Everything golf

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:12 pm

I am playing "conley resort" soon. Is it a dog patch?

I've played Suncrest next door a couple times and am assuming they are kept similarly (since they're sister courses).

It'll likely be your standard Pittsburgh public golf course.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:14 pm

i can't remember #15 - probably not good memories

It's the 2nd of back to back par 3s. The 14th is downhill over a creek/small lake, then you go up the hill to 15 teebox and hit back across the ravine.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:19 pm

IIRC #5 is that one where you're hitting 170-180 with water short/right, correct?

I'm not sure I've ever hit the green on that one. I got lucky once on 15 and thinned a 5 iron to about 12 feet.
On 5 the water runs along the entire right side of the green and there are plenty of large trees to the left. Green is about 75 feet wide so there isn't a lot of room for error either, especially with a longer iron

#15 is the second of the two back to back par 3s. where you have to drive your cart a stupidly long amount of time to get to the green. actually it was kind of nice to have that long of a drive because it gave me time to forget about the ball i put into the trees

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Ah yes, I remember now. I like #5. I think #4 might be their best golf hole. #16 is fun to play from the tips because the tees are so elevated and it doesn't actually play much further

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Nice and well maintained; better than sister course Suncrest, though both can suffer from slow play due to St. Barnabas ownership. I'm biased due to shooting a 38 on the front and then throwing my scorecard away midway through the back, but things get weird at the turn. From the white tees #10 is your standard 330ish yard Par 4, except for the massive tree that covers the entirety of the extremely narrow fairway and turns the hole into a nightmare.

My running theory for #11 and #12 is they finished the course and realized they only had 16 holes and needed to half ass their way into constructing two more holes. Both are again average distance Par 4s except with the added thrill of being such severe dog legs that I swear the greens are actually behind the tee box. The course says they're 90 degrees but I call bullshit. Regardless, the first three holes on the back nine require less than driver and a lot of accuracy off the tee. The rest of the back nine is pretty nondescript until 18, though 15 is a 250 yard Par 3 (**** off) from the blues or a 290 yard Par 4 from the whites. 18 is a nightmare; 180 yard Par 3 over water, with water directly behind the green, a deep bunker to the back right of the green, a tight treeline boarding the very narrow approach area, and the green slopes toward the water. Also, there is a viewing area behind the green so all of the old **** stand there and jeer you as you hook your tee shot into the water.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:32 pm

The dunn hasn't unloaded on the pirates this season because they are so hopeless, but it is nice to see he still has his fastball.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:15 pm

conleys has a special place in my heart - best round ever - 71.

its fine - nothing special. back nine is a little goofball. 10 has a fairway landing area on your drive the size of a ford fiesta. 11 and 12 are 90* dog leg left

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:38 pm

Inspired by KTK.

Struck the ball terribly today. Nothing I tried helped. Drives were short and sky high (and plugged due to the wetness). I'm talking 180-200. Mostly fairways at least. Irons were fat all day.

Hit literally 0 GIR (I'm usually between 5 and 8). Kept track of putts... 21 on the front and 14 on the back. The greens dried out on the back and rolled faster so that helped me. Three 3-putts all on the front.

So ended up 50-44 and used the same ball the entire round (rare).

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:44 pm

94 without losing a ball is impressive

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Harbour Town is 100% worth it.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:39 pm

When I come down off the adrenaline high I got from playing 18 ill say more.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:53 pm

There’s a special spot in hell reserved for people who design 200 yard par 3s.
Especially w water
yeah, seriously, what the ****

even for low handicappers, that's a **** tough shot right?

I feel like for pros it isn't that bad (would be like a 6/7 iron?) but for me that's a 3/4 and praying to buddha it doesn't go left

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:52 pm

I've had a beer and calmed myself.

Wow. It's my first PGA course, and it was completely worth the price of admission. The course was tight, but fair, and while I wasn't driving it all that great (spray and pray), shots into the pine straw weren't all that deadly and gave an opportunity to make a play out of.

I birdied the Par 3 4th, the one where the green juts out into the water down the left (beautiful looking hole). Forecaddie gave us 155 to the hole, and since we were at sea level I compensated with a 7 iron. Had about 10 feet and drained it.

The forecaddie was such a great experience. I've had to rely on phone apps for yardage and myself for even attempting to read the greens, but I'll be damned if he didn't help me really manage my putting on those greens, where the grain seriously affects how the ball rolls. I ended with 35 putts on the day, but it would've been so much worse without his help. They recommended a $30 tip to start, but he more than earned what I gave him.

Highlight of the round was 18. A par would break 90. Caddie said "It's the widest fairway on the tour so let it rip." I started feeling some electric energy of some sort and bombed a drive about 260 into the landing area on the left side, and had about 160 in. Pulled a 6 iron and pured it, with a slight fade. I thought I came up short and while waiting for my unlce to hit his 90 yard chip, the caddie told me I was on. I chose to walk my way to the green from there, and to be honest, I got a little teary-eyed thinking about all the history and everyone who's made that walk on 18. I missed my birdie putt just about a foot or so left, and tapped it in for par to shoot an 89.

I'm still feeling the adrenaline just thinking about it or, but I can't say there was anything about today that I did not enjoy. Just a tremendous place to play golf. And a great way to drop $150 in the pro shop after the round (yardage book, hat, shirt, and a glove).

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:00 pm

94 without losing a ball is impressive
Tell me about it. I did start triple double double so thats never fun.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Wow. It's my first PGA course, and it was completely worth the price of admission. The course was tight, but fair, and while I wasn't driving it all that great (spray and pray), shots into the pine straw weren't all that deadly and gave an opportunity to make a play out of.

I birdied the Par 3 4th, the one where the green juts out into the water down the left (beautiful looking hole). Forecaddie gave us 155 to the hole, and since we were at sea level I compensated with a 7 iron. Had about 10 feet and drained it.

The forecaddie was such a great experience. I've had to rely on phone apps for yardage and myself for even attempting to read the greens, but I'll be damned if he didn't help me really manage my putting on those greens, where the grain seriously affects how the ball rolls. I ended with 35 putts on the day, but it would've been so much worse without his help. They recommended a $30 tip to start, but he more than earned what I gave him.

Highlight of the round was 18. A par would break 90. Caddie said "It's the widest fairway on the tour so let it rip." I started feeling some electric energy of some sort and bombed a drive about 260 into the landing area on the left side, and had about 160 in. Pulled a 6 iron and pured it, with a slight fade. I thought I came up short and while waiting for my unlce to hit his 90 yard chip, the caddie told me I was on. I chose to walk my way to the green from there, and to be honest, I got a little teary-eyed thinking about all the history and everyone who's made that walk on 18. I missed my birdie putt just about a foot or so left, and tapped it in for par to shoot an 89.

I'm still feeling the adrenaline just thinking about it or, but I can't say there was anything about today that I did not enjoy. Just a tremendous place to play golf. And a great way to drop $150 in the pro shop after the round (yardage book, hat, shirt, and a glove).
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:27 pm

I'm aroused. Congratulations!

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:31 pm

*golf clap* from a socially-distanced gallery rope, of course.

It's always a great experience to take on the same course that the pros get after. From now on, you're going to pull up that scorecard during Heritage week and laugh at everyone that screws up the 4th hole. "If I can birdie it, what's wrong with these hacks?"

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:36 pm

Good stuff mr25. Super jealous. I'd probably get the glove and yardage book before the round though ;)

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Funnily enough I needed the glove after the round was over. Split mine clean up the thumb seam.

The book was more a souvenir.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Blessed day.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Forecaddies are an awesome experience in themselves. Had one when we played Sawgrass and he was incredibly helpful with the bag and great with course history.

Glad your round lived to the hype and tour game followed suit!

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:13 pm

Mine at Streamsong was awesome. Mine at Ballyhack last week was his first time at the course, not great

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 am

how do forecaddies work? do they carry bags or just sit 250 yards in front of you up until the greens?

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:33 am

how do forecaddies work? do they carry bags or just sit 250 yards in front of you up until the greens?
Exactly the question I was going to ask. The only time I golfed with a caddie the whole time (at Chevy Chase Country Club), I was racked with nervousness. Mainly because I sucked, came from a relatively not well off family in Altoona, and suddenly I'm out there with Congressmen and other political dignitaries around me. I was only like 23 at the time.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:20 am

Forecaddies are when you have a cart, so they don't have your bag. They'll still guide you around the course and give you tips, and then go up ahead off the tee and help track your ball