Everything golf

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Yep that’s the one lol
Enjoy. It's a beautiful course. #2 can be a round ruiner. Make sure you hit the green.
Went 41 55. Very bummed. Nice course. Beautiful landscaping. Terrain is stupid. Greens were very tough. Never knew it existed there.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:52 pm

Speaking of stupid terrains

If you hate hitting golf shots where the ball is level with your feet, three lakes is the place for you.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:16 pm

Pittsburgh North will also provide a similar experience, especially #2, which is pretty much a 30° slope from right to left down the entire fairway.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:55 am

we used to do our annual outing at Lakeview every year until this year. Same deal, 36, dinner and brunch, thought we paid about 200 pp i think.. it's a good spot for a good time. The Lakeview course is actually pretty sweet. Mountainview is okay. Lodging is okay. But for that price that's pretty awesome. The clubhouse bar has a deck that overlooks the 18th green and makes for a fun time
This tracked. Place was more or less a hole, barely staffed, the bar restaurant thing was decent, but the hotel was barely staffed, checking in was a disaster because their key cards only worked 50% of the time, and still an awesome place to play golf for two days.

Our group basically had the entire course each day. The greens and tee boxes were absolute trash at lakeview, Mountain View was in better shape, only like two greens that had to be re sawed.

First day my partner and I were at a similar level and we played a group with one dude that was a 5 handicap and his friend who stunk, but the 5 basically only plays at his club and spent most of the day complaining about the course, so we won 3 and 2, but it wasn’t really close, they would sneak out wins because we were awful on the green.

Day two, I played with one of those guys that shanks every third shot, but will all of a sudden stick an automatic birdie out of nowhere. This was against two accountants in their 20’s, so they definitely had the hangover advantage, I spent the morning over the toilet, and was miraculously able to hold some toast down at breakfast, so only had to deal with a piercing headache. Won that one 3 and 2 as well, with even more exaggerated buffoonery on the greens from myself. Thankfully my partner was able to hole 3 footers, i did not actually putt the ball in to the hole until 17, after the match was over. This was straight scramble format, we missed maybe 3-4 greens, and did not get up and down once, three-putt I think 3 times, and actually had one 4 putt double that halved a hole. I was probably 16/18 for playable tee shots and one of those was after my partner hit a good one and I missed long trying to cut a dogleg.

Playing competitive golf is so much fun, this was audit vs advisory, and we took it 5-4

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:59 am

Haha that's great. It's a fun time but nothing great. As long as your expectations are fine it's a good time. Did you guys find the bar down by the like, 9th green? Think it's called Tropics or something like that

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:37 pm

I didn’t make it past legends, but yeah, most of the group went down there

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 pm

my man dodint doesn't play for 7 years and is already signed up for a tour. love it
I won our event at Hill Crest today. Netted a 64. A product of my rapid improvement combined with the VGA running their own handicap system that hasn't caught up to my game yet. I am a 36 with the VGA while my WHS is 29. I shot a 105, my recent very short chipping woes are still in play. Hill Crest was nice, would love to play there again.

Hopefully the handicap will recalculate in time for Westmoreland CC tomorrow, it was a nice novelty but I don't want to win this way again.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:18 am

my man dodint doesn't play for 7 years and is already signed up for a tour. love it
I won our event at Hill Crest today. Netted a 64. A product of my rapid improvement combined with the VGA running their own handicap system that hasn't caught up to my game yet. I am a 36 with the VGA while my WHS is 29. I shot a 105, my recent very short chipping woes are still in play. Hill Crest was nice, would love to play there again.

Hopefully the handicap will recalculate in time for Westmoreland CC tomorrow, it was a nice novelty but I don't want to win this way again.
Congrats! A win is a win, you played better relative to normal than the rest of the field

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:42 am

That’s awesome. Congrats!

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:39 pm

Great stuff dodint.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:51 pm

I can see how you feel that way, makes it feel like you were sandbagging.

But you weren’t, you just devoted some physical and mental energy to getting better at golf. Shaved like 25 strokes in one summer, you can take pride in that.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:58 pm

I played in a church scramble Saturday morning. I was the best player on our team, which is really, really not good :lol: We ended up with an 86.

The main issue was that if I didn't hit a good tee shot, we were screwed on most holes. The positive takeaway is that I have been absolutely lights out from 100-150 yards away. I've been practicing with those Almost Golf balls in the yard with my 8/9/PW and it's clearly paying off.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Great stuff shaf. What's your status with the lessons?

The U

Everything golf

Postby The U » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:25 pm

I’m thinking about getting a putting lesson.

Has anyone had putting lesson(s) before? I wonder how much bang for your buck you get. YouTube has helped give me some ideas but I wonder what a real lesson would look like. Make sure my stroke is going straight back/straight forward? Help me read greens? Help me with grip and become less hands?

Lots of people have success stories after getting lessons to help with driver/irons but I don’t think I’ve ever heard somebody say that a putting lesson really changed their game.

I’m regularly shooting mid-80s on tough courses but 3-putting is something that’s keeping me from taking more strokes off. I think if the stars aligned I could break 80 if I was able to putt consistently.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:42 pm

Ever try crosshanded putting/left hand low? Because I played baseball, my putting was always way too wristy. I went to crosshand many years ago and takes the wrists right out of play. Also try a bit of a forward press and just rock the shoulders and trust your line.

On the lessons side, I'm taking some for the first time in 17 years. Saw my swing on video during the introductory lesson and it's no wonder I take giant pieces of turf out with my wedges. I'm steeper than the Duquesne Incline. Today was my first opportunity to play after a pair of lessons and daily drill work to shallow everything out and get me more on plane. There were a few hiccups which were expected but overall, the dreaded slingblade slice was nowhere to be found and I nearly had the greatest hole-out birdie in golf history from 125 yards (drive way left into a greenside bunker of a different hole, airmailed the fairway into the hazard, dropped, hit 4th shot from 125 to a couple of inches). My biggest issue is patience with changes like this but it was very encouraging to see that I could trust the changes for the most part and see decent results.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 am

Great stuff shaf. What's your status with the lessons?
Haven't scheduled them yet :lol:

Need to just do it, but now I'm wondering if I should wait for the spring.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:25 am

I'm going to keep doing mine until the courses are closed, but I have an indoor simulator facility five minutes away that I plan to keep hitting at in the winter.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:42 am

I’m thinking about getting a putting lesson.

Has anyone had putting lesson(s) before? I wonder how much bang for your buck you get. YouTube has helped give me some ideas but I wonder what a real lesson would look like. Make sure my stroke is going straight back/straight forward? Help me read greens? Help me with grip and become less hands?

Lots of people have success stories after getting lessons to help with driver/irons but I don’t think I’ve ever heard somebody say that a putting lesson really changed their game.

I’m regularly shooting mid-80s on tough courses but 3-putting is something that’s keeping me from taking more strokes off. I think if the stars aligned I could break 80 if I was able to putt consistently.
I bought a three pack of lessons and used the third to go over short game stuff. I don't think it was tremendously helpful. The chipping piece was helpful because he showed me how to change the grip for shorter shots. But overall, I would have been better served to hold that last lesson for another swing evaluation.

Putting is repetition, I think my putting regressed a ton from 2020 to 2021 because I would spend a lot of time last year just going to the schenley putting green when I had free time. I think if you watch some youtube videos that show you the drills to help with speed and contact, you'll see some improvements

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 am

But if your putting stroke is completely FUBAR'd and you can't hit a putt straight, a lesson could be helpful in order to figure out what exactly you're doing wrong in your stroke.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:42 am

On the lessons side, I'm taking some for the first time in 17 years. Saw my swing on video during the introductory lesson and it's no wonder I take giant pieces of turf out with my wedges. I'm steeper than the Duquesne Incline. Today was my first opportunity to play after a pair of lessons and daily drill work to shallow everything out and get me more on plane.
OP my friend. I changed my swing about 95% in the past year to get less steep and go more in to out. However, my divots with my wedges still would make Daniel Boone proud. What did you do to shallow out the wedges?

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:07 am

Shaf, have you heard good things about Bon Air CC in Glen Rock? Looks nice from what I can see online. I'm thinking of making the trip out there for a veterans event in two weeks.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:02 pm

Shaf, have you heard good things about Bon Air CC in Glen Rock? Looks nice from what I can see online. I'm thinking of making the trip out there for a veterans event in two weeks.
Looks like a really nice course. Haven't heard anything about it, it's private isn't it?

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Yeah.

Speaking of, Westmoreland CC was a really nice course. Loved that it wasn't as tight as Hill Crest. It just wasn't in the best condition. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but they kind of gave us the short end of the stick. Their range was closed, and they had just aerated the teeboxes, fairways, and greens. Pro Shop guy said 'that's why we gave you a discount.' That's fine, but they didn't tell us the range would be closed and the cost we paid included range balls. We paid $70 and they said the normal rate was $110. Again, it was nice of them to allow us any access at all. But as someone actively shopping for country club memberships it didn't leave the greatest impression.

That's the first time I've ever played on aerated greens. Was weird seeing a one-foot plume of sand come up when you hit the green.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah.

Speaking of, Westmoreland CC was a really nice course. Loved that it wasn't as tight as Hill Crest. It just wasn't in the best condition. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but they kind of gave us the short end of the stick. Their range was closed, and they had just aerated the teeboxes, fairways, and greens. Pro Shop guy said 'that's why we gave you a discount.' That's fine, but they didn't tell us the range would be closed and the cost we paid included range balls. We paid $70 and they said the normal rate was $110. Again, it was nice of them to allow us any access at all. But as someone actively shopping for country club memberships it didn't leave the greatest impression.

That's the first time I've ever played on aerated greens. Was weird seeing a one-foot plume of sand come up when you hit the green.
Support our vets!

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm

westmoreland is a nice course