Everything golf

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 pm

So after 10 years of ups and downs (but mostly downs) with my crap beginner Ram set, I finally decided to get new clubs.

for irons I went with Nike VRS X

Odyssey White Ice putter

and, well, this sexy Nike bag

I didn't buy a driver because I am at the point where I don't have any confidence in my driver game...didn't want to waste money on one yet. My old driver will do for now.

I'm disappointed there wasn't a 3 iron with the iron set but it does come with a 48 degree wedge, which I know I'll be able to use

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Re: Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:42 pm

I am itching so hard to get back out on the course... bought a club for the first time in years this winter:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Man I have the same irons and almost the same bag as weenie this can't be good

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:01 pm

This March has sucked for golfing so far

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Man I have the same irons and almost the same bag as weenie this can't be good
I'm almost as cool as willeyeam! Yay!
The courses around me are just opening tomorrow. I've been dying to go out

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Nice looking ensemble you got there, Rotting. Question is, do you have any sort of game to match those sticks and bag??

March has been great for golf here. If only I had gotten out more than the one time to play. Poor scheduling.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Nice looking ensemble you got there, Rotting. Question is, do you have any sort of game to match those sticks and bag??

March has been great for golf here. If only I had gotten out more than the one time to play. Poor scheduling.
eh, I'm very inconsistent. I know I have the ability to get around 80, but my short game (chipping and putting) is really poor at times.

I'm hoping to get very good over the next year or two. A big reason why I want to move to South Carolina is so I can golf more months out of the year. We'll see what will happen haha

also, we should totally have a 5AF Open. I kind of want to come out to Pittsburgh for a playoff game, maybe we could do something if people are up for it...

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:46 pm

I used to play Schenley GC 4 or 5 times a month when I lived in the city, but I haven't been able to play much since. Love playing golf and I live in an area where you can do it 12 months out of the year.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:00 am

lousy smarch weather

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:01 am

eh, I'm very inconsistent. I know I have the ability to get around 80, but my short game (chipping and putting) is really poor at times.

I'm hoping to get very good over the next year or two. A big reason why I want to move to South Carolina is so I can golf more months out of the year. We'll see what will happen haha

also, we should totally have a 5AF Open. I kind of want to come out to Pittsburgh for a playoff game, maybe we could do something if people are up for it...
80s without hitting driver??

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 am

Be prepared for the fact that there are fewer public golf courses in the South.
Lower taxes = fewer public amenities

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:37 am

I hit my all time best score of 76 last year, hoping to continue to improve... My bag has the bio cell driver (last year was an '07 Taylormade Burner) that I showed above, 3 off brand wedges, an off brand putter, and my irons are clone clubs that I bought for like $150 ten years ago... I average in the mid/low 80's. can't wait to be a real grown up and buy actual clubs.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:17 am

80s without hitting driver??
it's possible but not entirely likely. Last year I had a 42 on the back nine of a par-72 course. But I bombed the front nine and ended in the mid-90s. I'm thinking about buying a hybrid 2 though.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:18 am

I hit my all time best score of 76 last year, hoping to continue to improve... My bag has the bio cell driver (last year was an '07 Taylormade Burner) that I showed above, 3 off brand wedges, an off brand putter, and my irons are clone clubs that I bought for like $150 ten years ago... I average in the mid/low 80's. can't wait to be a real grown up and buy actual clubs.
76 is nice. how often do you out?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:21 am

I was hitting everything the best I've ever hit really last year, except my driver. Was crushing it one weekend, then a little slice appeared. Then I tried switching my grip and it was a big tailspin the last few months of the season. Surprising how much better you can score when you're 140 out in the fairway as opposed to 180 in the deep stuff :lol:

Hoping it was mental and I'll be alright when I get out next month. I'm about a 14 handicap and was really hoping to get that down to single digits. I'll probably get a lesson or two if I don't start out well off the tee.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:26 am

76 is nice. how often do you out?
I did about 4 or 5 times a year from about 2006 through 2009. Since then I'm usually out 15-20 times a summer.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

Has anyone done a club fitting recently and have any comments on the process / options? Thinking of treating myself to a new set of irons for my 30th coming up.

LITT

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am

go to someone who actually does it for a living. make sure they have a legit launch monitor and they know how to use it. no offense to golf galaxy or dicks, but i have been tried to do a 'fitting' with them and its been a joke. havent found someone reputable around here

count2infinity

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:32 pm

What kind of shoes do yinz wear? I cannot stand golf spikes. Create way too much torque on my knees (sports injuries growing up). I had been going in just regular running shoes, but just ordered a pair of these bad boys for the season:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QY ... UTF8&psc=1

Got the white and orange ones for $37.95. Not too shabby.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:34 pm

I've had these for a long time. I like them, especially if the grass is wet. I need new ones eventually though.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:34 pm

I have 8 year old Nike Golf spikes, but because they're old the spikes are all worn out.

grunthy

Everything golf

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Adidas spikeless. Though since destroying my shoulder, back and my right knee I've gone from a 5 handicap to an 11. Argghh it's so frustrating.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:06 pm

So are yinz golf fans excited for the Masters? My favorite golf event by far...the herald of spring, Amen Corner, dat green jacket, etc. Doesn't get any better IMO. Who is your pick?

I'm going with Rory. He's due.

count2infinity

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:10 pm

I'm definitely hoping/thinking that Rory wins it.

I prefer the British Open, but yeah, the Masters is a close second for me.

columbia

Everything golf

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm once again inundated with radio ads for the RBC Classic. Dudes acting like it's spring break at a golf tournament doesn't hold much appeal.