Everything golf

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:49 am

Getting to play Nevillewood tomorrow. Missing the final round at Winged Foot but I'll get over it

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:09 am

Peacock isn't on Fire TV. Cool

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Everything golf

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:31 am

Yep. Discovered that when I went to look for EPL games.

Sounds like whoever works for Peacock used to work for the ACC Network.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 am

Probably an Amazon decision

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Wolff had 10 putts on the front 9

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:52 pm

I suck at golf and I hate golf.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Reed imploding on the back. Couldnt happen to a nicer guy

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:38 pm

Have to go with Dechambeau tomorrow. Can't see Wolff hanging on although he did shoot 67 on Thursday.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Have to go with Dechambeau tomorrow. Can't see Wolff hanging on although he did shoot 67 on Thursday.
I wonder if Wolff is gonna try to play defensive tomorrow and just try to escape with pars

also, maybe I misread it but I thought I saw that Wolff only hit like 2-3 fairways today?

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 pm

Notes from Sunday:

--Matt Wolff hit 2 fairways and shot 65. In the US Open. At Winged Foot. Ummmm, that's not supposed to happen. DeChambeau hit 3 fairways all day and if not for the late hiccup on 18, he'd be just one back. You're not supposed to be able to do that and you know other players are like WTF. But as one of our reporters said to me today, it's a whole heck of a lot easier to hit the green from the rough with a 9-iron than it is a 6-iron.
--Not sure if it was mentioned on the broadcast but Wolff brought up in his interviews that his agent just received a cancer diagnosis so he's playing with a lot of extra incentive and inspiration. Something like that may be tough to overcome but at the same time, can also be a burden when you're trying to win too much.
--16 months ago, Matt Wolff was winning an NCAA championship at Oklahoma State and Collin Morikawa was racking up top 5's at Cal. This time tomorrow, they could both be major champions. For those of you who believe in omens, plunk down a couple bucks on Viktor Hovland at the Masters. He did finish as low am last year.
--I don't think there were too many people who were disappointed to watch Patrick Reed shoot a 43 on the back. As he said in his postround interview, he was living on borrowed time with all the missed fairways and greens and it was bound to catch up with him. He was gracious in his quotes afterwards but he showed off a little prick juice when our cameraman couldn't get the light quite dialed in right away and Reed said, "I don't got all day" when he had been standing there for 10-15 seconds.
--Reed started up and sunk. Paul Casey did the opposite by dropping way down and then shot back up. He needed a 15-foot birdie on 9 to break 40 on the front and then blistered the back side with a 30 to shoot an under-par round. Golf's a funny game.
--HE HIT *TWO* FAIRWAYS AND SHOT 65 IN A US OPEN AT WINGED FOOT!!!!
--Most interesting thing I saw today -- I was standing on 2 tee for the last 7 groups as we shot them coming through. Justin Thomas took a mighty lash with the driver and within a second, you heard the telltale crack of ball hitting wood. Thomas's tee shot was a snap hook that hit a tree about 70 yards from the tee box. He was playing his 2nd shot from about 20 yards in front of the front tees. I don't think they had that yardage mapped out during the practice rounds.
--OK, so who wins tomorrow? I don't think it'll be Wolff. No first-time has won the Open since Francis Ouimet in 1913. Coincidentally, that was the last time the Open was held in September. I don't think Bryson wins it because he'll figure out a way to self-destruct himself. NOBODY has talked about Louis Oosthuizen even though he plays so well on Open tracks. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he walks away with the trophy. I'm gonna go a bit off the board with someone who looks like they may have figured it out on Saturday and will be in the 4th-to-last group on Sunday. That would be Rory McIlroy. If he goes out there and puts a 67 on the board and post -2, that's going to be a verrrrrry competitive number when the smoke clears. No matter how it finishes, I think we're going to be in for a wild ride in the final round.

By the way, the answer to my trivia question from Friday -- the last player to make an ace in a major and then go on to win that major was David Toms at the 2001 PGA.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:26 pm

Something about Louis and majors. He's always there

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:06 am

Great summary. Yeah what Wolff did yesterday is nothing short of incredible. Hard for me to take someone more than four shots back, since it would require multiple collapses in front of them and their doing well too. That said, certainly possible here.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Getting to play Nevillewood tomorrow. Missing the final round at Winged Foot but I'll get over it
I played there a few times a while back I’d like to hear your hot takes on the course

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:19 pm

Missed a 5 foot eagle putt on 3. Greens are lightning. Will report back, on #5 now

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:03 pm

Pretty impressive from Bryson. Everyone else faded out and he managed to finish the round and tourney under par

I don’t even think Wolff played that bad compared tk everyone else today. It wasn’t great but everyone else pooped the bed

Bryson won it though

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Everything golf

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:32 pm

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:19 pm

OP, are you headed to Big Cedar this week?

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:37 pm

OP, are you headed to Big Cedar this week?
Negative. I will be enjoying a day off from that circus on Tuesday.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:40 am

Final round brain dump...

-Bryson earned it. He told us what his strategy was gonna be and he backed it up and scoffed at the naysayers. Good on him. We’ll see how this impacts what the rest of the Tour does when faced with similar conditions. It won’t work everywhere. Bryson mentioned in his sitdown with us that the bermuda of East Lake makes it a lot more difficult to gouge it out of the rough.
-This weekend was the first time where I ‘kinda’ missed the fans. Don’t get me wrong, I like being able to get around without people blocking the path. But the matching eagles on 9 would have set that place on fire and Bryson’s final putt would have been a perfect coda. Bryson did say that he didn’t react big on 9 because he didn’t want an adrenaline spike. In that case for him, no fan reaction was a good thing. But as I stood on 1 green Saturday, I looked around and felt like I was out shooting a charity outing.
-If I had played the 3rd hole on Sunday, I could have hit driver and not made the green. That was an impossibly tough hole all week.
-I mentioned Shaun Norris’s travails on Friday. In the same group with him on Thurs/Fri was Rory Sabbatini. When Rory walked off 16 green Thursday, he was also -3. He bogeyed 17 and then hit a poor drive on 18, throwing his driver down as he walked off the tee. Checked the bottom of the board yesterday and poor Rory finished in the +20’s.
-You’re welcome for the Zalatoris pick. I’m sorry for the McIlroy endorsement.
-Danny Lee is all of us on the course. Though, I’ve never six-whacked from 7 feet. I did make a 15 in Australia.
-Most interesting thing I saw - we made Bryson cry yesterday. His dad had a kidney transplant a little bit ago and he wasn’t sure if his dad would get to see him win a tournament, let alone a major. Hearing him talk about his upbringing and his road to where he is now really humanized him. I admire the way he looks at the game and breaks it down scientifically. I just wish he would do it a little faster and not be so full of himself when dealing with officials.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:51 am

Awesome thoughts, thanks! Yeah would be nice to see a more human side of Dechambeau.

OP, what is the plan for Augusta, just have the guys tee off super early? Twilight ends at 5:53 in the middle of November. I would think the leaders should be teeing off by 12:30 at the very latest on the weekend to be safe.

Prior to the cut, would think they need to start extremely early in the AM.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Everything golf

Postby meow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:02 am

How’d you get this video of me?!

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:45 am

I played there a few times a while back I’d like to hear your hot takes on the course
Honestly I loved it, it exceeded expectations. I was just expecting a well manicured country club course but it was great. Best and fastest greens I've played I think. It's so nice to just get the ball rolling on a 5-7 footer and not worry about speed, cause it's gonna get there.

It had some fun holes, nothing too gimmicky I don't think. 5-6 par 4s that you couldn't really hit driver so you had to use the whole bag. Only real complaint was every green complex was about the same.. wide but not deep, and angled away with bunkers guarding the front. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but just repetitive. They must have had a tournament in the morning or Saturday because every pin was tucked far back with as little green to work with as possible and the most carry possible.. shot 40-47, couldn't get anything going on the back. Pretty impressive place. Oh and those houses...

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:44 am

Pretty sure I've developed putting yips. I've always been around that 2 putts per hole number or slightly below it, but I had 43 freaking putts yesterday, leading to me shooting 90. Would've been low 80s if I matched my average putts per hole number.

Granted, the greens at Rolling Fields are... poor, to say the least. But a non-insignificant number of those putts were within 10 feet and i dont know if it's something with my depth perception or just not getting a feel for the green speed, but I just could not make them.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:25 pm

Awesome thoughts, thanks! Yeah would be nice to see a more human side of Dechambeau.

OP, what is the plan for Augusta, just have the guys tee off super early? Twilight ends at 5:53 in the middle of November. I would think the leaders should be teeing off by 12:30 at the very latest on the weekend to be safe.

Prior to the cut, would think they need to start extremely early in the AM.
Keep in mind that there are only 90-95 guys in the field so it’s not going to be too much of a heavy lift. In years past, Thurs/Fri starts around 8:30 for a 7pm finish. I’d guess they will just move that up 60-75 mins. Sunday is a scheduled 2:30 finish so CBS can have the late NFL window.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:29 pm

that time of year, after DST the sun comes up around 7:00AM and sets around 5:30PM in these parts.