Everything golf

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:38 pm

Has anyone ever played Suncrest up in Butler? Have a tee time there tomorrow. Not sure what to expect
Generally a nice course. Expect old people because Suncrest and Conley are owned by St. Barnabas. No sand. Three of the four Par 3s are of an annoyingly long distance. Most holes are straight and an uphill approach shot is not uncommon.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:19 pm

Has anyone ever played Suncrest up in Butler? Have a tee time there tomorrow. Not sure what to expect
Generally a nice course. Expect old people because Suncrest and Conley are owned by St. Barnabas. No sand. Three of the four Par 3s are of an annoyingly long distance. Most holes are straight and an uphill approach shot is not uncommon.

:thumb: my uncle plays from the senior tees so I'm already expecting old people lol

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:31 am

When I went golfing last week, my neighbor and I ended up in a twosome with a middle aged woman and her elderly mom. I'm pretty sure in all my years of golfing, I've never been paired with two women. I was terrified that they were both going to be those consistent straight hitters and I would look like a fool, but it was a lovely experience. Her mom was a sweetheart.

Edit for inevitable response : They weren't hot. Either of them. ;)

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:35 am

PGA Tour is back this week and I am excited

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:23 pm

Alright I need to get better. Any recommendations for lessons in Pittsburgh area?

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:46 pm

I saw Golftec was actually rated pretty well but I'm sure there's a more cost effective local instructor if someone knows one

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 am

:thumb: my uncle plays from the senior tees so I'm already expecting old people lol
suncrest is fine. i actually prefer conleys out of the two

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 am

Growing up and into my mid-20s, there was a nice little Par 3 outside of Altoona (Greenwood Golf). I think the longest hole was 160 yards. Man, I have some fond memories of that place. A couple really fun holes tucked up in there.
Ligonier used to have one across the road from Idlewild. Aside from the occasional tree falling and leaving a 10 foot branch in the middle of the fairway, it was pretty well maintained from what I remember. It had a everything from a 45 yard hole over a pond to a "long" 220 yard par 4.

Surprisingly, or maybe not, it's been for sale for about a decade and nobody has bought the land. I'm guessing they're asking a king's ransom because of it's location on a well-traveled road,

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:19 am

Growing up and into my mid-20s, there was a nice little Par 3 outside of Altoona (Greenwood Golf). I think the longest hole was 160 yards. Man, I have some fond memories of that place. A couple really fun holes tucked up in there.
Ligonier used to have one across the road from Idlewild. Aside from the occasional tree falling and leaving a 10 foot branch in the middle of the fairway, it was pretty well maintained from what I remember. It had a everything from a 45 yard hole over a pond to a "long" 220 yard par 4.

Surprisingly, or maybe not, it's been for sale for about a decade and nobody has bought the land. I'm guessing they're asking a king's ransom because of it's location on a well-traveled road,
My dad and I always wanted to play there but never did. It makes me feel like Homer and Mr. T:
You're right, Marge. Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:57 am

Shot an 85 at Suncrest. Nice course. Was pounding the ball on the front 9 and made birdie on 9. Hubris got the best of me and I lost my next 2 tee shots. Also had two holes in a row where I hit great shots, tracked them all the way, and somehow still lost the ball.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am

Also had two holes in a row where I hit great shots, tracked them all the way, and somehow still lost the ball.
HATE, HATE, HATE when that happens! "but....it should be RIGHT HERE!" I blame squirrels.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:07 am

Front nine at Conley is very nice and then you hit the turn and the fairway at 10 is 2 feet wide with a tree in the middle of it and then 11 and 12 are such severe doglegs that it feels like that after finishing the course they realized they only made 16 holes and needed to find a way to cram two more in and then 18 is just a bullshit hole. **** Conley.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:08 am

Shot an 85 at Suncrest. Nice course. Was pounding the ball on the front 9 and made birdie on 9. Hubris got the best of me and I lost my next 2 tee shots. Also had two holes in a row where I hit great shots, tracked them all the way, and somehow still lost the ball.
I’ve had similar results at Suncrest with perfect shots that are being tracked all the way by multiple people but somehow disappear. 17 is the closest I’ve been to a hole in one at just under a foot away.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:15 am

dickie trying to fool us into thinking he has friends with the "multiple people" line

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:43 am

Also had two holes in a row where I hit great shots, tracked them all the way, and somehow still lost the ball.
HATE, HATE, HATE when that happens! "but....it should be RIGHT HERE!" I blame squirrels.

Even worse considering I was using the colored Callaway Superhots. Like, how hard is it to find a red ball in the rough?

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 am

Even worse considering I was using the colored Callaway Superhots. Like, how hard is it to find a red ball in the rough?
I hear ya. I use colored Top Flite balls. red and orange in Spring and Summer, green and yellow in the Fall and Winter so I can find them amongst the fallen leaves. I'm telling you, squirrels. :scared:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:57 am

so I’ve been doing a weird deep dive into driver shaft length. I have an inconsistent slice (some times it sliced big, sometimes small, sometimes not at all) with my driver. I’ve been reading recently that a longer shaft makes it more difficult to hit the sweet spot in the driver and leads to shorter, wilder shots

I’m 5’5” so I’m betting my 45.5” driver (self measured, probably not correct) is probably too long for me anyway. Is it worth trying to get it shortened?

I’m guessing it won’t fix my slice but it might assuage it

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:10 am

this is completely anecdotal but i feel like most driver slices are due to lining up your left shoulder (assuming you arent weird lefty) too open. close it off and see how that goes

LITT

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:11 am

Front nine at Conley is very nice and then you hit the turn and the fairway at 10 is 2 feet wide with a tree in the middle of it and then 11 and 12 are such severe doglegs that it feels like that after finishing the course they realized they only made 16 holes and needed to find a way to cram two more in and then 18 is just a bullshit hole. **** Conley.
i shot my best round ever at conleys (71) so <3 Conley

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:14 am

this is completely anecdotal but i feel like most driver slices are due to lining up your left shoulder (assuming you arent weird lefty) too open. close it off and see how that goes
Also anecdotal, from my experience in fixing my fade it's this (most line up their feet at the target and don't realize their shoulders are way open) and being really steep. Shallow that ish out

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:15 am

In my experience it's been a combo of that and hitting down on the ball instead of an upward angle.

Once I started practicing swinging up on the ball I cut my number of driver slices down by at least 50%.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:22 am

In my experience it's been a combo of that and hitting down on the ball instead of an upward angle.

Once I started practicing swinging up on the ball I cut my number of driver slices down by at least 50%.
was this a matter of where you lined your feet up in regards to the ball or just practicing getting your arms lifted as you come down?

I play ball a little in front of my front foot when driving. It's helped reduce how often I shank it but still inconsistent

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:30 am

Both.

I play my driver just slightly behind my front foot, but I also set up my shoulders in a way to help get them turned to swing up on the ball during the downswing - right shoulder is slightly dipped in relation to the left but not to the point where I'm opening up.

Rick Shiels's videos on YouTube helped plant the idea in my head. I dont have his swing but took his tips to the range and it's helped tremendously (playlist so no embed):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... xkaagTOd39

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:34 am

YMMV but I also hyper-analyze everything so I'm at the point now where I can hit a drive and pretty much know what I did to achieve the result.

Most of my slices now are because I stand too close (and have to pull my arms in to hit it) or too far away (and catch it glancing off the toe), or I lose focus and forget to swing up, which causes the out-to-in slice swing path.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:41 am

i shot my best round ever at conleys (71) so <3 Conley
I shot a 38 on the front and I don’t know what on the back so **** Conley.