Everything golf

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:38 pm

We shot -1. It's just a group of 16 of us that play every Memorial day, 4th and Labor day. So we tied for first and there was one in at even. I think the lowest ever in one of these might be -3 or 4 but sometimes even wins. There's only 8 teams so it's not like a loaded field or anything

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:50 pm

We shot -1. It's just a group of 16 of us that play every Memorial day, 4th and Labor day. So we tied for first and there was one in at even. I think the lowest ever in one of these might be -3 or 4 but sometimes even wins. There's only 8 teams so it's not like a loaded field or anything
I've only ever done a scramble once, this may, it was a 2-person one and we scored an 82. So I would say -1 is solid. The guy I played with has never scored under 100, so I am quite curious what it will be like with a decent golfer.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:18 pm

I BROKE 100!!!

It's not just that I broke the number, but the way I got there.

I shot a 54 on the front. Over my last five holes, I rung up my first three pars of the day, including the Par 5 18th which is a 520 yard uphill hole, toughest hole on the back. Hit a wedge to 20 feet and two putted for par. Ended up with a 45 on the back.

Lot of good stuff to build on today. Mentally I just had fun and it helped.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:58 pm

Waddaplayah!!!!!

:fist:

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:13 pm

Thanks dude. Felt good.

Most importantly.... Zero mulligans/shenanigans

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:01 pm

@shafnutz05 lower is a good dude, happy to see that. A friend of mine from Cleveland grew up playing against him and noted that it was a one sided affair - against Lower. He was a late bloomer and went D2 and then really worked at it and now he has his card. Really cool
That's an awesome story

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Congrats shad!

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Shot a 101 today. Not even mad. Was at the golf course for over six hours. Got to the second tee and 3 groups were waiting to hit. It took us over an hour to get to the third tee box (from the start of the round). Just couldn't find a rhythm, and I was playing with two non-golfers so it was more of a social thing. Strung together a few nice holes but couldn't maintain it with all the sitting around.

I like Glengarry and consider it my home course, but it was bush league out there today.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:14 am

didn’t you like start golfing two days ago? how can you possibly be mad at a 101 :slug:

I’m worried that by this time next year you’re gonna be better than me

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:57 am

Shot a 101 today. Not even mad. Was at the golf course for over six hours. Got to the second tee and 3 groups were waiting to hit. It took us over an hour to get to the third tee box (from the start of the round). Just couldn't find a rhythm, and I was playing with two non-golfers so it was more of a social thing. Strung together a few nice holes but couldn't maintain it with all the sitting around.

I like Glengarry and consider it my home course, but it was bush league out there today.
Oh man, our back nine was played like that yesterday. Two older couples that were never going to leave a single golf ball behind. Impressive score with those mental conditions.

When we got to 18 green, the one guy had walked back to the green to find his fcking ball. Give it up bro.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:23 am

didn’t you like start golfing two days ago?
It was my 21st round of the year.
how can you possibly be mad at a 101 :slug:
I'm not. It was my first round after breaking 100 so a follow-up under 100 would have been nice. I had two lost balls and that was the difference, ultimately. It was still my second best round of the year.
I’m worried that by this time next year you’re gonna be better than me
We'll find out. I'm going to start bringing my clubs when I vacation down there. We can do a home and home if you want; play a round at Cherry Point and I'll come down there and play a round wherever you want in Wilmington. :thumb:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:31 am

Oh man, our back nine was played like that yesterday. Two older couples that were never going to leave a single golf ball behind. Impressive score with those mental conditions.
I've gotten to the point where if I can't find a ball within two minutes and there's a group behind us, I'm taking a drop to help speed up play. There's been a plenty of times where I've driven down the middle and slightly over the crest of a hill, only to find that my ball is nowhere to be found.

Is it a proper, by the rulebook thing to do? Probably not, but this isn't the Masters and there isn't going to be any advantage if I drop in a location where I think the ball landed. In most cases, I'm going to at least ask the person sharing the cart will give a "yeah, somewhere around here" type of approval so I'm not just dropping for the sake of a better spot.

Although I will admit if I'm out by myself, those rules might flex a little. :lol:

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:18 pm

I've gotten to the point where if I can't find a ball within two minutes and there's a group behind us, I'm taking a drop to help speed up play. There's been a plenty of times where I've driven down the middle and slightly over the crest of a hill, only to find that my ball is nowhere to be found.

Is it a proper, by the rulebook thing to do? Probably not, but this isn't the Masters and there isn't going to be any advantage if I drop in a location where I think the ball landed. In most cases, I'm going to at least ask the person sharing the cart will give a "yeah, somewhere around here" type of approval so I'm not just dropping for the sake of a better spot.

Although I will admit if I'm out by myself, those rules might flex a little. :lol:
I took two free drops yesterday for balls that I physically saw come down and knew within about a 20 yard radius where they should be. Actually didn't legit lose any balls yesterday, so was frustrated I had to drop, but that's the right move. If you can't find it, just move on.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:34 pm

im playing chartiers valley for the first time next week, pretty excited. also will be the first time ive played in a non scramble in about 2.5 years

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 pm

Chartiers Country Club?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Yep that’s the one lol

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:33 pm

Used my 2nd string gift card to buy a new putter today, went with the most "forgiving" putter according to the internet (Taylor Made Spider). I had 6 three putts yesterday and all but one were because I mishit the first putt leaving them pathetically short.

I think the only inconsistency I am plaguing myself with putt-to-putt is changing the strength of my grip between my right and left hands. I think there should be some difference in that between a 10 ft putt and a long lag putt, but I haven't figured out what that is yet.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:33 pm

Club fitting was fun.
4,665,600 seconds
77,760 minutes
1296 hours
54 days
7 weeks and 5 days
14.79% of 2021

All I ordered was a single crossover driving iron and two wedges. :(

Was hoping to get to play the second half of the season with them. Now I just want to get a round in with them before the year ends.
Supposedly Ping has most of the materials but does not have the labor. Even their customer service line is only open 4 hours a day. It's pandemic time, I get that, but it's pretty frustrating that they're bombing me with marketing for their new irons (i59) and wedge (Glide Forged) when they can't honor their order for a G425 iron and two Glide 3.0 wedges.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Club fitting was fun.
4,665,600 seconds
77,760 minutes
1296 hours
54 days
7 weeks and 5 days
14.79% of 2021

All I ordered was a single crossover driving iron and two wedges. :(

Was hoping to get to play the second half of the season with them. Now I just want to get a round in with them before the year ends.
Supposedly Ping has most of the materials but does not have the labor. Even their customer service line is only open 4 hours a day. It's pandemic time, I get that, but it's pretty frustrating that they're bombing me with marketing for their new irons (i59) and wedge (Glide Forged) when they can't honor their order for a G425 iron and two Glide 3.0 wedges.
We will have 50 degree days in November and December (at least last year we did). October will be a full go temperature wise, but it got wet towards the end of the month. Last November we had a weekend of like sunny and 60 plus. December had a number of legit playable days.

Goes to say, golf season can be longer if you want it to

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:00 pm

Yeah, and I have my indoor range/courses (the only way I'm going to play Oakmont, :lol:) to keep me going through the winter. My last competitive round is 10/24 at Olde Stonewall. I've never played fall golf before since we didn't really have 'fall' in the south. My guess is it will be possible, but hunting for balls under piles of leaves will frustrate me to the point that I won't bother going out; you saw how frustrated I was when I'd 'lose' a ball a few yards off the fairway.

My frustration cropped up because of the marketing I mentioned, but also because my game has improved enough that I can benefit from that driving iron. I didn't feel like I was waiting for them, per se, until I limited myself to 4i and below. If that 2i can reach out to 230+ with some reliability it would give me some fun issues to grow into and work on through these last few months of the season. That's the role I hoped for with that 19h I picked up but it's not working out.

Weird thing is, I talked to my fitter and he said he's still booking as many as 5 fittings a day. The demand side of the equation doesn't seem to be letting up at all. I plan to do my iron fitting in November and just hope they'll arrive by April. If they don't I'm going to be really bummed out. I'm actually thinking about buying a used set of 'new' clubs and just having my fitter adjust them.

My new driver came in today, I am going to benchmark it against the old one tomorrow. Maybe that will pleasantly surprise me and I'll work on getting that back in the bag for the rest of the year instead of sitting and moaning about supply issues.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:29 pm

@dodint this was 10/14 last year. Hopefully the leaves are similar on the 24th this year, it's a beautiful course. Hard as ****. But enjoy it

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:32 pm

@dodint this was 10/14 last year. Hopefully the leaves are similar on the 24th this year, it's a beautiful course. Hard as ****. But enjoy it

That does look great. Maybe I'll play it just with wedges. :lol:

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:34 pm

My frustration cropped up because of the marketing I mentioned, but also because my game has improved enough that I can benefit from that driving iron. I didn't feel like I was waiting for them, per se, until I limited myself to 4i and below. If that 2i can reach out to 230+ with some reliability it would give me some fun issues to grow into and work on through these last few months of the season. That's the role I hoped for with that 19h I picked up but it's not working out.

Weird thing is, I talked to my fitter and he said he's still booking as many as 5 fittings a day. The demand side of the equation doesn't seem to be letting up at all. I plan to do my iron fitting in November and just hope they'll arrive by April. If they don't I'm going to be really bummed out. I'm actually thinking about buying a used set of 'new' clubs and just having my fitter adjust them.

My new driver came in today, I am going to benchmark it against the old one tomorrow. Maybe that will pleasantly surprise me and I'll work on getting that back in the bag for the rest of the year instead of sitting and moaning about supply issues.
My friend wants new irons, he went to golf galaxy last week for a fitting and they said they were just completely out of stock. His brother suggested he just get a standard length set from 2nd swing and get them adjusted as needed.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Yep that’s the one lol
Enjoy. It's a beautiful course. #2 can be a round ruiner. Make sure you hit the green.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Yeah, and I have my indoor range/courses (the only way I'm going to play Oakmont, :lol:) to keep me going through the winter. My last competitive round is 10/24 at Olde Stonewall. I've never played fall golf before since we didn't really have 'fall' in the south. My guess is it will be possible, but hunting for balls under piles of leaves will frustrate me to the point that I won't bother going out; you saw how frustrated I was when I'd 'lose' a ball a few yards off the fairway.
Considering the courses "rake" the course every morning, you are only dealing with leaves that fall during the day you are playing, and basically just the area immediately under the tree. I never really had any issues not finding balls because of too many leaves on the ground. Arguably it can help with not losing balls because you won't have leaves blocking the view to see how the ball comes out of the tree