Randomness Dos

CBear3

Randomness Dos

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:31 pm

I'd be grateful to just pay $8 to use the three minutes of the song but no...

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 13, 2022 4:29 pm

I'm heading into an appointment right now and will pick this up after. But in the meantime I encourage you all to discuss the notion of "just the right amount of Macklemore".

CBear3

Randomness Dos

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 13, 2022 4:32 pm

99 cents worth of Macklemore
Also, how about inflation at Goodwill, I couldn't buy jack for a buck at a thrift shop right now.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:09 pm

Hey tifosi77 I hate music copyrights!
My private Facebook post of my son's highlights gets muted for too much Macklemore.

Seriously, I can listen for free on any number of streaming services including YouTube but God forbid an 8 year old's video uses a song he knows.
Some services are more strict than others in the way they police stuff, but they're generally not in the habit of allowing non-Fair Use, er, uses go unnoticed for long, Private or Public. Your son's highlight video is not a Fair Use exception, especially if you're uploading your own copy of the music file (e.g. synced into the video).
Copyright owners should be getting compensated for the use of their recordings. Your 99-cent example would not fit that bill, either, as you're talking about a reuse of the recording; when a recording is repurposed, all of the musicians who took part in the recording are (usually) entitled to additional comp over and above what they were paid for that performance . That requires a license, and the session fees are paid out of the copyright owner's share of that license revenue. The amounts are comically minimal - depending on when the recording was made, it could take well into five figures worth of revenue for any individual artist's reuse fees to tot up to over a hundred bucks.

I don't know if aany platforms are engaging in library licenses, or offering known music for license, but it usually isn't very straightforward task.
Also, the correct answer is "none amount of Macklemore".

CBear3

Randomness Dos

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:47 pm

No, the 99 cents is the thrift store amount of Macklemore that’s appropriate.
I did find some places that’d license some actually charted songs for $8 a piece for non branded use.

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 14, 2022 6:48 am

crusherstasiak

Randomness Dos

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon May 16, 2022 6:07 pm

what do you suppose authoritarian tolerance is?

faftorial

Randomness Dos

Postby faftorial » Mon May 16, 2022 6:24 pm

Hey tifosi77 I hate music copyrights!
My private Facebook post of my son's highlights gets muted for too much Macklemore.

Seriously, I can listen for free on any number of streaming services including YouTube but God forbid an 8 year old's video uses a song he knows.
Some services are more strict than others in the way they police stuff, but they're generally not in the habit of allowing non-Fair Use, er, uses go unnoticed for long, Private or Public. Your son's highlight video is not a Fair Use exception, especially if you're uploading your own copy of the music file (e.g. synced into the video).
Copyright owners should be getting compensated for the use of their recordings. Your 99-cent example would not fit that bill, either, as you're talking about a reuse of the recording; when a recording is repurposed, all of the musicians who took part in the recording are (usually) entitled to additional comp over and above what they were paid for that performance . That requires a license, and the session fees are paid out of the copyright owner's share of that license revenue. The amounts are comically minimal - depending on when the recording was made, it could take well into five figures worth of revenue for any individual artist's reuse fees to tot up to over a hundred bucks.

I don't know if aany platforms are engaging in library licenses, or offering known music for license, but it usually isn't very straightforward task.
Also, the correct answer is "none amount of Macklemore".
Are you familiar with the technology used? If you took a cd track and made some edits to a track (changing the levels, reversing the left channel to the right and vise versa, etc) in an audio editor would it still recognize the content? It seems like yes these days.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:02 pm

Absolutely it would recognize it. People think they're outsmarting tech by flipping images, or cropping the fame, or distorting the audio......
one that I've seen a lot is where people sharing a clip of audio or video posts "DON'T SAY THE NAME/TITLE" in the comments, as if the media platforms and copyright owners hadn't thought of that, and will be duped by a backwards thumbnail image. It's more a resource question, than a technology question.

But there are two prongs to this: The more you manipulate the source content, you get into serious "why bother?" territory. And the other is the more you manipulate the source, in a way you are conceding the infringement and the need to spoof content filters.

Ad@m

Randomness Dos

Postby Ad@m » Wed May 18, 2022 7:32 pm

**** Amish :lol:

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/vid ... and-buggy/
Video shows a rather unusual traffic stop and police chase in Ohio involving a horse and buggy.

“Whoa, whoa,” Ashtabula Sheriff Deputy Mike Talbert can be heard saying on his body camera video as he tries to stop a horse and buggy around 2:43 a.m. Saturday in Orwell.

The deputy tells other officers that the driver of the buggy appears to be asleep.

“There is a Bud Light can sitting in there, and he’s passed cleaned out,” Talbert says. “We got a drunk Amish guy passed out in a buggy.”

Deputies and Orwell police were called to the area by people who called 911, reporting the buggy was “all over the road.”

“He just turned eastbound on Bogue, and I yelled at the guy when he rode by,” Talbert told dispatchers. “There is a Bud Light can sitting in the damn buggy, and I hit the side of the buggy and hollered at the guy. He’s passed clean out. He’s slumped over. “

The deputy then pursued the horse and tried to get it to stop. After several minutes, Talbert was able to get his cruiser in front of the horse.

“I have it stopped,” Talbert said. “Nope, disregard. He just rammed it into my car.”

The driver finally woke up and was able to control the horse. The driver was arrested on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He was due in court Thursday.

The driver of the buggy suffered a minor injury. Talbert was not injured, and the horse is OK.

Ashtabula Sheriff William Niemi said these types of traffic stops are unusual, adding that he is glad the deputy was able to get the horse to stop without anyone getting seriously injured.

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 18, 2022 7:34 pm

Honestly I wonder how often the Amish go out for a few road beverages. No one would really ever notice unless you **** pass out like an idiot

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 18, 2022 8:36 pm

what do you suppose authoritarian tolerance is?
Have you seen what this dude looks like? No wonder incels think Peterson is near god levels.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:26 pm

Very random discovery I found today. I was texting a friend from my previous job, who is actually interviewing today to get away from that particular university. I couldn't find him in contacts though.

I texted him a few weeks ago, so I know I had him in my phone. I found the text thread from our last conversation via search, but it was a phone number listed with no name. All of the texts from the last few years were there though. This is on a Pixel 3, fwiw.

Turns out that when my previous employer disabled my account (email, employee, etc.) in Windows Active Directory/LDAP, it naturally deleted the contact information tied to work contacts (ie email). So the text messages are all there, just without the employer-created contact attached to it. Really didn't expect that to happen.

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Thu May 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Did they use Google Workspace? Might have something to do with it.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:56 pm

Yes, that's exactly what it was. Google for Education/Workplace.

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Thu May 19, 2022 9:13 pm

My uni employer uses the same and when I make contacts for work I always choose my .edu account, too. I bet the save thing happens if I ever leave.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 20, 2022 8:23 am

The last dozen or so people with bonafide, unironic yinzer accents apparently all work on the same crew replacing the water lines on my street

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Honestly I wonder how often the Amish go out for a few road beverages. No one would really ever notice unless you **** pass out like an idiot
I live in Lancaster County--there are a lot more degenerate Amish than you think. And the last thing I would want is a drunk guy trying to control those horses, which often look very skittish.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:20 pm

Oh I remember the days of my youth trolling the Nittany Mall lousy with teenage Amish girls in sneakers bumming cigarettes........ *sigh* ........ those were simpler days, the Before Times.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm

Clemson softball pitcher Millie Thompson threw a no-hitter in the CWS today. She wears #87...because she's part of the Pittsburgh diaspora, growing up in Virginia. Pretty cool stuff.

RonnieFranchise

Randomness Dos

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri May 20, 2022 8:52 pm

The last dozen or so people with bonafide, unironic yinzer accents apparently all work on the same crew replacing the water lines on my street
My mudder in law don’t work on no water line crew ya jagoff.

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 21, 2022 2:35 pm

Ad@m

Randomness Dos

Postby Ad@m » Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 am

I can’t imagine being stung to death :(
A landscape lighting technician died after he was swarmed by bees at a home in Austin on Thursday, according to a family spokesperson.

Franco Galvan Martinez, 53, was suspended by a harness in one of the home’s trees when he inadvertently disturbed a hive and the bees swarmed, a family spokesperson said.

“I guess in [a] panic trying to swat away the bees from himself, he kicked away the ladder,” said Joe Maldonado, a family friend and pastor.

Galvan Martinez remained suspended in the air by the harness as the insects attacked.

“The hive was so ginormous that it literally covered Franco instantly,” Maldonado told KXAN.

A neighbor who did not wish to be identified said they heard Galvan Martinez’s screams for help, adding he appeared to be covered in thousands of bees.

Two of his co-workers below attempted to help but were also stung, they said.

“They were very distraught,” the neighbor told KXAN. “It was horrible.”

“For over 10 minutes, all they could do was endure hearing [Galvan Martinez’s] anguish,” Maldonado said.

Austin-Travis County EMS said first responders were dispatched to a home around 5 p.m. Firefighters used their hose to blast the bees away and reach the man, according to witnesses.

Maldonado said Galvan Martinez, a married father of two with grandchildren, lived in Seguin.

“He was a very joyful man,” said Maldonado, who confirmed an autopsy of Galvan Martinez is planned.

Family said Galvan Martinez was working for Bill Biggadike & Associates, a landscape and lighting business based in New Braunfels. The company confirmed Friday that one of its workers died, but had no other immediate comment.

A neighbor told KXAN residents have been aware of a beehive in the tree for some time but never experienced any issues.

The Austin Code Department said the case was assigned to an inspector following a call on Friday. A neighbor said an inspector visited the home and took photos that afternoon. The department said there are no prior code complaints at the address.

The owner of the home declined comment when KXAN visited Friday evening.

Austin Code said a city ordinance regulates the maintenance and management of bee colonies within city limits. However, the ordinance does not apply to wild colonies in tree hollows or stumps. In addition, the city does not provide services for the removal, relocation, or eradication of bees due to state regulations.

Professional beehive remover Mike Lopez said those who encounter hives on their property should leave them alone and call a professional. In the case of an attack, Lopez said the best advice is to keep moving and seek shelter indoors or in a vehicle.

“Under no circumstances do you stop moving,” Lopez said, adding that bees are attracted to the carbon dioxide emitted as humans exhale, making a person’s mouth and nose especially vulnerable.

Lopez said bees also release alarm pheromones after stinging a person or animal, signaling other bees to join the attack.

“Once you have one, then you’ll have two, then you’ll have 16,” he said. “And it will keep on until you have thousands on you.”

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 22, 2022 11:47 am

ew

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Sun May 22, 2022 12:14 pm

Boys. If that ever happens to me, please find the nearest shotgun and shoot me