Randomness Dos

Silentom

Randomness Dos

Postby Silentom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Stumbled onto a great rant about the Ocean Sunfish.

For those that don't want go to reddit:
Disclaimer, I care about marine life more than I care about anything else, for real. Except this big dumb idiot. And it's not like an ironic thing, I mean it IS hilarious to me and they ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE PLAYED ON EARTH but I seriously **** hate them.

THE MOLA MOLA FISH (OR OCEAN SUNFISH)

They are the world's largest boney fish, weighing up to 5,000 pounds. And since they have very little girth, that just makes them these absolutely giant **** dinner plates that God must have accidentally dropped while washing dishes one day and shrugged his shoulders at because no one could have imagined this would happen. AND WITH NO PURPOSE. EVERY POUND OF THAT IS A WASTED POUND AND EVERY FOOT OF IT (10 FT BY 14 FT) IS WASTED SPACE.

They are so completely useless that scientists even debate about how they move. They have little control other than some minor wiggling. Some say they must just push water out of their mouths for direction (?????). They COULD use their back fin EXCEPT GUESS WHAT IT DOESNT **** GROW. It just continually folds in on itself, so the freaking cells are being made, this piece of floating garbage just doesn't put them where they need to **** go.

So they don't have swim bladders. You know, the one thing that every fish has to make sure it doesn't just sink to the bottom of the ocean when they stop moving and can stay the right side up. This creature. That can barely move to begin with. Can never stop its continuous tour of idiocy across the ocean or it'll **** sink. EXCEPT. EXCEPT. When they get stuck on top of the water! Which happens frequently! Because without the whole swim bladder thing, if the ocean pushes over THE THINNEST BUT LARGEST MOST TOPPLE-ABLE FISH ON THE PLANET, **** outta luck! There is no creature on this earth that needs a swim bladder more than this spit in the face of nature, AND YET. Some scientists have speculated that when they do that, they are absorbing energy from the sun because no one **** knows how they manage to get any real energy to begin with. So they need the sun I guess. But good news, when they end up stuck like that, it gives birds a chance to land on their goddamn island of a body and eat the bugs and parasites out of its skin because it's basically a slowly migrating cesspool. Pros and cons.

"If they are so huge, they must at least be decent predators." No. No. The most dangerous thing about them is, as you may have guessed, their stupidity. They have caused the death of one person before. Because it jumped onto a boat. On a human. And in 2005 it decided to relive its mighty glory days and do it again, this time landing on a four-year-old boy. Luckily Byron sustained no injuries. Way to go, fish. Great job.

They mostly only eat jellyfish because of course they do, they could only eat something that has no brain and a possibility of drifting into their mouths I guess. Everything they do eat has almost zero nutritional value and because it's so stupidly **** big, it has to eat a ton of the almost no nutritional value stuff to stay alive. Dumb. See that ridiculous open mouth? Do not let that expression fool you, they just don't have the goddamn ability to close their mouths because their teeth are fused together, and ya know what, it is good it floats around with such a clueless expression on its face, because it is in fact clueless as all ****.

They do SOMETIMES get eaten though. BUT HARDLY. No animal truly uses them as a food source, but instead (which has lead us to said photo) will usually just maim the **** out of them for kicks. Seals have been seen playing with their fins like frisbees. Probably the most useful thing to ever come from them.

"Wow, you raise some good points here, this fish truly is proof that God has abandoned us." Yes, thank you. "But if they're so bad at literally everything, why haven't they gone extinct." Great question.

BECAUSE THIS THING IS SO WORTHLESS IT DOESNT REALIZE IT SHOULD NOT EXIST. IT IS SO UNAWARE OF LITERALLY **** EVERYTHING THAT IT DOESNT REALIZE THAT IT'S DOING MAYBE THE WORST **** JOB OF BEING A FISH, OR DEBATABLY THE WORST JOB OF BEING A CLUSTER OF CELLS THAN ANY OTHER CLUSTER OF CELLS. SO WHAT DOES IT DO? IT LAYS THE MOST EGGS OUT OF EVERYTHING. Besides some bugs, there are some ants and stuff that'll lay more. IT WILL LAY 300 MILLION EGGS AT ONE TIME. 300,000,000. IT SURVIVES BECAUSE IT WOULD BE STATISTICALLY IMPROBABLE, DARE I SAY IMPOSSIBLE, THAT THERE WOULDNT BE AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE 300,000,000 (that is EACH time they lay eggs) LEFT SURVIVING AT THE END OF THE DAY.

And this concludes why I hate the **** out of this complete failure of evolution, the Ocean Sunfish. If I ever see one, I will throw rocks at it.

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I've seen one while out on the ocean fishing (much smaller than the one pictured) and they really are odd.

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:29 pm

To actually answer your question... I developed an astigmatism in my right eye over time. I wore contacts for sports and whatnot, but typically am a glasses person. I didn't really notice anything with going from non-astigmatism to astigmatism contacts. Essentially the ones that are for astigmatisms have little tiny weights in them to ensure that it's in the proper orientation. My left eye has always had an astigmatism, and from the get go, I've never noticed a difference.
do you have nerd science glasses to go along with your nerd work clothes and nerd work shoes
Pretty much my exact glasses.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 pm

I've seen one while out on the ocean fishing (much smaller than the one pictured) and they really are odd.

probably the same size as the one pictured. wide angle lens + fish closer than human = prank on the viewer

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:57 pm

i'm pretty nice to customer service people but i am not above cursing and screaming at the robots on the phone that i have to endure before speaking to them.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Dolphins are wicked smart:
At the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi, Kelly the dolphin has built up quite a reputation. All the dolphins at the institute are trained to hold onto any litter that falls into their pools until they see a trainer, when they can trade the litter for fish. In this way, the dolphins help to keep their pools clean.

Kelly has taken this task one step further. When people drop paper into the water she hides it under a rock at the bottom of the pool. The next time a trainer passes, she goes down to the rock and tears off a piece of paper to give to the trainer. After a fish reward, she goes back down, tears off another piece of paper, gets another fish, and so on. This behaviour is interesting because it shows that Kelly has a sense of the future and delays gratification. She has realised that a big piece of paper gets the same reward as a small piece and so delivers only small pieces to keep the extra food coming. She has, in effect, trained the humans.

Her cunning has not stopped there. One day, when a gull flew into her pool, she grabbed it, waited for the trainers and then gave it to them. It was a large bird and so the trainers gave her lots of fish. This seemed to give Kelly a new idea. The next time she was fed, instead of eating the last fish, she took it to the bottom of the pool and hid it under the rock where she had been hiding the paper. When no trainers were present, she brought the fish to the surface and used it to lure the gulls, which she would catch to get even more fish. After mastering this lucrative strategy, she taught her calf, who taught other calves, and so gull-baiting has become a hot game among the dolphins.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/200 ... ch.science

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm

That's amazing. And terrifying.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Woah.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:11 pm

That is incredible.

grunthy

Randomness Dos

Postby grunthy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:13 pm

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Predicted the future again...

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm

At the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi, Kelly the dolphin has built up quite a reputation. All the dolphins at the institute are trained to hold onto any litter that falls into their pools until they see a trainer, when they can trade the litter for fish. In this way, the dolphins help to keep their pools clean.

Kelly has taken this task one step further. When people drop paper into the water she hides it under a rock at the bottom of the pool. The next time a trainer passes, she goes down to the rock and tears off a piece of paper to give to the trainer. After a fish reward, she goes back down, tears off another piece of paper, gets another fish, and so on. This behaviour is interesting because it shows that Kelly has a sense of the future and delays gratification. She has realised that a big piece of paper gets the same reward as a small piece and so delivers only small pieces to keep the extra food coming. She has, in effect, trained the humans.

Her cunning has not stopped there. One day, when a gull flew into her pool, she grabbed it, waited for the trainers and then gave it to them. It was a large bird and so the trainers gave her lots of fish. This seemed to give Kelly a new idea. The next time she was fed, instead of eating the last fish, she took it to the bottom of the pool and hid it under the rock where she had been hiding the paper. When no trainers were present, she brought the fish to the surface and used it to lure the gulls, which she would catch to get even more fish. After mastering this lucrative strategy, she taught her calf, who taught other calves, and so gull-baiting has become a hot game among the dolphins.
BTW, where did you find this? The story is 15 years old.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Stumbled onto a great rant about the Ocean Sunfish.

For those that don't want go to reddit:
Disclaimer, I care about marine life more than I care about anything else, for real. Except this big dumb idiot. And it's not like an ironic thing, I mean it IS hilarious to me and they ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE PLAYED ON EARTH but I seriously **** hate them.

THE MOLA MOLA FISH (OR OCEAN SUNFISH)

They are the world's largest boney fish, weighing up to 5,000 pounds. And since they have very little girth, that just makes them these absolutely giant **** dinner plates that God must have accidentally dropped while washing dishes one day and shrugged his shoulders at because no one could have imagined this would happen. AND WITH NO PURPOSE. EVERY POUND OF THAT IS A WASTED POUND AND EVERY FOOT OF IT (10 FT BY 14 FT) IS WASTED SPACE.

They are so completely useless that scientists even debate about how they move. They have little control other than some minor wiggling. Some say they must just push water out of their mouths for direction (?????). They COULD use their back fin EXCEPT GUESS WHAT IT DOESNT **** GROW. It just continually folds in on itself, so the freaking cells are being made, this piece of floating garbage just doesn't put them where they need to **** go.

So they don't have swim bladders. You know, the one thing that every fish has to make sure it doesn't just sink to the bottom of the ocean when they stop moving and can stay the right side up. This creature. That can barely move to begin with. Can never stop its continuous tour of idiocy across the ocean or it'll **** sink. EXCEPT. EXCEPT. When they get stuck on top of the water! Which happens frequently! Because without the whole swim bladder thing, if the ocean pushes over THE THINNEST BUT LARGEST MOST TOPPLE-ABLE FISH ON THE PLANET, **** outta luck! There is no creature on this earth that needs a swim bladder more than this spit in the face of nature, AND YET. Some scientists have speculated that when they do that, they are absorbing energy from the sun because no one **** knows how they manage to get any real energy to begin with. So they need the sun I guess. But good news, when they end up stuck like that, it gives birds a chance to land on their goddamn island of a body and eat the bugs and parasites out of its skin because it's basically a slowly migrating cesspool. Pros and cons.

"If they are so huge, they must at least be decent predators." No. No. The most dangerous thing about them is, as you may have guessed, their stupidity. They have caused the death of one person before. Because it jumped onto a boat. On a human. And in 2005 it decided to relive its mighty glory days and do it again, this time landing on a four-year-old boy. Luckily Byron sustained no injuries. Way to go, fish. Great job.

They mostly only eat jellyfish because of course they do, they could only eat something that has no brain and a possibility of drifting into their mouths I guess. Everything they do eat has almost zero nutritional value and because it's so stupidly **** big, it has to eat a ton of the almost no nutritional value stuff to stay alive. Dumb. See that ridiculous open mouth? Do not let that expression fool you, they just don't have the goddamn ability to close their mouths because their teeth are fused together, and ya know what, it is good it floats around with such a clueless expression on its face, because it is in fact clueless as all ****.

They do SOMETIMES get eaten though. BUT HARDLY. No animal truly uses them as a food source, but instead (which has lead us to said photo) will usually just maim the **** out of them for kicks. Seals have been seen playing with their fins like frisbees. Probably the most useful thing to ever come from them.

"Wow, you raise some good points here, this fish truly is proof that God has abandoned us." Yes, thank you. "But if they're so bad at literally everything, why haven't they gone extinct." Great question.

BECAUSE THIS THING IS SO WORTHLESS IT DOESNT REALIZE IT SHOULD NOT EXIST. IT IS SO UNAWARE OF LITERALLY **** EVERYTHING THAT IT DOESNT REALIZE THAT IT'S DOING MAYBE THE WORST **** JOB OF BEING A FISH, OR DEBATABLY THE WORST JOB OF BEING A CLUSTER OF CELLS THAN ANY OTHER CLUSTER OF CELLS. SO WHAT DOES IT DO? IT LAYS THE MOST EGGS OUT OF EVERYTHING. Besides some bugs, there are some ants and stuff that'll lay more. IT WILL LAY 300 MILLION EGGS AT ONE TIME. 300,000,000. IT SURVIVES BECAUSE IT WOULD BE STATISTICALLY IMPROBABLE, DARE I SAY IMPOSSIBLE, THAT THERE WOULDNT BE AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE 300,000,000 (that is EACH time they lay eggs) LEFT SURVIVING AT THE END OF THE DAY.

And this concludes why I hate the **** out of this complete failure of evolution, the Ocean Sunfish. If I ever see one, I will throw rocks at it.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 pm

@tifosi77 what do I do in San Jose next week? Will be there for a couple days for bidness

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:19 pm

There's nothing to do in San Jose. Well, there's a P.F. Chang's...that's good eatin' I've learned from a source who is a big wig in the NFL...

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 pm

I've never actually been to SanJo. Mrs Tif is there for work every five or six weeks, and she says there are a lot of really good Vietnamese restaurants. The Winchester Mystery House usually tops lists of things-to-do there. Did you check the Sharks' schedule?

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Oh, the Harlem Globetrotters are in town for a few nights at the SAP Center next week. Is that sufficiently boat floaty to Sir Shmengy?

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Thank you for the meager help. It is appreciated.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 pm

I believe they have a hockey team...

Kicksave

Randomness Dos

Postby Kicksave » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Gross, I clicked on the button to show me the last post I read in this thread. All the way back to November 17th.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 pm

BTW, where did you find this? The story is 15 years old.
This popped up in my Twitter feed...it is a top shared article on the Guardian, so someone must have dug it up and started sharing the hell out of it today.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 pm

I believe they have a hockey team...
ah f*** I'm going to miss pens sharks by 2 freaking days.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Hmm.... I thought I was going to be out of town when the Guins came out here this season, but that is apparently not the case. Maybe will go check it out.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 pm

@tifosi77 what do I do in San Jose next week? Will be there for a couple days for bidness
I doubt you will have time, but if you do, Monterey is worth a relatively quick road trip.

They have a great Egyptian museum there too.

columbia

Randomness Dos

Postby columbia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Does Kicksave realize that only mods can post in his thread requesting board changes? Maybe he does...