Everything golf

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:57 pm

what a bizarre take

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:16 pm

would you still dislike LIV if it was normal golf (72 holes, no team bullshit, possibly with cuts) but just with guaranteed contracts?

I actually don’t really mind that model, especially since the winnings are withheld until the player accrues the guaranteed amount. For me, the majority of my annoyance with it is how gimmicky the competition is

I don’t mind the guaranteed contracts as much because that’s how team sports work. No one is upset that Mike Trout makes what he makes despite not winning a World Series (or even making the playoffs outside of one season)

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:07 am

But then what are they playing for in the tournament? The biggest thing we see with individual sports -- golf, tennis, bowling, world cup skiing, etc -- is that the better the finish in the competition, the more money you make. LIV events are simply exhibitions whether they were 54, 72, 90, whatever amount of holes. If they attach world ranking points to it (which may not happen until 2024 anyway) then MAYBE it adds something to it.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:21 am

Agree with OP. There's nothing preventing me from just going through the motions; unless you think the Saudi's might off you for stealing their money, which I suppose isn't out of the realm. So it's basically just a practice round. Now, the guys like Cam who are qualified for some majors basically use the other tournaments as tune ups anyways, so there's not a hell of a lot of difference for them. But in those tournaments, the larger body of PGA players are fighting for an entry spot which makes for compelling competition.
The only thing you'd be playing for is pride and trying to make more money through marketing deals because of your success. But they already handed you a $140m check, are you really scrounging for 5k from the First State Bank of Salome to put their name on your hat?

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:31 pm

Golfer needed to eagle 18 to make the cut at the KFT.

He missed the putt, because golf, of course.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:49 pm

My ball striking from 3H down and my putting are the best they've ever been, but I've completely lost my tee ball so I can't break 85.

Golf is fun.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:19 pm

LIV allowing players to wear shorts now. How long until the PGA follows suit?

I gotta admit, I don’t like seeing players in shorts. I concede that it’s really dumb and I don’t have anything other than “I just don’t like how it looks”

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:41 am

i love showing up to an outing or a random round and random muni course and seeing Tommy Tryhard in his pants

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:33 am

I will never wear long pants to a local course unless it's legit chilly/cold.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:51 pm

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:24 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:07 am

BMW shortened to 54 holes

LIV can’t stop winning

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:13 pm

**** this guy man

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:43 pm

**** this guy man

One of Rahm's closest friends was first alternate for this event. Dude is pissed.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:16 pm

Lowry with his first win since the Open, great to see. What a finish.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:57 am

Wanted to post my 2022 goals so I can check back at the end of the year and see if I have made improvements:

VGA Armed Forces Cup Regional Qualifier (our Ryder Cup)
I was invited to this event next week. I built up a huge lead at the beginning of our wrap-around season and was 2nd of out 8 when I got injured. I fell to 8th and just hung on. The regional director contacted me today asking if I would accept the invite.

Looks like we'll be playing at Out Door Country Club in York, PA. The weekend of October 21st. Not a bad draw considering the north region goes from Maine to VA/WV.

Format is two days of match play. Players that win both days go to Pinehurst on Memorial Day weekend. At Pinehurst we compete as teams, service branch against service branch.

I think I might have a chance. My understanding is the format is match play, but we're given handicap strokes. My problem is generally blow-up holes and those count the same in match play regardless of how big they get.

My problem is that I haven't practiced since June and have only played a few casual rounds since then. I'll have to ramp things up in October, maybe take a lesson with my coach and see what he says about my limited swing.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:10 pm

Or, play lots of rounds with your check swing to make sure your handicap updates accordingly.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:41 pm

I'm still a 30 in their system so I'm not worried about handicap issues. :lol:

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:00 pm

Good stuff dodint. Pinehurst is on the golf bucket list

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:34 pm

Me too.

Unfortunately, I just got my invitation and they moved it this time. It's at Champions Retreat Golf Club in Augusta, GA. Never heard of it.

That's really **** annoying because our organization is headquartered at Pinehurst and I'm pretty sure every AFC has been held there so far.

I'm probably still going to play in regionals but I'll probably pass on the AFC if I make it.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:05 pm

Champions Retreat is where they hold the first two rounds of the ANWA prior to the ladies getting a crack at Augusta National in the final round. I haven’t been to the course but have heard it’s really good. And I can’t imagine the Greenjackets would pick a crap course to hold an event.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:16 pm

I'm not upset about the course selection as much as I am about the late change. They didn't tell us until after we signed up ($76 membership fee) for the 2022-2023 season. Their promo materials and the tour manual still clearly state Pinehurst. Our organization is based out of Pinehurst so it's a pretty big change to be told we're not going there. I spoke with the regional director and he said "Pinehurst is no longer a viable option for the VGA as a host site due to increased costs."

I worked hard for that invite. I spent a lot of weekends on the road in PA and WV making it happen. Including the WV state championship where I injured my leg, which still hasn't fully healed.

Anyway, I went from earning that invitation that I worked a whole year for to not even being a member of the organization in the course of a few hours. This blows.

There were a number of reasons why I did not renew, some problems bigger than others. I just didn't see the point in going and staying three days in York, PA playing competitive golf just to decline the next step if I achieved it. My spot will go to the next guy, who I happen to know is a good guy. It's not a completely bad ending.

I hope they fix the other problems and I only sit out a year. I've had a lot of fun playing with them. But not at the increasingly high costs.

Also a little annoyed that Oakmont never happened (sorry TL). The only thing I'm not going to get to do next year that interested me is Greenbrier. But that's not that exclusive anyway.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:18 pm

I can fill in for you at the Augusta course dodint. I think I could pull off an imitation of you. Just gotta wear stilts

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Nsfw

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:08 pm

Just witnessed one of the wildest endings in my tenure with GC.

Fortinet Championship, 72nd hole, Danny Willett leading by 1. He sticks his 3rd on the par 5 to 3 1/2 feet. Max Homa fluffs his 3rd shot out of the bunker and still has to pitch. Homa then pitches in for birdie to get to -16. Willett now needs to make the shorty for the win. He misses and whacks it 4 1/2 feet by. Then Willett misses the comebacker and Homa walks away with his 2nd straight Fortinet Championship. In a space of 5 minutes, we went from Willett winning to playoff to Homa winning.