Randomness Dos

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:19 pm

One of my best friends did a morning/brunch wedding with a buffet, and I thought it was great. He also went with no band/DJ and no dancing. They had a live string quartet play for 45 minutes or so, and then they switched over to mix CDs on the room's PA system where the bride and groom alternated their favorite songs. Everything started at 11:00 and was done by around 14:00. Perfect.

I recognize that a lot of people like to dance at weddings, but at the same time a lot of people aren't interested (especially the older folks), and the loud music makes it difficult for those people to talk to one another and catch up. A wedding is, to some extent, also a family reunion. My brother also went with a no-dancing wedding, and it was also very well done.
The concept of a brunch wedding sounded great to me. I love brunch. However brunch loses its luster when it's served at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Factorial

Randomness Dos

Postby Factorial » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 pm

2:30 is nap time.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 am

If it's a quick wedding, I'm fine with that as well. I'm pretty much over weddings at this point. I enjoy dancing, but would probably enjoy the free weekend more. It's fun if it's in a different city and my family is not part of the party and we can explore and turn it into a mini vacation. I had 250ish at my wedding 14 years ago and people still talk about how it was the best party they've been too. Had the reception at the priory and it was a good time had by all, there was fist fights, a frank Sinatra impersonator, my air band from college got to play, and my wife and I took Arthur Murray dance lessons to dance to our choreographed Robert plant song.

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 am

There has never been a more “Eddysnake” post than this^^^^!

RonnieFranchise

Randomness Dos

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 am

I assume this is not the Fez in Aliquippa but also like stepping back 40 years in time.
It was indeed. Quite an experience.

First wedding I've been to that allowed shots. I'm hurting bad today.
Been there twice.

First was the first outing we had after our oldest was born so 18 years ago. Bride was a friend of mine from college. Came in to the reception to Boys of Winter. Eventually lost her mind and marriage ended up in very ugly divorce where oddly I ended up remaining friends with her husband.

Second was a pastor's retirement party. Nothing to really see there.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:41 am

Neighbor cats have taken to using our backyard as a murder den. Last couple nights, we've seen them slaughter a mouse, a small gopher-type looking thing, and a bird. We have a couple rabbits that hang out in our front lawn that are probably a bit too big for the cats, and I can only be thankful that Shaf's muderdoodle is on the other side of the country.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Pittsburgh people. Is this cicadas thing actually real? DVE spent a segment moaning about it this morning, and the evening news tends to bring it up a few times a week. But I have a house in Allison Park and in the country in Latrobe (adjacent lots are zoned as farms) and I've yet to hear a single cicada yet this year. Not much of an invasion, imo.

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:18 pm

I haven't seen a one across the valley, nor can I hear them. They seem to be pretty scattered around the area. At my folks place in Pine Twp., I've seen a bunch and can hear them trilling in the woods. I can also hear them at work, in Moon.

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:19 pm

I lived in MD 17 years ago, and it was way worse down there. Swarms everywhere.

willeyeam

Randomness Dos

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pm

@litt

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 pm

I can also hear them at work, in Moon.
I was surprised at how loud they were in the forested areas near the Sheraton in Moon over the weekend. Definitely don't have them to that extent back east.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Neighbor cats have taken to using our backyard as a murder den. Last couple nights, we've seen them slaughter a mouse, a small gopher-type looking thing, and a bird. We have a couple rabbits that hang out in our front lawn that are probably a bit too big for the cats, and I can only be thankful that Shaf's muderdoodle is on the other side of the country.
:lol:

Ya know, this is one of my pet fcking peeves. Cat owners that think it's acceptable for their precious kitty to wander around outside and onto neighbors' property, but you know if your dog was in their yard, you'd be hearing about it right away. They piss and sht everywhere, leave injured birds all over the place, and generally destroy things. The next cat I see in my yard I'm treating as feral.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:50 pm

1) whereabouts? I also lived in MD in that time frame
2) I'm guessing you were a squirt at the time, as I have you pegged for early 30's at best.

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm

2) I'm guessing you were a squirt at the time, as I have you pegged for early 30's at best.
Sykesville, about 40 minutes from Baltimore. I was 12 at the time - I thought the event was pretty cool.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Randomness Dos

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Pittsburgh people. Is this cicadas thing actually real? DVE spent a segment moaning about it this morning, and the evening news tends to bring it up a few times a week. But I have a house in Allison Park and in the country in Latrobe (adjacent lots are zoned as farms) and I've yet to hear a single cicada yet this year. Not much of an invasion, imo.
My parents live near Cranberry and have them.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Randomness Dos

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:46 pm

i had a cicada carcass on my deck this weekend - one of the birds got them. i have heard from colleagues that is bad more east and north of the city but haven't seen anything bad yet.

Factorial

Randomness Dos

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Ya know, this is one of my pet fcking peeves. Cat owners that think it's acceptable for their precious kitty to wander around outside and onto neighbors' property, but you know if your dog was in their yard, you'd be hearing about it right away. They piss and sht everywhere, leave injured birds all over the place, and generally destroy things. The next cat I see in my yard I'm treating as feral.
Hopefully they'll band together and all pounce on you when you leave the house.

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Hopefully they'll band together and all pounce on you when you leave the house.
Word.

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Sykesville, about 40 minutes from Baltimore. I was 12 at the time - I thought the event was pretty cool.
I was in the boonies - St. Mary's county.

Viva la Ben

Randomness Dos

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:33 pm

I’ve heard the cicadas din in both coraopolis and kittanning.

RonnieFranchise

Randomness Dos

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Oh yeah they are all over the place in BeavCo. Any forested area you’ll hear them.

My dogs scour the yard for them. They are a cocker spaniel delicacy.

mac5155

Randomness Dos

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:05 pm

None in Fayette Co yet. But leaving work in moon my God you can hear them with the windows up and radio on.

Dickie Dunn

Randomness Dos

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Last Monday my buddy had one hitchhike on his pant leg for four holes at Cranberry Highlands. The entire course was echoing with them.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:13 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 am

Last Monday my buddy had one hitchhike on his pant leg for four holes at Cranberry Highlands. The entire course was echoing with them.
During my recently discussed trip to Pittsburgh national, they were everywhere. On one of the ohles on the back nine, I was in mid backswing and saw one attached to the back of my left shoulder. One would assume that the natural reaction to seeing a giant gross bug on one's shoulder would be to shank the ball, but instead I striped one right down the shitter. it was my best drive of the day

tldr nick kingham should probably pitch with a cicada on his shoulder.