Randomness Dos

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Best "budget" pen? under $100? I think this got covered on the old board, but...
I'm a big fan of the Lamy Safari and Al-Star pens:

Safari: http://www.lamyusa.com/fountain_main_safari.php
Al-Star: http://www.lamyusa.com/fountain_main_alstar.php

They're basically the same design, but the Safaris have plastic bodies and the Al-Stars are aluminum. The nibs are interchangeable and easily pull off for replacement. Lamy makes regular nibs from Broad to Extra-Fine, and you can also get stub calligraphy nibs in 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9 mm widths. A Safari fountain pen is about $30, and the Al-Star is $8–$10 more.

CBear3

Randomness Dos

Postby CBear3 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Thank you sir. I lucked into a great one in college and loved the feel, but since I was in college it obviously disappeared. Been meaning to pick some up to feel nostalgic again.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:23 pm

You can tell the show you're watching on the DVR is really, really old when they break in live to cover the Ferguson, MO Grand Jury announcement. I really ought to work through this stuff a little faster.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Ha, I just got a LinkedIn connection recommendation for Karsh.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Thank you sir. I lucked into a great one in college and loved the feel, but since I was in college it obviously disappeared. Been meaning to pick some up to feel nostalgic again.
I also recommend Noodler's Ink. Noodlers has a stunning variety of inks at great prices, and I use their ink pretty much exclusively.
http://www.gouletpens.com/bottled-ink/c ... 3Anoodlers

I should maybe mention that Nathan Tardif, the proprietor of Noodlers Ink, has certain…… political leanings. For example, a couple years ago he named two new super-fast-drying inks "Bernake Black" and "Bernake Blue" because he figured that the former Fed chairman needed fast-drying ink for all of the money he was printing. The label on bottle has a picture of money being thrown out of a helicopter. It's really good ink, though. I use Bernake Black as my primary black ink, and that stuff dries almost instantly.

Pavel Bure

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Just started S1 of true detective. After watching 2 eps of this vs 2 eps of season 2... WTF did they do to season 2?

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Just started S1 of true detective. After watching 2 eps of this vs 2 eps of season 2... WTF did they do to season 2?
Lost Cary Joji Fukunaga
Let Pizzzolatto believe his own hype

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:31 am

Season 1 was one of the greatest shows I've ever watched on tv

Season two is so **** tier I didn't even watch past episode 6

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Randomness Dos

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away, across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spell

Sam's Drunk Dog

Randomness Dos

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:57 pm

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Picked up a heart rate monitor to wear while I'm working out because I didn't trust what the bike was telling me I was burning. I always took off about 10-20% of the amount of calories burned that it told me I burned just to play it safe. The heart rate monitor is the kind that uses a chest strap(seems to be more accurate than a wrist one), and then it syncs to the watch I wear and keeps a running tally of what I burn. I can also set target zones and it will audible if I go above or below. Today all in all did just under 60 minutes in 3 separate sessions and burned off 600+ calories. Not too shabby. Made me not feel guilty having a bit more pasta than I normally would these days at dinner.
Last edited by skullman80 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PFiDC

Randomness Dos

Postby PFiDC » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:45 pm

Probably just water calories...

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Probably just water calories...
Haha. Calories are calories is the way i look at it. As long as keep doing what im doing the weight will keep coming off. I actually look forward to working out now most days. I feel good afterwards. Hoping to hit the 40+ lb lost mark tomorrow when I weigh myself(I only weigh once a week, usually monday mornings)

... if that was a sarcastic response... it flew over my head I apologize haha.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Pretty sure PFIDC was being facetious ala Godric

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Haha yeah im a bit slow today...

PFiDC

Randomness Dos

Postby PFiDC » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Haha yeah im a bit slow today...
:fist:

I'm your biggest fan here bro.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:00 pm

lol @ water calories.

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:59 pm

Actually if he's eating pasta, he'll be retaining water.

If you dropped starchs you'd appear leaner.

Pavement

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavement » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:16 am

Haggis recipe 'should be tweaked' to beat US import ban
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34759665

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 am

I don't want to speak for @skullman80, but I doubt appearing leaner isn't his motivation for what he's doing.

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:37 am

I don't want to speak for @skullman80, but I doubt appearing leaner isn't his motivation for what he's doing.
Appearing leaner is part of it. My overall health is the big thing. Getting off blood pressure meds would be great, being around for my wife and future children 30 or 40 years for now is the driving force behind it. Just tired of being the "fat" guy I guess. Tired of struggling to fit into some booth at restaurants, or always wanting to get an aisle seat wherever we go so I don't feel cramped in my seat. Either way.. monday is weigh in day for me and I'm down another 5.6 pounds, which puts me at almost 41lbs total lost since late Sept/Early Oct. Still have another 50 to go at least, but I've been working my ass off.. so I'm happy to see progress still. I'm getting ready to up my workouts some more here in the near future. I have been able to fit into clothes that would be too tight a couple months ago. I'm going to have to buy new jeans soon cause the ones I have now even with a belt are too loose.

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:48 am

It's not just that, water retention can make you feel lethargic ...

I can type pages and pages about losing weight being of course calories consumed versus calories expended but it doesn't really matter when you have systemic inflammation, you're lethargic, moody, have mineral and vitamin deficiencies, intestinal permeability issues, have blood lipid issues

Not saying skullman has any of these issues but..... Ah **** it, its 5am and I've been up all night

count2infinity

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:50 am

Maybe you're lethargic and moody. :slug:

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:51 am

Appearing leaner is part of it. My overall health is the big thing. Getting off blood pressure meds would be great, being around for my wife and future children 30 or 40 years for now is the driving force behind it. Just tired of being the "fat" guy I guess. Tired of struggling to fit into some booth at restaurants, or always wanting to get an aisle seat wherever we go so I don't feel cramped in my seat. Either way.. monday is weigh in day for me and I'm down another 5.6 pounds, which puts me at almost 41lbs total lost since late Sept/Early Oct. Still have another 50 to go at least, but I've been working my ass off.. so I'm happy to see progress still. I'm getting ready to up my workouts some more here in the near future. I have been able to fit into clothes that would be too tight a couple months ago. I'm going to have to buy new jeans soon cause the ones I have now even with a belt are too loose.
Gnolls.org

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:53 am

It's not just that, water retention can make you feel lethargic ...

I can type pages and pages about losing weight being of course calories consumed versus calories expended but it doesn't really matter when you have systemic inflammation, you're lethargic, moody, have mineral and vitamin deficiencies, intestinal permeability issues, have blood lipid issues

Not saying skullman has any of these issues but..... Ah **** it, its 5am and I've been up all night
I think I said this before, but I'm following this regiment based on what my doctor advised. I don't have any of those issues you mentioned. I feel great, I have way more energy now. I couldn't go 5 minutes on an exercise bike when I started, now 20-30 minutes is nothing and I feel great afterwards. I can only speak for myself, but yeah.