TLOU Discussion (spoilers ahead)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:35 pm

Alright, I'll do it.

The Last Of Us seems to have some real enthusiasm, and is definitely the kind of thing that might invite more detailed discussion that can swamp a more general thread. So I figured I'd start up a space for dedicated chat. Show, game, game show, whatever the hell you want. I put a spoiler tag type notice in the thread topic as a flag to all wayward souls who might wish to enter. Spoiler tags will not be policed for individual posts (because I do have that kind of power), but they won't be discouraged, either. Figure the whole thread is a universal spoiler tag. Or continue to use spoiler tags as a courtesy to hide text walls. ;)

The entire first season was released to critics for review; while not unheard of in TV, that is a fairly uncommon practice. I figure the reasoning was twofold: 1) It's a ten-year old story, so there's only so much of it that can be ruined; and 2) HBO, like lunchmeat, has confidence.
Se1 Ep1 was tremendous, as nearly all who saw it have said. I rewatched it last night (after getting my internet woes sorted), and noticed something that sort of flew over my head first time out: They really go out of their way to show Joel, Sarah, and Tommy managing to avoid eating things with flour (no pancake batter; Joel is on Adkins - even if this is a fib, it puts the connection in your mind as a viewer); Sarah eschews the cookies; Joel forgets to pickup his birthday cake), while the neighbors - the first Infected we really meet in the show - chow down on biscuits and such. I pursued this via ye olde Google, and sure enough the world's largest commercial flour mill is in Indonesia, a location they go out of their way in the dialog to set up. Turns out this theory is quite the rage among fans, yahoo, and there are some BTS photos that have leaked that show filming on sets dressed to look like government buildings in Jakarta. This is interesting because the game expends almost no effort whatsoever in establishing this kind of backstory, so it will be all new story ground. That sort of exposition isn't really necessary in a game narrative, but it can provide interesting conflict for the show.

And I found out from a recap show that a Clicker has a cameo appearance on the top of one of the buildings in downtown Boston in the final shot of Ep 1. Visible in the lightning flashes, on the left side, as the camera tils up as our heroes make their way down the street. :thumb:

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:30 pm

Alright, I'll say it. The first episode wasn't anything special. I'm going to continue to watch, but it felt like just another post apocalyptic story (and that's my favorite genre). That's not me saying it's bad either, but I think I was a little over hyped of what to expect

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:08 am

Alright, I'll say it.

Pedophiles.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:03 pm

I don't get it

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:12 pm

That's probably for the better.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:16 am

"WHAT THE F**K IS THAT?!" -- Mrs Tif seeing a Clicker for the first time

:D

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:22 am

She never saw a remote before?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:52 am

Lol wat

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:08 pm

Remember back in the days when TV was three channels (four if you had a local PBS affiliate) and broadcast programming was often still in black & white, the remote control device was wired. It made a 'click' sound when you changed channels, and was thus became colloquially known as a 'clicker'?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:36 pm

We gonna include game spoilers in here as well? Need to know if I should avoid this thread.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:36 pm

I've been hearing a lot about these clickers, everyone is out on this show except me and my daughter. I'm looking forward to seeing her face when we watch ep 2

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:47 pm

We gonna include game spoilers in here as well? Need to know if I should avoid this thread.
I mean, it's one and the same imo. Through two episodes, they are certainly deviating from the game in places, but so far it has largely been either additive (so far they seem to favor including backstory that's ignored in the game), or not really plot/story altering (e.g. 'thing' still happens to 'character', but at a different point).

OP
Show, game, game show, whatever the hell you want. I put a spoiler tag type notice in the thread topic as a flag to all wayward souls who might wish to enter.
I'm super duper generous on the use of spoiler tags, but it's like a ten-year old game, my dude.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm

One of the things that irritated me about TWD (both the comic and the show) is the lack of background. Kirkman said that wasn't the focus of the story, just the survival of humanity and how terrible humans can be to each other. To me, that's bordering on laziness. It looks like Mazin and Druckmann have really thought a great deal about the origins of the outbreak, including filming with Indonesian actors. It fleshes the story out (no pun intended).

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:57 pm

Source of the post We gonna include game spoilers in here as well? Need to know if I should avoid this thread.
I mean, it's one and the same imo. Through two episodes, they are certainly deviating from the game in places, but so far it has largely been either additive (so far they seem to favor including backstory that's ignored in the game), or not really plot/story altering (e.g. 'thing' still happens to 'character', but at a different point).
That doesn't really answer my question.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:13 pm

This is now the third time this is being included on the first page:
Show, game, game show, whatever the hell you want. I put a spoiler tag type notice in the thread topic as a flag to all wayward souls who might wish to enter.
I don't know how much more clearly you need to have it expressed, boss. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:18 pm

Remember back in the days when TV was three channels...
No...

God no.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:47 pm

This is now the third time this is being included on the first page:
I don't know how much more clearly you need to have it expressed, boss. :lol:
Gotcha. Not for me then. I'll be hanging out in the TV thread and dodinting about every show its own thread for some reason.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:05 am

This might be spoilery for future episodes; I don't think so, but fairly warned, be thee, says I.

Was reading some interesting stuff related to Ep2 here. They apparently wrote backstory for Tess that was unexplored for the game.

In the TLOU Before Times she was married and had a son. They both got infected early on, and she ended up killing her husband to spare him from turning..... but she couldn't bring herself to kill her son, so prior to abandoning her home in Detroit she locked him in their basement, where he eventually became a Clicker. Given her age at the time of the story her son was probably younger than Sarah on Outbreak Day. So that's fun.

(And Tess' Zippo is based on Sam Drake's lighter from Uncharted 4.)

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:01 am

That was a great episode! Clickers freaked me out pretty good.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:23 pm

yeah, Ep2 was more gross than I really wanted it to be. I recently tried to get into TWD because being filmed in ATL, I have several friends that work as zombie extras. I only got about 10 eps in because the zombie deaths were a bit bloody for me.
I'll keep going for now......

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:27 pm

yeah, Ep2 was more gross than I really wanted it to be. I recently tried to get into TWD because being filmed in ATL, I have several friends that work as zombie extras. I only got about 10 eps in because the zombie deaths were a bit bloody for me.
I'll keep going for now......
They are pretty comically gory. I think it’s sufficiently over the top to prevent discomfort for me.

As for that scene at the end of the last of us? That was more unsettling than anything on the walking dead

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:46 pm

They talked about that on the official podcast. It's a significant change from how that event plays out in the game (and one that makes so much more sense now, if I'm honest), and they said it was photographed and edited very specifically to be quasi-romantic, or at least not threatening. If she had tried to run, the horde would've ripped her to pieces. But she........ submitted? and so was, er, 'welcomed' to the group. It is, fundamentally, a kissing scene. Blegh

Anything penetrative in the body horror sense is especially grotesque and unnerving. That mode of transmission is unique to the cordys in the show, and it's completely gross. Since they were doing away with spores/airborne transmission they needed a new form of spread to impart fear of the Infected beyond them being simply bitey bitey violent monsters. The tendrils idea was something they explored for the game story (they even shot scenes and recorded dialog talking about it), but decided to abandon.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:47 pm

I really love the fungi communication approach, I watched a documentary about how they do that in real life and it's nuts. Is that the same take as the game?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:34 pm

I will also say there have been a few moments in both episodes where my brain has said out loud, well this looks or feels like something directly from the video game. I don't know if this is a bad thing, but it certainly feels more video game than cinema if you get what I'm saying. Also as much as I love the world, whoever parked new vehicles and just tossed vines and dust on them for the set pieces could have made them a little more believable. I was laughing at how cheap that looked

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm

They did explore the idea when developing the game, but ultimately left it along in that story.

There's apparently a single organism mushroom/fungus in Oregon that's something like 5sq miles in area.