Randomness Dos

CBear3

Randomness Dos

Postby CBear3 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:20 pm

I’ve been having fun keeping score at my daughter’s softball game. First year of kids pitch (10U) and it’s hilarious because they can’t find the plate with a flashlight.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:54 pm

I’ve been having fun keeping score at my daughter’s softball game. First year of kids pitch (10U) and it’s hilarious because they can’t find the plate with a flashlight.
And I’ve talked about this before, but my son’s travel team started pitching six months before the little league season started. So of those 12 kids, 8-9 could pitch and all 12 were used to being pitched to by another kid. They had a leg up on the other 50 kids who didn’t play travel ball.

And most of those 12 ended up on the same team. Wonder how that happens? Bullshit. All of it.

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:07 pm

Fireworks still rolling tonight in macs neckadawoodz

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:13 pm

And I’ve talked about this before, but my son’s travel team started pitching six months before the little league season started. So of those 12 kids, 8-9 could pitch and all 12 were used to being pitched to by another kid. They had a leg up on the other 50 kids who didn’t play travel ball.

And most of those 12 ended up on the same team. Wonder how that happens? Bullshit. All of it.

I'm a competitive person, and I'm a baseball person. Travel ball is killing youth baseball though. I could write a lot more on this but it's one of the reasons you see kids start to specialize in one sport by like 10 years old now which is horse ****. I don't have an issue with a high school kid realizing he might play a little more on the diamond if he gave up basketball to go to winter baseball workouts.. but this sht at ten years old is horrendous

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 pm

How else are you supposed to waste your child's life for the small chance to make millions off them?

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:00 am

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 am

✌️

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:38 am

I'm a competitive person, and I'm a baseball person. Travel ball is killing youth baseball though. I could write a lot more on this but it's one of the reasons you see kids start to specialize in one sport by like 10 years old now which is horse ****. I don't have an issue with a high school kid realizing he might play a little more on the diamond if he gave up basketball to go to winter baseball workouts.. but this sht at ten years old is horrendous
My big question is this: Do they parents even know what the endgame is? A scholardship? Getting drafted? Playing a high level of college ball?

I didn't play in college (#h2p) but don't regret passing opportunities to play at some DIII school, put in an asinine amount of work during the offseason only to freeze my nuts off during the spring season. It really is an achievement to play in college, but I don't think parents realize that it isn't a payoff. College sports require a ton of time (sometimes at the cost of academics) and often wreck athlete's bodies. Is it worth sacrificing a child's time to play on travel leagues and skip playing another sport so they can play in the PSCA and spend their springs in college driving on a bus from IUP or Slippery Rock to Kutztown or some sht?

Dickie Dunn

Randomness Dos

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:40 am

My big question is this: Do they parents even know what the endgame is? A scholardship? Getting drafted? Playing a high level of college ball?

I didn't play in college (#h2p) but don't regret passing opportunities to play at some DIII school, put in an asinine amount of work during the offseason only to freeze my nuts off during the spring season. It really is an achievement to play in college, but I don't think parents realize that it isn't a payoff. College sports require a ton of time (sometimes at the cost of academics) and often wreck athlete's bodies. Is it worth sacrificing a child's time to play on travel leagues and skip playing another sport so they can play in the PSCA and spend their springs in college driving on a bus from IUP or Slippery Rock to Kutztown or some sht?
Is baseball even a full scholarship sport at most (any) colleges?

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:44 am

They don't know. The parents just want their kids to be on the best team around imo. Of course Grayson plays for the 10u county elite prospect scout team

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Randomness Dos

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:45 am

can kids even play in HS now at larger schools if they dont specialize?

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:46 am

For a select few kids yes. Otherwise I think you have 12 scholarships to divvy up to field a roster. Most are less than half scholarships

Dickie Dunn

Randomness Dos

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:50 am

For a select few kids yes. Otherwise I think you have 12 scholarships to divvy up to field a roster. Most are less than half scholarships
I managed to do my own research. 11.7 scholarships and any kid given a scholarship needs to be given at least 25%.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:51 am

The son of one of my coworkers played in the WPIAL and was good enough to get some feelers from D-I schools. He went to a camp at Pitt, and Joe Jordano told him that a player could come to pitt, hit .455, 20 home runs, and close out games with 95 mph heat and they still couldn't give the guy a full ride.

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am

John Steigerwald appears to be on a twitter rant over people taking pictures of food. The things people get worked up over amuse me

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:41 am

Trip McNeely

Randomness Dos

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 am

John Steigerwald appears to be on a twitter rant over people taking pictures of food. The things people get worked up over amuse me
Imagine the agony of being as miserable of a human being as John Steigerwald. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 am

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Imagine the agony of being as miserable of a human being as John Steigerwald. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it.
I keep telling myself I will not be like that in 30 years. My hope is by that point, VR technology has been perfected and I can just live out my days away from reality or traveling with my wife. :)

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:37 pm

Well that’s just ridiculous!

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:47 pm

I saw an interview with either Nick Saban or Urban Meyer a year or so ago where they said they never really invested much recruiting capital into high-level prospects who only played one sport. They said diversity of their athletic tool bag was way more useful/important than refined specialization. I thought that was an interesting take.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 pm

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 pm

They don't know. The parents just want their kids to be on the best team around imo. Of course Grayson plays for the 10u county elite prospect scout team
I have this argument with my wife often about her niece who is on a travel softball team.

I went and watched one of their games and a literal strategy was to continuously bunt because the third baseman (woman?) was slow.

Good luck getting anywhere in the actual world with that skill.

Kaiser

Randomness Dos

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:27 am

Learn to exploit weaknesses: no real life application.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:32 am

Mac, did Mrs Mac's niece's team win the game?