Everything golf

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:20 am

I don’t know what the correct format would be for these “playoff” events, but that change doesn’t seem like a winner either. They keep trying to make these tournaments mean more than the majors, but no one is buying it so how about we do something different: head to head competition and not championships decided by arbitrary point systems.

I say embrace match play. Tweek the point system based on tournament difficultly and maybe a bit for tournaments later in the year so you’re catching guys when they’re hot, but at some arbitrary cutoff date, could even be after three FedEx Cup events like the old days, call it the end of the regular season and the top eight in points move on to The Tour Championship, a four day match play event of some currently undetermined structure that boils down to a last day where two golfers spend the day going at it head to head to win the championship. I’d watch the **** out of that.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:43 am

Played The Monster on the Mon for the first time Saturday morning. Shot a 92. Could've been better, as I had about 3 triples, but I made up for it with some strong pars (including the hole with the elevated green).

I just know next time not to try and take driver on the front 9 after hole 1.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:50 am

I mean it's better than what they had. After day 1 it will be easier to forget about the head start and just look at the scores.

But DD is right, they need bigger change if they want people to give a sht. I think a format like the NCAA national championship - stroke play tourney and top say 16 go on to match play. They shoehorn themselves with trying to make the regular season count for something in the playoffs as well so they'd have to drop the FedEx points once it started. Which.. that's kinda how every other sports does playoffs. You don't bring your record past the regular season

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 am

Golfed 18 holes on Saturday. Walked it, and had to wait forever on #4, but finally was able to play through and finished the round in 2 hours and 40 minutes. Shot a 78. Went and got a beer and some wings while the wife was at a picnic with the little one. It was a good day.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am

I don’t think it’s a terrible way to decide the FedExCup. Where I bristle is that the player who wins the Cup also gets credit for an official victory at the Tour Championship. That’s pretty ridiculous. Imagine Tiger breaking Sam Snead’s record but only because he started at -8 and won by a shot over someone who started at -4. The Tour is never going to change the TC because of all of the stuff that comes with making it - Masters invite, access to other majors, etc. If they wanted a true ‘playoff’, play two rounds of stroke play on Thursday-Friday (so everyone’s happy that they can see everyone for at least two days...the whole reason why the WGC Match Play has that hideous pod system), cut it to top 16 and then have two days of match play. Then you might have something. But the Tour is so stuck in their ways and the networks want it a certain way and most likely hate match play due to the possibility of a Sunday bereft of ‘stars’, so expect this format to hang around for a couple of years.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Played The Monster on the Mon for the first time Saturday morning. Shot a 92. Could've been better, as I had about 3 triples, but I made up for it with some strong pars (including the hole with the elevated green).

crappy course, good views.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Where I bristle is that the player who wins the Cup also gets credit for an official victory at the Tour Championship. That’s pretty ridiculous.
That's a great point.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:59 pm

crappy course, good views.

Only paid $20 since they aerated the greens last week. Made putting a little interesting, especially since I had an outing at Olde Stonewall today.

Jim

Everything golf

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:23 pm

My 2 cents on golf...

Around 1990, I almost had a hole-in-one at South Park, hole 8. Lipped the hole and stopped about 4 inches from the cup.

Around 2000, I eagled at Rolling Green, maybe #9? That was the last time I golfed.

That's all I got...

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:08 pm

Glad to see them clear the course when they did. I live 3.5 miles from East Lake and when they blew the horn it was sunny but now it’s lightning and coming down pretty good. This storm cell popped up FAST!

grunthy

Everything golf

Postby grunthy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Six people injured by lightning strike at PGA Tour Championship.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Local news reported that they had taken cover under a tree. Not sure what they were thinking with that.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:49 pm

People are incredibly dumb. The Tour has a dedicated meteorologist in tune with everything and the call to suspend play goes up soon enough for EVERYONE to clear the course. That horn sounds, leave or find suitable shelter. Too many times, people think they're all smart and will just continue walking around or as we saw today, hang out under a damn tree. We had a bolt strike a tree at the US Women's Open in Charleston in May but fortunately, there wasn't anyone around it. Apparently, the injuries weren't from the bolt but from falling debris from the tree. So in that case, those people are incredibly lucky.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:44 am

People are incredibly dumb. The Tour has a dedicated meteorologist in tune with everything and the call to suspend play goes up soon enough for EVERYONE to clear the course. That horn sounds, leave or find suitable shelter. Too many times, people think they're all smart and will just continue walking around or as we saw today, hang out under a damn tree. We had a bolt strike a tree at the US Women's Open in Charleston in May but fortunately, there wasn't anyone around it. Apparently, the injuries weren't from the bolt but from falling debris from the tree. So in that case, those people are incredibly lucky.
Yuppers. People always think they know better when the weather warnings come. I think it is part of this ingrained cultural thing to always distrust meteorologists.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:29 am

I disagree shad. People are dumb yes, but it's because they think the odds of lightning getting them are so low. I don't think it has anything to do with trusting meteorologists or not

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:47 pm

I disagree shad. People are dumb yes, but it's because they think the odds of lightning getting them are so low. I don't think it has anything to do with trusting meteorologists or not
Stop interrupting my narrative, ulf.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:54 pm

Shut up weatherboy

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm

Played Pleasant Valley over the weekend with three friends. Paired off and played best ball so the round would move a little quicker. I couldn't do **** with my driver and sliced everything right for the first nine. Ended up putting the driver away on the back and used my fairway wood for all par 4/5s until we hit 18.

Greens on this course were much, much smaller than I remember. For those of you who played at Moon, that tiny green on #4 would have been the largest green on this course. You basically had to play your shot 10-20 feet in front of the green and hope that it bounced reasonably close to the hole. The greens themselves were like putting on a 30 year old sidewalk, dried up to the point where parts of the greens were cracking and were poorly maintained. We originally agreed to pick up within 5 ft of the hole because the greens were that bad, but that went out the window by the third hole.

The only highlight of the day was missing a hole in one by a little more than a putter length.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 pm

None of that sounds very pleasant.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:24 pm

I thought the tour championship turned out fine fwiw. It was a little confusing off the bat but once it got started and especially after day 1, it was pretty easy to follow. Is it the best way to determine a champ? i don't know.. but probably the best way if they want to keep this sort of format

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:25 pm

as for ulf's club championship - saturday's net 73 gets me 7 shots back with 2 rounds to go. #liveundernetpar

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Popped a 77 out this afternoon, my best score in 8 years. It included a chip-in birdie on the 1st, back-to-back birds on 11 & 12, and even par on the back 9. And I still left 5-6 shots out there. I'm more than ready to tackle some Central PA courses next week.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Where all are you playing OP?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 pm

golf is the best

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Where all are you playing OP?
My parents live in Palmyra and I'm very much a muni-type player so trying to talk my way onto Hershey CC or some place like that isn't my cup of tea. Most definitely will play Fairview, which is between Lebanon and Palmyra, and Manada, which is next to Penn National Race Course. After that, we'll see what else I can get myself into. Shouldn't have a problem getting on anywhere as a single. Naturally I have to be home when my brother and my friends are all working.