Everything golf

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:11 pm

That's awesome @willeyeam!

Out of curiosity, what is your garage situation? We have a two car garage that connects to our kitchen; I am pretty fanatical about always wanting to be able to park our cars out there. I would imagine putting a simulator in would eliminate at least one side of the garage?
So I have a one car garage attached which I park in. This is a two car detached garage that doesn't really have any use besides storage. It's just a glorified big shed as far as I've been concerned. Would be a different story if it was more than just me here. My parents store Christmas decorations there and I have my mower and tools and stuff. It'll take up a whole side. There are options to have a retractable screen and netting so you could still park there if needed but I didn't really have to look into that route

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:14 pm

Houses just come with detached garages up there? Might have to move to the country

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:31 pm

best part is it came with a guy renting half of it for $50 a month to store his old Plymouth for the first few years I had the place

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:59 pm

My iron/wedge fitting was a lot of fun. Glad I did all that reading as there were not many surprises thrown at me.
He did my physical measurements and then I hit a hard plate to check my lie angle. Then I swung a Mizuno club with a sensor on it a few times that tracks my swing plane and other metrics. That software recommended a shaft that I had on my list but thought would be too light at 95g, lighter than the lightest of the AWT shaft I talked about. I had already hit the AWT shaft the other day so I had an idea of how it would perform so we hit the recommended shaft.
I know it's indoors, but it was really fun putting up the numbers that I did with the demo 7i setup. Ping G425 head with a True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 stiff shaft. I hit it about 20 times and was routinely flying them out over 200yd with a max of around 210yd on a clubhead speed of 87mph. With my old Ping i3 7i I was only getting about 81mph clubhead speed and the longest fliers were getting out to 170yd.
That distance is stupid and I ultimately ordered the iron set delofted by two degrees so they're closer to my old set. That 7i was going 50 yards past my old 6i of the same loft, so I'll give up some of that yardage and pick up a bit more apex height and dispersion. I'm pretty **** excited.
Everything should be in by February, we'll see.

I ended up requiring 1" longer shafts and a 1 degree upright lie angle (blue dot).

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:18 pm

I wanted to revisit and close this loop:
For you folks that carry gap wedges. Do you treat it as part of the iron set or part of the wedge group?

Put simply: should your full swing gap wedge have the same shaft and grip as your longer irons, or should it share a shaft and grip with your true wedges?
After a lot of consideration and both indoor and outdoor use I decided the following:
Instead of an iron set-matched PW and GW I purchased 46 and 50 specialty wedge heads and had them put on the same grip, shaft, length, and lie specs as the iron set.
Then, I went with a 54 and 58 specialty wedge head that matches the 46 and 50. These have the same grips as the iron set as well, but have wedge flex shafts and no lie adjustment.

The logic is that the 46 and 50 are full swing wedges and should be configured exactly the same as the iron set; except they have heads that are less prone to hot fliers when flushed. The 54 and 58 wedges are stand-alone (but matched to each other) and are to be used for chipping around the green.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:51 pm

So jealous of both of you.

I gotta get off my **** ass and do my fitting.

Dodint where did you go?

Ulf, 5AF winter outing on the new Sim kthx

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:53 pm

Corsi's Indoor Golf in Greensburg. I play in a league there and practice there a good bit.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Postscript: Ping stopped producing the Glide 3.0 in 46 so I am getting a set matched PW anyway.
They also no longer sell the 58/6 either, but my fitter had one in stock so we are going to regrip it to my spec.

I assume right around the time my iron set is delivered Ping will announce the Glide 4.0.

My fitter told me I overthink things; I thanked him for the compliment.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:44 pm

Poor Morikawa. :(

Happy for Hovland though. Very likeable guy, especially for us Ping fanboys.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:54 pm

Poor Morikawa. :(

Happy for Hovland though. Very likeable guy, especially for us Ping fanboys.
11-1 winner for this degenerate, who NEVER bets on an outright winner in golf.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:15 pm

Nice.

Tomas

Everything golf

Postby Tomas » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:29 pm

This just jumped at me in one of the Czech tabloids. Because I noticed there are fans of her on this board, enjoy:

https://isport-blesk-cz.translate.goog/ ... r_hl=en-US

(apparently, the groom is one of the guys caught alongside Robert Kraft in the Florida prostitution case not that long time ago...)

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:04 pm

I am swapping my 20h out for much newer 19h that should gap nicely with the rest of the clubs I want to buy this fall. Being newer (G400 instead of G20) I hope it is more forgiving.
Narrator: It was not.

I never did figure out how to hit that Ping G400 19h. When I would strike it clean it would get out to 230 or so but it was really rare that I could do that. For a while, I kept it in my bag as a greenside chipper from the rough but that's dumb when I have other clubs that can do the same. A few days ago I went to the simulator and checked it (white) against my older Ping G20 17h (red) and new Ping 2i-crossover (yellow).

The target is at 220y and is 30y wide:

Between my 4w, 17h, 2i-crossover, and 4i there just isn't room in my bag for it. I was inventorying my bag and recording what shafts I have and this one is a regular flex. Everything else is stiff flex, so that probably isn't helping either.

I am really interested in the Ben Hogan VKTR+ in 18° but they are direct to consumer and only offer the try-before-you-buy in 22°for that club so I'll have to wait a while to get my hands on one of those.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:30 pm

I find hybrids imposible to hit.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:33 pm

I like the ones shaped like a distended iron head. My G20s are great, and the Hogan has the same form factor. The ones that look like shrunken fairway woods don't work for me at all.

Tomas

Everything golf

Postby Tomas » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:21 pm

This just jumped at me in one of the Czech tabloids. Because I noticed there are fans of her on this board, enjoy:

(apparently, the groom is one of the guys caught alongside Robert Kraft in the Florida prostitution case not that long time ago...)
If looks could kill... :D

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Simulator update. Got the frame up tonight. Gonna get the screen/enclosure attached this weekend with some assistance from my dad. Heater next week but I'm gonna be using it this weekend regardless of temperature out there. As long as I don't have tech issues with the computer and projector this could be done soon

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:28 pm

If looks could kill... :D

Nelly 😍

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:31 pm

Awesome, ulf. I was talking to my indoor golf guy about you. He said that $6500 used setup I told you about is garbage. :lol:

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:37 pm

Lol good thing you didn't impulse buy

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:27 pm

Found out this week that there are two indoor golf simulators in downtown. From what I can find online, both opened within the past year.

OnPar Now, which opened in the Strip District last month: https://onparnow.com/
Five Iron Golf, which is located in 2 PPG Place and opened sometime this summer: https://fiveirongolf.com/pittsburgh/

Unrelated to that, I also took a chance and bought an x-stiff PXG driver last week from 2ndSwingGolf. Golf clubs are like shoes to me, in the sense that I don't like buying them online unless I've tried out something similar beforehand. But I got a good deal on it and wanted to try a x-stiff driver. If I like it, I already have a buyer for my M2 that it would be replacing. If not, I'll sell the PXG and should be able to make my money back.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:33 pm

I've heard five iron is a good time. The other place was supposedly initially geared to women but I'm not sure what that means or if that's still the case

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Five iron was fun, I went last week. It's enormous

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:57 pm

5i was great, it's like a giant adult playground.

These mid-40's days has pushed my golf season at least through early December, and I found my new favorite winter deal, Buffalo Golf course in Saxon. They just leave pull carts out and ask that you drop $10 in the mail slot for 18. Aside from a couple spots that could use some leaf renewal, it's extremely playable. And last week the owner comped a round because he gave us some **** about not-paying, mistaking us for people that weren't paying because we had already actually paid. I guess he felt bad for accusing us, and when we got back to the cars there were rain check coupons on our windshields.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:08 pm

I joined my sim leagues too early I think because I haven't golfed outside in three weeks despite the warm weather. I played 19 holes of sim golf on top of a full hour of practice today, probably could have played a quick 18 outside depending on traffic on course.