Everything golf

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Just read the story. What a Canaan. Kuchar might want to reconsider going to Mexico City next weekend. Also,
As the golf world reacted to the latest twist in the Kuchar-David Giral Ortiz (a.k.a. El Tucan) saga on Tuesday, Twitter user Legal Hooks shared his own Kuchar-caddie story, which took place during the Web.com (then Nationwide) Tour’s Rheem Classic presented by Times Record held at Hardscrabble Country Club in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
THREAD: Time for my personal #MattKuchar caddy story. It's the 2006 Rheem Classic on what was then the Nationwide Tour. I'm a 16 y/o high school kid who is a volunteer local caddy for the tournament. I get super lucky and get picked by local legend Bryce Molder.

The first day that we're on the course, Bryce is going to play a practice round with Chez Reavie, Matt Kuchar, & a 4th who I can't remember. I do everything I can to keep up and follow the lead of the professional caddies who were in the group with the other guys. We make the turn, and the pros stop for a snack. I'm running around trying to make sure I have water in the bag and a wet towel to clean Bryce's golf ball while the players go in the clubhouse. When they come back, Bryce isn't with them b/c he had to go to the bathroom.

Chez & the 4th guy in the group hand some free ice cream to their caddies. Matt turns to me and hands me what I thought was ice cream for me. I tell him thank you very much and start to open it. He yells at me to stop like I'm about to set off a bomb. He yanks it out of my hand and stares down at me (he's about a foot taller than me at this time) and says, "No, that's for Bryce, not you" and then walks over and puts it on the bag. I sheepishly apologize and go stand by myself. After everyone hits & we start walking down 10 fairway, his caddy comes over and pats me on the back and offers me a granola bar that he had.

It was obvious that Kuch always treated people like this. The entire round Kuch didn't say a single kind word to me or act like I even existed. If this happened to me today, as an adult w/ self-confidence, then I would've spoken up for myself. But as a chubby, 5'4", 16 y/o there was no way I was going to talk back to a pro golfer. So, this is a long rant just to say that Kuch has always been a guy who demeaned and talked down to caddies. I'm sure he treats all "the help" like that. I'm glad the story about #ElTucan came out so that everyone can see it.

I'm sure this club caddie in Mayakoba had no idea what he should have been negotiating for himself and for Kuchar to say “For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5,000 week is a really big week,” is just awful. I will now actively root against him as if he was Shooter McGavin.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Jesus. The entire facade of "Aw shucks Kuchar" is about to come crashing down.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Here’s what has been bouncing around the golf grapevine lately...

-The caddie had been fired earlier in the week by a pro that didn’t like his work during the Monday pro-am. That’s why he was available for Kuchar to grab.
-They had negotiated a payment up front and it was agreed upon. Winnings percentage wasn’t factored.
-I wasn’t there nor did I watch the event so I have no idea how much, if any, yardage or greens work the caddie did for Matt.
-Matt offering 15k after the fact and the caddie coming back looking for 50k was awfully bold.
-And the newest one that I heard on Tuesday - Matt was one of the vocal opposition to the caddies getting their own health care plan, which was a big fight last year.

Yes, Matt should have given more and he looks terrible in this situation. I’ve had nothing but good experiences around Matt so the last part about the caddie health care was a surprise. I don’t think this story will go away until he addresses it. And who knows if he ever will.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:27 pm

El Tucan is a great pseudonym

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:29 pm

And the newest one that I heard on Tuesday - Matt was one of the vocal opposition to the caddies getting their own health care plan, which was a big fight last year.

Yes, Matt should have given more and he looks terrible in this situation. I’ve had nothing but good experiences around Matt so the last part about the caddie health care was a surprise. I don’t think this story will go away until he addresses it. And who knows if he ever will.
That's interesting--thanks for sharing. I have a hard time picturing Kuchar be so adamant about refusing health care plans for caddies--I assume that would pull a little bit of money out of the event purses?

Tomas

Everything golf

Postby Tomas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Just read the story. What a Canaan. Kuchar might want to reconsider going to Mexico City next weekend. Also,
As the golf world reacted to the latest twist in the Kuchar-David Giral Ortiz (a.k.a. El Tucan) saga on Tuesday, Twitter user Legal Hooks shared his own Kuchar-caddie story, which took place during the Web.com (then Nationwide) Tour’s Rheem Classic presented by Times Record held at Hardscrabble Country Club in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
THREAD: Time for my personal #MattKuchar caddy story. It's the 2006 Rheem Classic on what was then the Nationwide Tour. I'm a 16 y/o high school kid who is a volunteer local caddy for the tournament. I get super lucky and get picked by local legend Bryce Molder.

The first day that we're on the course, Bryce is going to play a practice round with Chez Reavie, Matt Kuchar, & a 4th who I can't remember. I do everything I can to keep up and follow the lead of the professional caddies who were in the group with the other guys. We make the turn, and the pros stop for a snack. I'm running around trying to make sure I have water in the bag and a wet towel to clean Bryce's golf ball while the players go in the clubhouse. When they come back, Bryce isn't with them b/c he had to go to the bathroom.

Chez & the 4th guy in the group hand some free ice cream to their caddies. Matt turns to me and hands me what I thought was ice cream for me. I tell him thank you very much and start to open it. He yells at me to stop like I'm about to set off a bomb. He yanks it out of my hand and stares down at me (he's about a foot taller than me at this time) and says, "No, that's for Bryce, not you" and then walks over and puts it on the bag. I sheepishly apologize and go stand by myself. After everyone hits & we start walking down 10 fairway, his caddy comes over and pats me on the back and offers me a granola bar that he had.

It was obvious that Kuch always treated people like this. The entire round Kuch didn't say a single kind word to me or act like I even existed. If this happened to me today, as an adult w/ self-confidence, then I would've spoken up for myself. But as a chubby, 5'4", 16 y/o there was no way I was going to talk back to a pro golfer. So, this is a long rant just to say that Kuch has always been a guy who demeaned and talked down to caddies. I'm sure he treats all "the help" like that. I'm glad the story about #ElTucan came out so that everyone can see it.

I'm sure this club caddie in Mayakoba had no idea what he should have been negotiating for himself and for Kuchar to say “For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5,000 week is a really big week,” is just awful. I will now actively root against him as if he was Shooter McGavin.
I don't play golf and so I don't know what going rates for caddies are, but the Mayakoba caddies are very likely dealing with EXTREMELY rich client base - as Mayakoba is a cluster of very, very luxurious American resorts. My family have been taking vacations there (albeit in the Fairmont, aka "weakest link" of the Mayakoba opulence :lol: ), and I saw the golfers at El Camaleon. I would hope that the players' wealth would correlate with caddies' earning potential....

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm

I don't play golf and so I don't know what going rates for caddies are, but the Mayakoba caddies are very likely dealing with EXTREMELY rich client base - as Mayakoba is a cluster of very, very luxurious American resorts. My family have been taking vacations there (albeit in the Fairmont, aka "weakest link" of the Mayakoba opulence :lol: ), and I saw the golfers at El Camaleon. I would hope that the players' wealth would correlate with caddies' earning potential....
I don't believe the Mayakoba resorts are all inclusive, but in general I've found resorts to bring out the worst in people, especially when it comes to tipping.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 pm

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Pepperell is the best

Tomas

Everything golf

Postby Tomas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 pm

I don't believe the Mayakoba resorts are all inclusive, but in general I've found resorts to bring out the worst in people, especially when it comes to tipping.
:lol:

Fairmont is the only one that has the option to go all-inclusive (which thanks to having small kids I always gladly take), but you may be right. Anytime I meet the guests from the other resorts (there is a boat-loop service connecting all 4 resorts) and I have to listen to their conversations - it's pretty much Donald Trump meets Wilbur Ross...

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 pm

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Kuchs reputation is gone

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Hot off the presses...

Kuchar put out a statement today apologizing for the remarks in the story. He plans to call the caddy tonite to apologize and has ‘made sure he has received the full total that he has requested’. In addition, he is making a donation to the Mayakoba charities.

Took him a while but he finally realized his error and is trying to make up for it.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Meh good on him making it right. But he showed his true colors if you ask me. The tournament was three months ago and it took the public outcry for it to happen.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Meh good on him making it right. But he showed his true colors if you ask me. The tournament was three months ago and it took the public outcry for it to happen.
This.

Tomas

Everything golf

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Australian Open winners: 1998 (Petr), 2012 (Jessica), 2018 (Sebastian), 2019 (Nelly):

https://golfweek.com/2019/02/17/nelly-k ... australia/

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Totally forgot that the new schedule means this is TPC week. Nice first round from Fleetwood. I’d put money on him winning a major this year.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:14 pm

had to watch this quite a few times to realize what happened:
https://twitter.com/Skratch/status/1106294013898817541

Off the stick, off the cup and in.

also upgraded to a set of Mizuno JPX 900s last week. Going from the **** 20 year old clubs to the Cobra S2s that I had was a big difference, and these are even a bigger upgrade.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Rough opening round for Fowler and Stenson.

Also, what happened to Casey? I remember thinking he was going to win majors when he was in his late 20s.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Back 9 played a ton easier than the front 9 did today. Probably more of the same on Friday but the weekend is gonna get a lot more interesting weather-wise and it'll make the course a lot more difficult.

Fowler was fighting a bug so it makes sense that he struggled. Stenson had a crap Thursday last week and put it together over the next 3 so we'll see if he rebounds. As for Casey, I was pretty surprised when I came up on him at the end of his round and he was at +6. Woof. But if you're going just slightly wrong at Sawgrass, Pete Dye will expose it in the worst way.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Great round from Chester County's hometown boy Jim Furyk. Sung Kang is -7 through 12 :shock:

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Furyk with the lead in the clubhouse. Rory and Snedeker the only two that can catch him imo.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Great finish so far. Too bad I'm leaving in fifteen for the game

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:38 pm

In a lot of past tournaments where he had the chance to win from the final group, Rory would have folded up after making that bogey on 14. He sacked up and hit a big bunker shot on 15 and rolled in the putt and then got on in 2 at 16 to take the lead. His 2nd shot on 18 was one of the ballsiest lines to take in a 1-shot game. I'm watching it in the air from across the lake and thinking, 'that could be big trouble'. He said afterwards that it turned over a bit more than he had planned for and fortunately, he had played for the right edge of the green knowing that slope there would take it towards the hole. As usual, a fun finish complete with 2 ridiculous putts by Vegas and Pepperell on 17. Just wish the weather had been a bit better on the weekend just so there would have been more sundresses out. The Friday crowd was insane for people watching.

And, a little vantage point pic as they came down the stretch yesterday:

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Are you between 16g and 17t there?
Pan to the right looking up 16 and that's where I met my first gator.