Randomness Dos

faftorial

Randomness Dos

Postby faftorial » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:54 pm

Can anyone recommend a good bird feeder that will not get overrun with grackles in the spring? Preferably one on Amazon?

I know they are normally gone by April but they are a menace. I filled it on Wednesday and they've shaken half the seed out of it already.
I've never heard of that bird. They sound like real bastards.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:36 pm

Can anyone recommend a good bird feeder that will not get overrun with grackles in the spring? Preferably one on Amazon?
What type of feeder are they currently overrunning? Wire mesh? Hopper? Tube-style with feeding ports?

What kind of seed are you wanting to feed (e.g., sunflower, mixed seed, etc.)?

What sort of birds are you trying to attract, or what types of birds do you usually see at the feeder?

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:07 pm

I know they are normally gone by April but they are a menace. I filled it on Wednesday and they've shaken half the seed out of it already.
I've never heard of that bird. They sound like real bastards.

Can't believe you've never seen them out your way. They come in droves. We also see the big flocks of starlings a lot.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:09 pm

What type of feeder are they currently overrunning? Wire mesh? Hopper? Tube-style with feeding ports?

What kind of seed are you wanting to feed (e.g., sunflower, mixed seed, etc.)?

What sort of birds are you trying to attract, or what types of birds do you usually see at the feeder?
Simply put, I'd like to see more of the smaller songbirds. Less sparrows, crows, etc. I currently have a tube style feeder that hangs from a hook out in the yard.

One nice thing is that living in Lancaster County, I don't really have to deal with squirrels too much. Mostly rabbits around here.

faftorial

Randomness Dos

Postby faftorial » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Can't believe you've never seen them out your way. They come in droves. We also see the big flocks of starlings a lot.
For whatever reason I don't ever get those birds from the huge swarms that come through the area in my yard.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 pm

Simply put, I'd like to see more of the smaller songbirds. Less sparrows, crows, etc. I currently have a tube style feeder that hangs from a hook out in the yard.

One nice thing is that living in Lancaster County, I don't really have to deal with squirrels too much. Mostly rabbits around here.

Might try something like this mesh feeder.

This is intended for finches, chickadees, wrens, nuthatches, titmice, and similar "clinging" birds. Grackles are more walking/perching birds, so they will have more of a problem trying to hang on to this feeder. But that would also apply to birds like cardinals, which also aren't so good at clinging. Mesh feeders like this one are pretty much only for sunflower seed, but in my experience sunflower seed is the best seed for the widest variety of birds. A lot of mixed birdseeds contain stuff that birds don't really like, and they pick out the sunflower and leave the rest.

I pair one of these mesh feeders with a hopper feeder like this one, so I can cover both clinging and perching birds, and if something comes along and empties one feeder, it usually won't also be able to do the other one.

I have both of these feeders and like both of them. Birds Choice and Stokes Select are both quality brands for bird feeders.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:35 am

"His voice is a little deeper than most cats."

I'd say so...

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:55 am

Excellent @Shyster. Thanks

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:00 am

Is this real? :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 am

It gives me the willies seeing a cat up on a food prep surface. :lol:

faftorial

Randomness Dos

Postby faftorial » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:54 am

Have you never had a cat?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:58 am

After spending so many years trash talking people, I think I’ve settled on “who is the clown?” as the ultimate put down. It’s body bag status. You are calling someone a clown, which is pretty damn insulting, but you’re also saying they aren’t even a famous clown. They are unknown pos kid’s party entertainment.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:21 pm

After spending so many years trash talking people, I think I’ve settled on “who is the clown?” as the ultimate put down. It’s body bag status. You are calling someone a clown, which is pretty damn insulting, but you’re also saying they aren’t even a famous clown. They are unknown pos kid’s party entertainment.
how many legit trash talking situations are you coming across these days?

meow

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:24 pm

how many legit trash talking situations are you coming across these days?
Depressingly low. I’m basically only trash talking mrs meow when we play the new Mario vida game together.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:36 pm

Have you never had a cat?
Yes, I had cats growing up. We had a squirt gun each time they got on top of a table or counter.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:53 pm

This is actual research done by actual researchers and published in an actual journal:

College men are more willing to help women with erect nipples, according to new research
https://www.psypost.org/2021/03/college ... arch-59941

faftorial

Randomness Dos

Postby faftorial » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:09 pm

This is actual research done by actual researchers and published in an actual journal:

College men are more willing to help women with erect nipples, according to new research
Sounds like good scholarly research to me.

meow

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Wonder if they need any more test subjects?

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:12 pm

Are your nipples hard?

Pavel Bure

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:50 am

Anyone remember a Thriftstore Youtuber? I can’t find the channel, I’m pretty sure it was mentioned here but a search of “thrift” yielded nothing. I wonder if it was on the old board.

King Colby

Randomness Dos

Postby King Colby » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:00 am

I can confirm this

meow

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:04 am

Are your nipples hard?
I’d be willing to participate as a member of either control group

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:16 am

Anyone remember a Thriftstore Youtuber? I can’t find the channel, I’m pretty sure it was mentioned here but a search of “thrift” yielded nothing. I wonder if it was on the old board.
One of the channels I watch does this. He's mostly looking for vintage gaming stuff, but comments on a lot of things:

Pavel Bure

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:21 am

One of the channels I watch does this. He's mostly looking for vintage gaming stuff, but comments on a lot of things:

This is it! Thank you. I was losing it over the bullshit OMG LOOK WHAT WE FOUND THRIFTING junk that a general search came up. I know he falls off later on due to the realization that there’s a market for older games but I just enjoy the straight forward nature and narration.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:25 am

Cool. He has a few different rotating series and they're generally enjoyable. He just did (another) retrospective on NFSII SE and I was lapping it up.