Everything golf

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:52 pm

I've never had a forecaddie, only regular caddies a few times. Turns out if I have someone telling me exactly what to do, I'm a lot better at golf.

Actually last time was a month or so ago at Laurel Valley. Dude gave me the line and speed on the first two holes and it didn't work. I asked him to do the line only and I would handle the speed, and i was draining everything after that.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Sht you played Laurel Valley? Super jealous. My dad's from Latrobe and that's his bucket list course. Matter of fact we're getting out at Latrobe tomorrow

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Sht you played Laurel Valley? Super jealous. My dad's from Latrobe and that's his bucket list course. Matter of fact we're getting out at Latrobe tomorrow
Its one that never leaves your bucket list. I got a late call on a Tuesday afternoon to play Wednesday. My schedule was ridiculous that wednesday but that was a drop everything invite. Perfect 75 degree day with low humidity. We got there, had lunch, putted and chipped, hit balls at the range, stretched. I was more warmed up than I've ever been and played pretty well for me (shot 89, I'm about a 16 right now but probably a 25 or worse at the beginning of this year). The course is just... classic par 72 golf. We played the 3rd from the back tees which were "only" like 6700 yards. The backs are 7400 i think.

I was in 5 bunkers on the first 4 holes. My caddie joked that the first 5 are free and then its $5 each after that. I gave him a $50 out of my wallet and said "this should cover the front 9". I think I hit into 2 or 3 more the rest of the round. Good juju.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:46 am

That is awesome. Glad you got to experience that. I'm an 11 and I'd be thrilled to shoot in the 80s there I think so that's a pretty sweet round.

Latrobe was a pretty fun yesterday. I shot 83 with like 37 putts. They got a ton of rain Thursday so there were a lot of putts where I'd usually just roll it and let the break take it but you had to putt through the break a lot just to get it to the hole. So it was tough sledding on the greens. We went into the clubhouse after and checked out Arnie's trophy case - so cool. So many pictures around the place of him throughout his life, I'll never stop being impressed by that fella

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:05 pm

I love how all those clubs out there are a shrine to Arnie. What a legend.

Never played latrobe but have heard great things.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm

I played 18 today at one of my favorite public courses here in the ATL suburbs and was very pleased to finish with a putt average of 1.9
we started at 10:00AM today and it was never crazy hot like it had been earlier this week. I just can't imagine how the pros are playing East Lake in the same weather, walking the entire course for 4 days and still playing great. those guys must be truly incredible players.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:06 pm

That will honestly be one of the things I will not miss about vacation lol.

My round at Harbour Town was a high of 94 with a real feel of near 110 due to the humidity. We had a cart but it was cart path only and I spent way more of my round away from it that near it.

I may not sweat the next time I play in 80 degree Pittsburgh weather.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:29 pm

yep, the southeast is bad unless you know what you're doing with your grip. hands will feel like they're being showered

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:50 pm

I actually started rubbing my hand in the grass/dirt before teeing off and that seemed to help tremendously.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:00 am

Gotta roll like Tommy Two Gloves.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:49 pm

Johnson is playing ridiculous golf right now.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:04 pm

one thing I'm loving about fan-less golf right now, curious if @Orlando Penguin agrees, is no drunken morons yelling, "GET IN THE HOLE!"

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:38 pm

I don't miss the fans AT ALL. It's so much easier for us to get around the course without having to dodge idiot fans who don't know how to get out of the way and not having to set up on a green and have someone moan and groan about being there all day and us stepping in front of them. It does suck to not have the cheers when something big happens and it takes away from that type of atmosphere. However, I'm headed to Winged Foot next Sunday and I'll be thrilled to not have to listen to any of those idiot New Yorkers.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:31 pm

Any of you bozos play Saxon this year? My dad and i usually play there once or twice a year. Historically it has been in good shape and probably better than the average Pgh public course. We played today and it was a god damned nightmare. Worst “fairways” I’ve ever played on. Not angry, just completely unexpected

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:53 am

Its one that never leaves your bucket list. I got a late call on a Tuesday afternoon to play Wednesday. My schedule was ridiculous that wednesday but that was a drop everything invite. Perfect 75 degree day with low humidity. We got there, had lunch, putted and chipped, hit balls at the range, stretched. I was more warmed up than I've ever been and played pretty well for me (shot 89, I'm about a 16 right now but probably a 25 or worse at the beginning of this year). The course is just... classic par 72 golf. We played the 3rd from the back tees which were "only" like 6700 yards. The backs are 7400 i think.

I was in 5 bunkers on the first 4 holes. My caddie joked that the first 5 are free and then its $5 each after that. I gave him a $50 out of my wallet and said "this should cover the front 9". I think I hit into 2 or 3 more the rest of the round. Good juju.
ive been invited to play in an outing there three times where you go the night before, have a huge dinner, stay over night and play the next day. it always corresponds with a week we are on our family vacation. the last time i got the invite, i was prepared to fly home early but there was a booking issue and couldnt make it

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:28 am

My summer of reintroducing golf into my life continues, played my first non-schenley round, so that was helpful in getting a better idea of what I can actually do. Still a very easy course, Chippewa, so I shot a 99. front 46 then imploded on the back nine. Probably didn't help that I did all the drinking on the back. I have basically no issues on the tee with my driver, so outside of the par 3's and 2-3 par 4's, I was sitting either (a full) 9 or PW to the green, and I muffed them in one way or another every time, the only pars I got were a short 4 where my second shot was a chip, and par 5 where my third was chip. Schenley, you are so rarely hitting a full iron off anything but the tee, so I at least learned that I had lost all knowledge on how to hit an iron.

So, I watched a youtube video and realized that I was completely ignorant of basically everything irons. Went to the range and revamped the whole swing, I have completely different yardage for each club. The big miss was that I was striking the ball way too flat, like not even cognizant of where the club should be coming down. I also cut some length on my backswing so that I am hitting ball far shorter with each iron than before. I would sum it up, where I don't need to try and blast the 9 iron 150 just because I can, if I just do a controlled 7, it's going to go straight where I'm aiming 75% of the time where the full 9 iron swing is liable to go everywhere, or just nowhere, like for me at Chippewa.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 am

Thoughts on Chippewa? my dad likes playing there because it is cheapish, never in bad shape, and forgiving. its been a while since I played there, but one of the other nice things is that it doesn't have a lot of horsesht holes like many other courses.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:20 am

Thoughts on Chippewa? my dad likes playing there because it is cheapish, never in bad shape, and forgiving. its been a while since I played there, but one of the other nice things is that it doesn't have a lot of horsesht holes like many other courses.
Depends on what one considers a horsesht hole. Right off the bat, there are two holes with extremely elevated greens so you have no clue what you are shooting at. I guess that's the pittsburgh speciality, but If I wanted to deal with that, I'd go play schenley. But actually, I don't think that happens again to any real degree the rest of the course. Plenty of instances where you miss a green by 5 feet and you are bouncing 30 yards off down a hill.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:54 pm

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:22 pm

My summer of reintroducing golf into my life continues, played my first non-schenley round, so that was helpful in getting a better idea of what I can actually do. Still a very easy course, Chippewa, so I shot a 99. front 46 then imploded on the back nine. Probably didn't help that I did all the drinking on the back. I have basically no issues on the tee with my driver, so outside of the par 3's and 2-3 par 4's, I was sitting either (a full) 9 or PW to the green, and I muffed them in one way or another every time, the only pars I got were a short 4 where my second shot was a chip, and par 5 where my third was chip. Schenley, you are so rarely hitting a full iron off anything but the tee, so I at least learned that I had lost all knowledge on how to hit an iron.

So, I watched a youtube video and realized that I was completely ignorant of basically everything irons. Went to the range and revamped the whole swing, I have completely different yardage for each club. The big miss was that I was striking the ball way too flat, like not even cognizant of where the club should be coming down. I also cut some length on my backswing so that I am hitting ball far shorter with each iron than before. I would sum it up, where I don't need to try and blast the 9 iron 150 just because I can, if I just do a controlled 7, it's going to go straight where I'm aiming 75% of the time where the full 9 iron swing is liable to go everywhere, or just nowhere, like for me at Chippewa.
would you mind sharing a link to the video? I'm interested to see it....

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:27 pm

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Those two are good content, as are Rick Shiels's instructional videos.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:35 pm

I made birdie or par on more than half the holes in my round on Thursday and was nowhere close to breaking 80. When I make mistakes, I go big on them. :face:

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:23 pm

Harry Higgs albatross on hole 18 today.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:10 pm

John Daly has bladder cancer.