Randomness Dos

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Tue May 26, 2020 6:41 pm

That's awesome, eddy. We think there might be a hawk nest in one of the big trees in our neighbor's yard, as we've seen a few in-and-outs over the past week or so.
I've been telling the kids that I have them trained to swoop down at them if they act up. So far so good.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 pm

I’m on mobile and the third picture makes the bottom one look like a vulture based on its wings and head, so my bad.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue May 26, 2020 6:58 pm

Birdwatching is one of those things that is reportedly exploding in popularity due to the lockdowns.

My mother was a bird lover and a long-time member of the Audubon Society. I'm not as interested in birds, but I've been putting out birdfeeders for years because I knew she would like it. For being fairly close to the city in the North Hills, I've recorded a whole lot of species over the years, including some rarer birds like Pileated Woodpeckers and Fox Sparrows. Right now I have a Robin nesting over my front door and a Carolina Wren nesting in my back yard.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 pm

We just added a single bird feeder to our backyard a couple months ago. F**king things eat all of the feed in like 30 hours.

We also have a lot of different plants and things that attract hummingbirds and butterflies and the like.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 26, 2020 7:13 pm

I stopped filling our bird feeder due to the squirrels. F’in rodents are relentless. I tried putting the feeder on a hanging flower pole and the still climbed it. Lathered it in crisco and they still made their way up.

My in-laws are avid bird watchers so they’ll sometimes leave a pad of paper of all the birds they saw when they watched the kids. There’s a decent mix of birds that come through

The other day I caught a hawk swooping up a chipmunk. Was like watching the nature channel.

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 26, 2020 7:20 pm

I have this one got damn bird that flew into the window a few feet from where I work about 15 times during a video call today

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:21 pm

I can relate to the squirrels. They decimate they dood in our feeder constantly. I just bought a new hummingbird feeder that I hope works better than the last, as I’d love to see more of those specifically. Even got some window feeders to see if I can get them to come up close.

We’ve seen some uncommon birds that we generally don’t see lately. Last week it was a bluebird, and the week before a gold finch.

If my wife’s garden would start throwing out some damn flowers, we’d probably have better luck on the hummers.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:22 pm

I have this one got damn bird that flew into the window a few feet from where I work about 15 times during a video call today
We had a baby sparrow do that in our slider this weekend right in front of my kid, who freaked out because of how badly the thing was twitching. 10 minutes of basically no movement and he just wakes up and flies away.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Now I wonder how the Hays eagles faired this year. Been a year now since I stopped working for the company that managed the project

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 pm

I've had fairly good success with squirrels by using mounting poles with squirrel baffles installed, like this guy is using:

As the guy in the video mentions, you also have to make sure the feeders are far enough away from trees, porch roofs, etc. that a squirrel can't make the jump, and squirrels can jump pretty far.

For hummingbird feeders, make sure you clean them regularly, as the sugar water is also good food for bacteria. A good way to keep ants out of the feeders is to use a water-filled protector like this:

It basically creates a moat that ants won't be able to swim across.

For birdseed, a lot of the seed blends are full of stuff that birds don't like all that much. To attract the widest variety of seed-eating birds, look for 100% black oil sunflower seed. Birds like cardinals, chickadees, finches, etc. will eat that preferentially over other foods.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:48 pm

I’ve tried hoods like that. Unless you’re using a 7+ ft tall pole, I wouldn’t have faith in it. My feeder is 6’ above the ground and I’ve watched those **** jump from the ground straight onto the feeder.

As for seed, I use a local blend from our nursery that seems to work well. I think one issue with our hummingbird feeder is that it’s basically hidden under the tree. If I start seeing success with the window feeders, I’ll buy a pile and hang it at the end of our garden.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue May 26, 2020 8:01 pm

I believe the poles I am using are the same ones in the YouTube video. I did have to replace a larger feeder with a smaller/shorter one because the squirrels were able to reach the bottom of the first one. But I think I've managed to find a setup where everything is out of reach. I haven't seen a squirrel on the feeders in months.

I do have to take down the feeders in the evening because raccoons and possums can climb over the baffles. If a lot of seed seems to be disappearing overnight, that's probably where it's going.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:19 pm

We hang our bird feeder from a low branch of a mature lemon tree. The feeder itself is about a foot or so long, and the hanging contraption is about a foot or so as well. Ends up dangling perhaps 3 feet above the ground. We haven't had any issues with squirrels or other critters. But we also have a neighbor behind us with three outdoor cats that use our yard to conduct their small animal murder rituals, so maybe there's another deterrent at play.

faftorial

Randomness Dos

Postby faftorial » Tue May 26, 2020 8:39 pm

We hang our bird feeder from a low branch of a mature lemon tree. The feeder itself is about a foot or so long, and the hanging contraption is about a foot or so as well. Ends up dangling perhaps 3 feet above the ground. We haven't had any issues with squirrels or other critters. But we also have a neighbor behind us with three outdoor cats that use our yard to conduct their small animal murder rituals, so maybe there's another deterrent at play.
Cats can be viscous. Mine used to leave nothing but a foot when he slaughtered rabbits.

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 26, 2020 8:41 pm

I used to have 2 cats. One say I caught one of them eating a chipmunk while the other batted the chipmunk's severed head too and fro like a ball.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Tue May 26, 2020 8:55 pm

Because you dumb idiots are talking about birds and this other nonsense, I got a facebook ad for this stuff...

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 pm

PFiDC

Randomness Dos

Postby PFiDC » Tue May 26, 2020 9:27 pm

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 pm

Note that the opt out is browser installation specific. You'll have to go through the exercise on every browser on every device (unless you use Tor, in which case you're good to go already).

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm

We're having an issue at the Latrobe house. The birds are sitting on my car mirrors and door sills and fighting themselves in the mirror. When they tire themselves out they take a big **** on the mirror housing. Feeling refreshed, they start over with the fighting...

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 26, 2020 9:55 pm

We're having an issue at the Latrobe house. The birds are sitting on my car mirrors and door sills and fighting themselves in the mirror. When they tire themselves out they take a big **** on the mirror housing. Feeling refreshed, they start over with the fighting...
Yeah the mulch under that window is covered in bird poop. Annoying

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue May 26, 2020 10:46 pm

It is prime warbler season you bird watching wannabes

Orlando Penguin

Randomness Dos

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue May 26, 2020 10:58 pm

The other day I caught a hawk swooping up a chipmunk. Was like watching the nature channel.
My house butts up to some woods so I get all kinds of wildlife making noises day and night. Squirrels constantly run along my fence so I won't dare put out any feeders. Those f'ers will empty them quickly. Also have a hawk that makes plenty of noise and will sometimes roost on my fence. I keep waiting for it to pick off one of the squirrels around the area. Back in the fall, I watched as the hawk was sitting on a fence and a squirrel was about 50 feet away. I had the popcorn ready. The squirrel ran TOWARD the hawk. The hawk flew away. I don't understand biology sometimes.

genoscoif

Randomness Dos

Postby genoscoif » Wed May 27, 2020 12:21 am

We had, for about a week, a Scarlet Tanager hanging in our backyard. I'd never seen one and had to look up what it was. Absolutely gorgeous...almost neon red. It looked like it was glowing against the light green spring colors. I haven't seen him in about a week, so I think he's moved on. Still, glad he stopped by.

Internet pics for reference...couldn't ever catch him sitting still long enough to get a good pic

the wicked child

Randomness Dos

Postby the wicked child » Wed May 27, 2020 1:00 am

The talk of squirrels and bird feeders reminded me of this story from a few years back: https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?p ... 0829&num=0