Randomness Dos

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:54 am

Why is this in the Randomness thread?
Because I'm not posting in that shithole of a political thread.

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:55 am

So you’re shitting up this thread?!?!

:lol:

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:56 am

Almost like we could use a separate election thread.

RonnieFranchise

Randomness Dos

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:57 am

Example of how bad mine can get -- I stayed at the Marriott in Atlanta a few years ago and they put me on the 30th floor. The way to my room was through a clear elevator that exited into a 'hallway' that was basically an open-air atrium that if I wanted to, I could peer over the side and see to the lobby bottom. The only way I could get to my room and survive was to stare directly at the numbered keypad in the elevator and then hug the wall in the hallway. There was more than one day when I broke out in sweats on the ride in the elevator.
I've stayed there before. That was horrifying. Don't remember what floor I was on but I'd wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it.

The atrium style Embassy Suites are no treat either but at least those are 5-10 floors usually.

As far as the original video- that type of project was planned with some allowance for payouts to families of workers who were estimated to die working on it. I mean- safety technology has really advanced in the past 90 years but seriously there wasn't technology to tie workers off in 1929, or even an idea to?
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 am

So you’re shitting up this thread?!?!

:lol:
Nah, I'm only asking about ballots.

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:03 am

The voter services website definitely doesn't update well. Mine doesn't list the 'ballot mailed' date, but already shows that it was received back and recorded.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:05 am

The voter services website definitely doesn't update well. Mine doesn't list the 'ballot mailed' date, but already shows that it was received back and recorded.
Okay, thank you. This gives me a little hope then.

Dickie Dunn

Randomness Dos

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:13 am

This is unbelievable. Herzog is a world treasure.

He’s the true Most Interesting Man in the World.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Joe Johns has some issues with racoons at a live White House standup :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm

We had a guy that worked here for about a year before he was demoted to a different position, and then he "retired". I was actually on a phone call with him and one of his customers toward the end of his time here (before I knew he was leaving) and after the call ended, he asked if I would stick around to chat... yeah sure. He said that because I was one of his closest friends (I'm not) he wanted to let me know that he was retiring. I was about halfway through congratulating him and asking about his retirement plans when he said "Because I have cancer..."

wtf... ummm. Okay.

He goes on to explain that they're not planning on treating it or anything because it's a slow cancer and he'll probably die of old age before the cancer gets to him, blah, blah, blah. The whole thing was very uncomfortable for me, but most of my interactions with this guy were uncomfortable. He "retired" in August and I hadn't seen or heard from him since. Today at lunch, I went to Old Navy to pick up some masks for the family. Side note: Old Navy masks are great, if you're looking to buy a 5 pack of washable re-usable masks hit them up. And there he was... stocking the shelves.

I'm pretty sure he saw me, but I think he was embarrassed to come say hi. I pretended like I didn't see him. I don't know why he's still working. I texted a coworker about it and he said the dude has like 3 part time jobs at the moment, but he didn't know where. I just don't get it.... he's in his mid/upper 70's. If I get that old and I don't have the ability to run out the clock on a beach or or at a cabin by a lake or with my daughter/potential grandkids, just put a bullet in me.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:57 pm

We had a guy that worked here for about a year before he was demoted to a different position, and then he "retired". I was actually on a phone call with him and one of his customers toward the end of his time here (before I knew he was leaving) and after the call ended, he asked if I would stick around to chat... yeah sure. He said that because I was one of his closest friends (I'm not) he wanted to let me know that he was retiring. I was about halfway through congratulating him and asking about his retirement plans when he said "Because I have cancer..."

wtf... ummm. Okay.

He goes on to explain that they're not planning on treating it or anything because it's a slow cancer and he'll probably die of old age before the cancer gets to him, blah, blah, blah. The whole thing was very uncomfortable for me, but most of my interactions with this guy were uncomfortable. He "retired" in August and I hadn't seen or heard from him since. Today at lunch, I went to Old Navy to pick up some masks for the family. Side note: Old Navy masks are great, if you're looking to buy a 5 pack of washable re-usable masks hit them up. And there he was... stocking the shelves.

I'm pretty sure he saw me, but I think he was embarrassed to come say hi. I pretended like I didn't see him. I don't know why he's still working. I texted a coworker about it and he said the dude has like 3 part time jobs at the moment, but he didn't know where. I just don't get it.... he's in his mid/upper 70's. If I get that old and I don't have the ability to run out the clock on a beach or or at a cabin by a lake or with my daughter/potential grandkids, just put a bullet in me.
I've known two people at my company that died (in their 70s) while still employed. One was sudden over the weekend, the other after dealing with multiple health issues on LTIR.

Somewhat side note, my dad told me a few months ago that he had prostate cancer, and had been dealing with it for 2 years. It just recently became bad enough to the point where they required surgery to remove it. He just had his surgery last week and is doing fine. The point being, he's due to retire next January. It really put a shot across the bow for me. He's been talking about retirement for so many years that it would have absolutely devastated me if this took a different turn and he didn't get to enjoy the back end of his life.

tldr; Life is precious, enjoy it while you can. And retire early if at all possible.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:58 pm

My MIL retired, received one pension payment, and promptly passed away. I plan to work to my death but not like that.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 pm

What in the world did she spend that pension money on?

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:18 pm

If it's like anything else of value in the house around that time my BIL took it.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm

My wife's principal back when we first met worked for 40 years in the same school district. Retired on a Friday, had a great retirement party on Saturday, golfed with his sons Sunday, dropped dead at the breakfast table Monday morning - his real first day of retirement.

Talk about a **** sandwich. It's that kind of thing that I dread. Grinding at a miserable job (I've got that box checked) and dying before you can enjoy the fruits of your labors.

He was such a good guy, too. They named a new school for him, which was a fitting tribute to a lifelong educator.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:11 pm

I put my ballot in the mailbox yesterday. Got an email 3 hours later saying "Your mail-in ballot is on its way to you".

... then what the hell did I turn in?
yes i realize they were probably delayed on sending the email
I follow my local crooks politicians on Facebook, and one of them posted something yesterday about this. They made some change to the state database where basically everyone who had requested a ballot got that email, regardless of whether one's ballot has already been sent or even received back. I guess people were calling her office and asking if someone was trying to steal their vote or something.

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:09 am

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:43 am

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:19 am

I still get nightmares from camping in Belize and hearing these **** scream

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you