Everything golf

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 pm

To think I just stuck up for weenie in another thread. Sheesh

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:00 pm

I could never do that on the national stage because I know how it would me perceived.

He relishes it. He plays his best golf when he is being the biggest heel.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:10 pm

Medical emergency involving an amateur's caddie that required CPR on the 11th hole. Todd Lewis said they got an update that he would survive but he sounded really shook up and holding back tears.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:15 pm

Should probably cancel the event.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 pm

Imagine an NFL game being switched to USA or some sht because it was running long and 60 Minutes has to start at 7
Last edited by willeyeam on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:28 pm

I wish Jim and Dottie would fall in love and escape to a secluded island together, alone.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:55 pm

Pleeeease make the cut. Or ace 16.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:55 pm

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:13 pm

Former LIV Golf president and COO Atul Khosla told ESPN in October that the Public Investment Fund spent about $784 million bankrolling the circuit's first season in 2022, including employee salaries, build-outs at tournaments and production costs for broadcasting LIV events on social media and its official website.

Khosla, who resigned in December, said that total did not include guaranteed, multiyear contracts for players, which might be at least one-third of that. According to various published reports, LIV paid as much as $200 million for six-time major champion Phil Mickelson, at least $150 million for Dustin Johnson, more than $125 million for Bryson DeChambeau and at least $100 million for reigning Open Championship winner Cameron Smith. LIV Golf officials have declined to provide details of the players' contracts.
Legitimate business.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:45 pm

Who needs revenue when you sitting on a billion barrels of Tabuk Tea?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:49 pm

btw looked it up: 8 days until the Netflix doc comes out

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:48 pm

After watching some of these early season events, I'll say this...LIV is taking its toll on these leaderboards.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:05 am

After watching some of these early season events, I'll say this...LIV is taking its toll on these leaderboards.
Pebble was rough, but we have a good stretch coming up. I think 23 of the top 24 are playing Phoenix this week. Major quality

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:11 am

Haven’t they always been **** before the players?

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:57 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 am

Haven’t they always been **** before the players?
Never got much of the euro contingent in the West Coast swing before, but usually each tournament would have a few notable guys appear for one reason or the other. It was especially noticable at torrey pines because that has always attracted a good field due to the tiger factor.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:42 am

i think the new format will make fields like Pebble a little less common though. Certain events will be elevated on some years and they have to commit to like 20 (?) events now I think. Also, players that skipped Pebble to play the DP event had to commit to playing Pebble in the future too, so hoping for less crummy weeks going forward

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:42 am

it's just extra depressing when the worst field of the year is at pebble beach (!!!) like, you can't get people to play at Pebble?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:57 am

it's just extra depressing when the worst field of the year is at pebble beach (!!!) like, you can't get people to play at Pebble?
The Pebble/torrey pines stretch is important for the kangaroo's psyche during the winter doldrums. My mental health demands a good field, good weather, and good vibes during pebble week.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 am

Why would an elite pro want to play with Ray Romano?

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:59 pm

Pebble's in a bad spot on the schedule nowadays and makes it even less attractive than usual. Players don't want to deal with the amateur situation and the marathon rounds. They don't want to deal with the 3 courses. Add in the tricky weather and that makes it different from the American Express 3-course rotation with amateurs because of the likely potential of what happened this past week. But now that the 'designated' events are in play, there's gonna be a number of events that are going to suffer. So going down the schedule since January, here's what likely happens:

TOC -- designated...everyone who's eligible will play (Rory didn't...they all get 1 free pass on designated events)
Sony -- easy skip for most guys unless they're not going to play AMEX and they're already in Hawaii for TOC
AMEX -- had its best field in forever this past year even without designation. Those who didn't play in Hawaii used it as their opening event to get ready for SD.
Farmers -- Torrey has become a beast over the years and the weather can be iffy depending on marine layer and rain patterns. It was still a decent field there with an exciting final round.
Pebble -- big donut here because of reasons stated above. Unless this gets designated (and I can't see that happening), the field will continue to look like it did this year.
Phoenix -- designated...everyone is here this week and it has a true major feel with the circus atmosphere added in. This was one of the 'wildcard' designations so it may not be this way next year
Genesis -- designated...great venue and a great field. That'll be a fun one too.
Honda -- this field is going to suck almost as much as Pebble's. Even the local residents won't play in it because...
Bay Hill -- designated...everyone will be there.
Players -- obvious
Valspar -- back to the doldrums
Match Play -- enjoy it this year because this is the last one
Valero -- may be an ok field, just depends on how many guys want to play the week before the Masters
Masters -- bring on the LIV rivalries and stories
Heritage -- designated...be the best field they'll ever have there
Zurich -- team event...this could be a real dog puppy
Mexico -- also one that could be pretty choppy
Wells Fargo -- designated...back at Quail Hollow...that'll be a banger
Byron Nelson -- not likely to have a great field since unlike last year, the PGA isn't a 2-hour drive away
PGA -- will it be cold in May in Rochester?
Colonial -- great venue but we'll see how many guys want to play 3 weeks in a row because...
Memorial -- designated...of course Jack is gonna get all the best there
Canada -- no one's playing that one
US Open -- my goal is to trespass at the Playboy Mansion, which is off one of those holes at LACC
Travelers -- designated...Connecticut's Super Bowl
Rocket -- minor league event
Deere -- even more minor league
Scottish -- co-sanctioned event that as many as possible will play to get ready for links golf
British -- hopefully Liverpool will be greener than when Tiger won there
3M -- extra rolls of scotch tape won't be enough to entice those to come
Wyndham -- last chance to get into the top 70 for the playoffs so this will have some drama
Playoffs start

I mentioned the rotating designated events. I believe this year's are Phoenix, Heritage, and Travelers. In my opinion, the Tour will have to revamp their summer schedule if they want to elevate other events. For example, Canada will never be elevated as long as it's played the week before the Open because guys are going to balk at being mandated to play the week before a major. They don't have near as much of a problem the week after, though they could easily just go through the motions and miss a cut. The Tour risks alienating a few sponsors if they don't throw them bones every couple of years.
Last edited by Orlando Penguin on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:28 am

I think Phoenix would get a good field regardless, so it's kind of a waste of a designation if they're trying to force guys to play.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:59 am

Great stuff OP, thanks

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:51 am

I think Phoenix would get a good field regardless, so it's kind of a waste of a designation if they're trying to force guys to play.
Correct. Rahm said in his press conference that most guys are playing this event anyway so the designation really isn’t needed. Though, Rory might be one of those who wouldn’t. He’s only been here once and that was when it was limited fans. It’s highly suspected that he’s not a fan if the circus.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:48 am

Looking at the tee times--unless I am reading this wrong, there's no way they can complete the first round today, right? They have golfers teeing off until 3:46 local, which is only 2h 15m until sunset or so.