol: Knowing the teacher, she was having some fun, but still....

Also:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Randomness Dos

Postby iamjs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:54 am

I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not, but perhaps they can disguise the training as something else so that it doesn't sound as scary. If the goal is to have the children group up and get to a set location, then this seems feasible. They don't do active shooter drills in my daughter's school yet, but I imagine that it's only a matter of time.
I like this idea. Call it an evacuation drill or disguise it as a fire drill. You don't have to brand it as active shooter training.

But if you call it one thing despite it being another, would the kids say "oh yeah, we learned this in _______" or would they still make the connection?

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 am

Source of the post But if you call it one thing despite it being another, would the kids say "oh yeah, we learned this in _______" or would they still make the connection?
That was my concern while writing that.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:23 am

What happened to @Factorial ? Haven't heard from him in a while. I know he was having heart issues... :?