Randomness Dos

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 am

mikey is the kinda guy who brakes for the squirrel hill tunnel entrance.
And switches lanes in them.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:36 am

Yeah, not enough piss...that's strike one...

The one road in and out feeling is troubling to me...it's difficult to navigate, there isn't an obvious grid system...and yeah, there isn't as much "stuff" here...

Ubers are a lot more expensive here, but drinking at bars is cheaper...tough trade off to reconcile...

The weather also...it's overcast 400 days a year...
You mean you don’t like that Pittsburgh roads were designed after a spilled spaghetti plate?

Also, did you just stay by the arena? Cause there is a crap ton to do in Pittsburgh.
I have stayed in the city a few times before, and it's fine and all...I think I hate the city design more than anything but given how flimsy that is, I also decided to make the amazing deduction that a city that is much smaller than I am used to appears to have less around it...

This time, I stayed at the Airport Marriott...which I know gets the dodint seal of approval...patent pending...

I guess I just don't get the impression I could readily live here...not that I was invited...

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 am

It should be noted that the Pittsburgh Airport is much further from Dahn-Tahn than the Philly Airport is from Center City.

Just tracked it. PIT to city = 19.1 miles PHL to CC = 11.9 miles.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

So we discussed this in the car, admittedly after a bunch of rum and tequila (more him than me, obvs, I was driving and cut myself off a few hours prior) and the best defense I could come up with is that Pittsburgh is a city for country people that like to visit the city for an evening and then GTFO immediately. I live 10 miles door to door from home to work downtown, and my house has a deer problem. :lol: The footprint is just so small I can't imagine living there long term as a single guy trying to amuse himself night in and night out. I don't fault you for your position.

There is a grid system, must more pronounced than Boston but not as formulaic as a western city that developed later with some history to learn from.

Pittsburgh does have the best single-gloved citrus slicers, though. Represent.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 am

Is it still too early to cut the grass? I feel like my yard has just exploded and am getting antsy about how it looks.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 am

:lol:

And that's interesting blackjack, it didn't feel like such a stark difference...oh well...I'm an idiot...but I still am unsure I could hack it in this Midwest meets South with a Jackson Pollack blueprint city...back to my own hellhole...the devil you know, etc. etc.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 am

Is it still too early to cut the grass? I feel like my yard has just exploded and am getting antsy about how it looks.
Any other year, and I'd already be a few weeks into lawn mowing season. If your grass is tall enough, start cutting.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

I don't think anyone has started cutting their grass around me - but I don't want to be that guy lol - but this week I might take advantage of a nice night and cut it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am

You should wait until the weekend and do it at 5 AM.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am

See......we talking about grass...not a sidewalk, not a sidewalk...grass...

I don't fit in...

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 am

Reminds me of yesterday. Beautiful day, can finally open a window and relax for a bit. Jagoff neighbor up the hill breaks out the circular saw. Every time.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 am

Reminds me of yesterday. Beautiful day, can finally open a window and relax for a bit. Jagoff neighbor up the hill breaks out the circular saw. Every time.
Does he know you? He probably just turns the saw on and goes inside to do something else.

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 am

See......we talking about grass...not a sidewalk, not a sidewalk...grass...

I don't fit in...
To fit in better, maybe you should...
practice.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 am

Does he know you? He probably just turns the saw on and goes inside to do something else.
I might've mentioned it before, but the people that lived in our house before us were awful. Loud, abrasive, obnoxious people. Right after we moved in last April the neighbors up the hill put up a giant privacy barrier on the property line in the woods between our properties. Either they didn't know we bought the place or they weren't taking any chances and put it up anyway. :lol:

So, no, they don't know us. We don't know any of our neighbors save for an occasional wave. I don't bother people and they [hopefully] don't bother me.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 am

That's my favorite way to operate. My wife likes to chat with the neighbors. I like to give a friendly wave and promptly go back into the house without having to say anything.

I'm very much a fan of, as long as it's quiet it's good.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 am

Source of the post Either they didn't know we bought the place or they weren't taking any chances and put it up anyway. :lol:
:lol:

So long as it's after 8am, I generally have no issues with outdoor noise. All of my neighbors are pretty cool, and most of us talk to each other often because we all have kids that play together, which I like. My only gripe is my next door neighbor and his Harley. He'll get home close to midnight sometimes and let the damn thing idle in his driveway for a while before shutting it off for no obvious reason [to me, at least].

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 am

haha - my parents have a neighbor like that with his Harley. He's a chef and gets home at like midnight and just lets it rev in the driveway before either rolling it into the garage or leaving again. Couldn't imagine dealing with that.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 am

Does he have a lady sitting on it...?

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:40 am

I'm not a motorcycle guy, so I have no idea if there's an actual reason for doing so. I used to have to do that with my turbo Eclipse back in the day after long drives, so who knows. If it wasn't so loud I'd care less.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 am

Our neighbors had a yard sale Saturday, which started getting traffic around 7 am. Fortunately, we were awake and getting ready for a baseball tournament, but I would have been pissed if we weren't already up. :lol:

This is the same guy that had a 800hp Camaro drag racer in his backyard that he would fire up in the middle of the night. Right outside our bedroom window. That was before he had kids though, so all of that nonsense stopped.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Randomness Dos

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 am

There are no houses within 500 yards of me. However, there is an elementary school nearby that leaves their bells on even when there is no school.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 am

Generally motorcycles are difficult to cool so having them running idle with no airflow is bad.

Take comfort in knowing that he's accelerating the timeline to his inevitable rebuild.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 am

Outstanding.

slappybrown

Randomness Dos

Postby slappybrown » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am

I don't think anyone has started cutting their grass around me - but I don't want to be that guy lol - but this week I might take advantage of a nice night and cut it.
This weekend was the first time I looked outside and thought that the grass had finally woken up from its winter slumber. I think maybe this weekend but no one has fired up the mower that I have seen, some initial landscaping stuff people have started on.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:09 am

This weekend was the first time I looked outside and thought that the grass had finally woken up from its winter slumber. I think maybe this weekend but no one has fired up the mower that I have seen, some initial landscaping stuff people have started on.
Exactly how I felt, we went away to Lancaster for the weekend and it feels like the grass grew 2-3 inches in two days. Just checked the forecast again though and it's showing rain through the week, so it's either tonight or this weekend.