MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:37 pm

I played pittsburgh national for the first time today. I didnt like it

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:20 pm

I played pittsburgh national for the first time today. I didnt like it
It’s hit or miss for me. What did you not like about it?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Pros: for the most part, the holes were fair and for a for the most part, it avoided blind shots. The front 9 is a good 9 holes. I do like that there is some risk reward on a lot of shortish par 4s where you have to make some choices on using a driver or laying up

Cons: the back nine has some really really stupid holes. I kept on hoping that it was just one crappy stretch of property (what course in western pa doesn’t have a stretch of crappy land?) but the back nine starts bad and just kept sucking for the most part. Also, some sloppy customer service....there was trash in the golf cart we used, and after our round, we went to the bar to get a hot dog and Beveridge and there was no one working at the bar. So we went to Wendy’s on Freeport road instead.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Beveridge lol

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:44 pm

@Orlando Penguin please advise
Clarify your question, por favor

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:53 pm

Why is there a coverage gap and why is it right when the leaders tee off?

Why do networks feel anyone cares about the Wyndham Rewards points and not put the place of the golfer in the tournament they're currently playing when they're hitting a shot? Seems like much more useful info to see Kuchar -12 (T2) pop up on my screen

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Why do networks feel anyone cares about the Wyndham Rewards points and not put the place of the golfer in the tournament they're currently playing when they're hitting a shot? Seems like much more useful info to see Kuchar -12 (T2) pop up on my screen
Coverage gap -- you can blame that one squarely on CBS. Those poor babies feel like they need a 15-minute break before they come up at the top of the hour. You will notice when we get to the BMW Championship, for instance, that early coverage will come up from 1 to 3 and then roll right over into NBC at 3. We hate it just as much as the viewership because that means we have to put on a 15-minute show to bridge that gap.

As for Wyndham Rewards and FedExCup points, that's strictly a Tour initiative. They implemented that Wyndham Rewards race thing which nobody understands and we're required to update it or mention it once or twice during a broadcast. Same goes with the FedExCup points race. At least with the FedExCup, it determines placement in the playoffs and a big bonus at the end. Wyndham Rewards is just pointless sponsorship dollars going into millionaires' bank accounts. I can guarantee you that Matt Kuchar and Brooks Koepka have no idea they're duking it out for the Wyndham lead unless you tell them that before they have to answer a testimonial question about it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:22 am

Pros: for the most part, the holes were fair and for a for the most part, it avoided blind shots. The front 9 is a good 9 holes. I do like that there is some risk reward on a lot of shortish par 4s where you have to make some choices on using a driver or laying up

Cons: the back nine has some really really stupid holes. I kept on hoping that it was just one crappy stretch of property (what course in western pa doesn’t have a stretch of crappy land?) but the back nine starts bad and just kept sucking for the most part. Also, some sloppy customer service....there was trash in the golf cart we used, and after our round, we went to the bar to get a hot dog and Beveridge and there was no one working at the bar. So we went to Wendy’s on Freeport road instead.
1-8 are good holes. after that :| they usually overbook the course; its been a while since i have played a round there under 5 hours. have had the same situation at the bar

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:04 am

Coverage gap -- you can blame that one squarely on CBS. Those poor babies feel like they need a 15-minute break before they come up at the top of the hour. You will notice when we get to the BMW Championship, for instance, that early coverage will come up from 1 to 3 and then roll right over into NBC at 3. We hate it just as much as the viewership because that means we have to put on a 15-minute show to bridge that gap.

As for Wyndham Rewards and FedExCup points, that's strictly a Tour initiative. They implemented that Wyndham Rewards race thing which nobody understands and we're required to update it or mention it once or twice during a broadcast. Same goes with the FedExCup points race. At least with the FedExCup, it determines placement in the playoffs and a big bonus at the end. Wyndham Rewards is just pointless sponsorship dollars going into millionaires' bank accounts. I can guarantee you that Matt Kuchar and Brooks Koepka have no idea they're duking it out for the Wyndham lead unless you tell them that before they have to answer a testimonial question about it.
Interesting. I always thought for some reason it had to do with changing signage or cameras or both.

Yeah kinda figured the points is a Tour thing. Just always thought it made too much sense to have their tournament standing there too. Just the little things that bug me watching golf :lol: thanks for the insight as always

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Gonna be in Florida this weekend for a memorial service and going to miss most of the US Open. Yes, I'm fcking irritated. Most annoyed that we are flying back Sunday at 5:30 :evil: :evil:

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:01 pm

1-8 are good holes. after that :| they usually overbook the course; its been a while since i have played a round there under 5 hours. have had the same situation at the bar
I generally like Pittsburgh National, but do agree with both of yinz. The course is usually overbooked and a round always seems to take 5 hours and the back 9 pisses me off. It doesn't piss me off as much as the back 9 at Conley, but I've had a handful of good front 9s derailed by a shitty drive on 10.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Day 1 in the books at Pebble. Mother Nature was showing off today. Of the 7 times I've been here, this was probably the most perfect weather situation of them all -- 80's, a little ocean breeze, bright sunshine. As for the course, the rough is no joke. It's lush and green and it's tough to advance the ball the lengths you want it to go if you're stuck in it. Watched Tiger hit one out of the rough at 3 about 110 yards up the fairway. Tiger did a ton of work around the greens with the rough and how the ball would react coming out of it on those greens. One other impression from today was that they have stretched Pebble as far as they can distance-wise. I saw tee boxes in places that I didn't see them when I was here for the AT&T in 2017. It's looking like the USGA is going to have a watering issue on their hands since there's no rain in the forecast and it's going to be 80s Tuesday and Wednesday followed by consistent high 60's, low 70's for tournament days.

Some pics under the spoiler...

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:05 am

Of the 7 times I've been here,
And you call Mother Nature the show off. Great pics. What do you think the odds are that the USGA actually bothers to water the course?

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 am

awesome, so pumped for the Open this week. Hopefully the USGA doesn't **** it up

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 am

my next door neighbor growing up has been playing on some mini tours out in AZ the past couple years and just got into the Web.com event this week through the Monday qualifier yesterday. Pretty sweet

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am

Of the 7 times I've been here,
And you call Mother Nature the show off. Great pics. What do you think the odds are that the USGA actually bothers to water the course?
They have to water the greens or else the poa will get out of control for the leaders on the weekend (remember Tiger’s putt on 18 at Torrey? Ball will be hopping even more). There’s already talk of syringing the greens. Those dummies can’t afford the bad press that they consistently get. You can’t f up Pebble.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 am

Great pics OP! I'm aggravated as **** that I am going to miss most of it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 am

do you get merch from the places you go? I would probably have an insane ball marker collection

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 pm

do you get merch from the places you go? I would probably have an insane ball marker collection
Every time I go to a new event or a major in a different location (so, every major but the Masters), I get a logo ball. I think my collection is close to 70 now.

LITT

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:10 pm

That is awesome. How do you have it displayed

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:10 pm

That is awesome. How do you have it displayed
Have a rack of 40 filled on one cabinet in my living room followed by a rack of 16 sitting right next to it and then another rack of 16 that’s not totally filled on a shelf a little below it. It’s a cabinet that also hosts a collection of bobbleheads and other sport-related memorabilia. Need to do a remodel once I get a new 40-ball rack.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm

When did you start? ie did you start collecting them ten majors into working and have a few out there you wish you had?

LITT

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Save it for his AMA

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 pm

😕