Randomness Dos

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:17 pm

In terms of percentage of action, my favorite sport of sumo would probably be the worst. In the top two "professional" divisions, the prematch rituals last about 5 minutes or so (they're streamlined and much shorter for the wrestlers in lower divisions). The matches often last less than 5 seconds.

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:13 pm

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:20 pm

:lol:

NAN

Randomness Dos

Postby NAN » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:22 pm

That is fantastic.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:26 am

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am

The biggest hawk I've ever seen in my entire life landed on a branch in my neighbor's tree. This thing had to have been pushing 3' tall, and nearly a foot wide.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:05 am

We have a red shoulder hawk that lives behind our house. He’s probably that big. He spends lots of time on our fence.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:13 am

We have a red shoulder hawk that lives behind our house. He’s probably that big. He spends lots of time on our fence.
This one was also a red shouldered hawk. See far fewer of these than I do red and white tailed hawks.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:16 am

Not sure their life expectancy, but this guy has been here years. mrs meow was concerned he would carry baby meow off when she was 1 and we let her play outside. She had to be within arms reach of us at all times

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:20 am

Honestly, seeing the size of this thing, I'd be shocked if it wasn't physically able to snatch a 1 year old and carry them off.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:27 am

I was helping someone sort out some estate concerns (yay, free lawyering). It costs $8,500 to cremate someone. No service, no viewing, just reception and disposal of the body. Seems like a lot but it's not like you can just not do it.

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:29 am

I was helping someone sort out some estate concerns (yay, free lawyering). It costs $8,500 to cremate someone. No service, no viewing, just reception and disposal of the body. Seems like a lot but it's not like you can just not do it.
When we cremated my mom when she passed last year we paid around $6500 for everything and we had a one day viewing at the funeral home. Probably varies from area to area though.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:30 am

My guess is that this person died with only neices and nephews, who all opted out of doing anything with the estate. So the attorney likely handled the final disposition. If I'm a funeral home dude I'm going to quote higher knowing the attorney doesn't have a stake. The total value of the estate with all real property was only $175k or so, most of it house.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:40 am

Since you brought it up. Do you do this for a fee (estate law)? My SIL's boyfriend died about a month ago, and the only family he had was a sister that lives in Florida. The SIL and former boyfriend both live in an assisted living home for mental patients, and the people that run that place really f'ed things up to the point my in-laws were thinking of getting somebody involved. They basically took all his stuff and put it in storage and told nobody about it. Among the stuff was some of my SIL's belongings and they were lying about not knowing where it was.

I think they may have figured it all out, but just in case we may be in the market for some lawyering. In fact, it's well beyond just this instance and it's probably less about estate law and more about these people abusing/taking advantage of the residents.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:41 am

Not that I've looked into it, but that's insane. Wonder how that compares to a casket/burial site.

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:46 am

My guess is that this person died with only neices and nephews, who all opted out of doing anything with the estate. So the attorney likely handled the final disposition. If I'm a funeral home dude I'm going to quote higher knowing the attorney doesn't have a stake. The total value of the estate with all real property was only $175k or so, most of it house.
Our lower cost might have also been due to our Family using the same funeral home for literally everyone that has died on both sides of our family for like 50+ years. It was still more than I thought it would be, but cheaper than digging out a grave and doing a headstone. Thankfully my mom wanted to be cremated so I knew what to do.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:54 am

Speaking of birds, living in Lancaster County, the number of starlings that I see every winter is insane. I was driving to pick up my son yesterday and drove through a swarm of what had to be at least 3,000 of them. Apparently they are absolute hell on farmers.

King Colby

Randomness Dos

Postby King Colby » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:57 am

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:21 pm

Since you brought it up. Do you do this for a fee (estate law)? My SIL's boyfriend died about a month ago, and the only family he had was a sister that lives in Florida. The SIL and former boyfriend both live in an assisted living home for mental patients, and the people that run that place really f'ed things up to the point my in-laws were thinking of getting somebody involved. They basically took all his stuff and put it in storage and told nobody about it. Among the stuff was some of my SIL's belongings and they were lying about not knowing where it was.

I think they may have figured it all out, but just in case we may be in the market for some lawyering. In fact, it's well beyond just this instance and it's probably less about estate law and more about these people abusing/taking advantage of the residents.
I have a lot of interest in estate law for some reason. I find the whole dead hands thing compelling. I don't focus on it in my firm because it's unlikely that I'll still be living in PA by the time all my clients need estate services. The money isn't really in writing the wills, but in probating the estates. I hope to move back to NC eventually. So my involvement is mostly steering my extended family towards what they need, then referring them to my attorney who I use for my own needs.

If you think this is an elder abuse situation I might be able to help indirectly. A woman I went to law school with does this north of us in Meadville.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:38 pm

I have a lot of interest in estate law for some reason. I find the whole dead hands thing compelling. I don't focus on it in my firm because it's unlikely that I'll still be living in PA by the time all my clients need estate services. The money isn't really in writing the wills, but in probating the estates. I hope to move back to NC eventually. So my involvement is mostly steering my extended family towards what they need, then referring them to my attorney who I use for my own needs.

If you think this is an elder abuse situation I might be able to help indirectly. A woman I went to law school with does this north of us in Meadville.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind if it comes to it. Not elder abuse, more mentally challenged-abuse.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:48 pm

Yeah, let me know. Maybe not much we can do about it but it's nasty how families treat each other in this kind of situation. That's why I'm so adamant about my parents and remaining grandparents getting wills and healthcare directives now, not later.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:05 pm

This one was also a red shouldered hawk. See far fewer of these than I do red and white tailed hawks.
That's awesome, we have a family of hawks that live in the woods behind our house. We see a lot of hawk-crow fights in the summer. It's pretty sweet. I've had the hawk swoop at me while mowing the lawn. It's **** scary.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm

That's awesome, we have a family of hawks that live in the woods behind our house. We see a lot of hawk-crow fights in the summer. It's pretty sweet. I've had the hawk swoop at me while mowing the lawn. It's **** scary.
I have probably half a dozen videos of the hawks - from juveniles to adults - actively hunting squirrels in our backyard. Surprisingly have seen them succeed twice in the past, right in front of me. Pretty incredible to watch how efficient they are.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:33 pm

I have probably half a dozen videos of the hawks - from juveniles to adults - actively hunting squirrels in our backyard. Surprisingly have seen them succeed twice in the past, right in front of me. Pretty incredible to watch how efficient they are.
Sure is, nothing more relaxing than throwing on my homemade ghillie suit and taking the dslr outback and capturing everything I can.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:33 pm

lol, never change, eddy.