Everything golf

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 01, 2022 6:55 pm

93 last Saturday, 81 yesterday. April golf. Chunked like 4 chips in the muck yesterday too. My ego wouldn't let me just run something on and I had to use the 60 even though the bounce was useless on that soft sht

Buddy took me up to Meadville CC. Cool track
What's Ulf hoping to accomplish this golf season?
Great question. Ultimate goal is to get to scratch. I'm 6 now so that's not a 2022 thing. I need to just keep improving what I'm working on with my swing. If I can consistently hit up on my driver vs a negative angle of attack I'm going to add 20 yards and make life easier. I forgot my putter last weekend so it's really all up from here. I'd like to get a round under par this year, that would be cool.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun May 01, 2022 7:02 pm

98 the hard way yesterday. 56-42... lol

Nothing changed. I just went from being unable to golf to able to golf.

Inexplicable. May have considered just going home after 9 but I parred it (and still somehow had 52 strokes on the other 8 holes...)

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm

Great question. Ultimate goal is to get to scratch. I'm 6 now so that's not a 2022 thing. I need to just keep improving what I'm working on with my swing. If I can consistently hit up on my driver vs a negative angle of attack I'm going to add 20 yards and make life easier. I forgot my putter last weekend so it's really all up from here. I'd like to get a round under par this year, that would be cool.
Easier, but can't imagine your distance off the tee being an issue for your score.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun May 01, 2022 7:07 pm

Just carry a 1-iron. Easy.
I do have this old Mizuno 2-iron blade that I've been hitting pretty frequently. Hitting that club pure is quite the quick dopamine rush.
The one you got for $20 recently? Neat.

It might sound dumb but I have been looking at getting a blade 6 iron in my specs, as a practice aide. I figure it would give some good feedback.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 01, 2022 7:09 pm

I do have this old Mizuno 2-iron blade that I've been hitting pretty frequently. Hitting that club pure is quite the quick dopamine rush.

It might sound dumb but I have been looking at getting a blade 6 iron in my specs, as a practice aide. I figure it would give some good feedback.
:thumb:

That's the one. My irons are new, but would like for when I am buying new irons, that I am getting blades.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun May 01, 2022 7:11 pm

Shifts the risk reward slider around for sure.

Mizuno blades are sexy but I have no business even looking at them. Corsi's has a used set on the rack.
Last edited by dodint on Sun May 01, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun May 01, 2022 7:11 pm

A little more insight, I went double triple quad (6, 7, 9) and basically couldn't hit the ball in the air nor putt. Then made an OK 2-putt bogey after a ground ball drive.

Then on #5 I hit a nice first two shots and had like 97 into the green... hit it exactly 97 but the cart path was literally 15 feet from the pin and I left it 15 feet right. Several cart path bounces and down a hill into the trees easily 70 yards past the green with no way out other than punching through lile 30 trees. Ended up with a 10!

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun May 01, 2022 7:13 pm

20 yards off the tee would have fixed you, KC.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 01, 2022 7:15 pm

Easier, but can't imagine your distance off the tee being an issue for your score.
Yes and no, but I guess that brings up a good point. I'm playing further tees now. I guess maybe a good goal would be to figure out my scoring average last year and try to hit that this year from back tees. If I can play 450+ par 4s and have low irons vs 5-6 irons in, that will help in that regard. This is why I love it though, I'll never actually be satisfied :lol:

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 01, 2022 7:23 pm

Yes and no, but I guess that brings up a good point. I'm playing further tees now. I guess maybe a good goal would be to figure out my scoring average last year and try to hit that this year from back tees. If I can play 450+ par 4s and have low irons vs 5-6 irons in, that will help in that regard. This is why I love it though, I'll never actually be satisfied :lol:
Touche, I have concluded that I am staying on the white tees till i shoot par. But I don't think i've played a par 4 longer than 430. There is a massive difference between a 200 and 170 yard approach shot.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 02, 2022 9:50 am

Too true. At 200 I'm hoping I don't find a green side bunker. At 170 I'm expecting to be on the green.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Mon May 02, 2022 10:23 am

I'm good with my 6 iron down. My 5 iron is 50/50. Either I hit it offcenter and it goes 130-140 or I hit it 190-200.

I picked up a Taylormade 4 iron dirt cheap and I've had no luck with it. It doesn't help that the feel of the club is so different than everything else in the bag, but I think the number of times that I've got a good ball from that 4i is probably less than a handful.

I've always wanted to carry a longer iron in my bag, but if I can't hit a 4 then I'd be wasting my time with a 2 or even a 3.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon May 02, 2022 10:24 am

Every time I've considered throwing in a 4 hybrid to replace the 4i, I start hitting the 4i pure for like 3 shots. Always gives me false hope that I've finally cracked the code until the rug gets pulled out.

Very frustrating.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon May 02, 2022 10:31 am

I'm good with my 6 iron down. My 5 iron is 50/50. Either I hit it offcenter and it goes 130-140 or I hit it 190-200.

I picked up a Taylormade 4 iron dirt cheap and I've had no luck with it. It doesn't help that the feel of the club is so different than everything else in the bag, but I think the number of times that I've got a good ball from that 4i is probably less than a handful.

I've always wanted to carry a longer iron in my bag, but if I can't hit a 4 then I'd be wasting my time with a 2 or even a 3.
My 2i crossover is like this for me. I want it to be an effective club so badly but I don't even take it to the course. And it's a game improvement larger head size, not even a set matched club. It's really neat when it works but usually I chunk it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 02, 2022 11:26 am

when I’m in the UK I want to play at least one round of golf but ideally as much as possible. I looked into ship sticks for international travel…$230 one way

yep, I’ll be renting clubs. Or maybe bringing my clubs on my own flight

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Everything golf

Postby meow » Mon May 02, 2022 11:29 am

93 last Saturday, 81 yesterday. April golf. Chunked like 4 chips in the muck yesterday too. My ego wouldn't let me just run something on and I had to use the 60 even though the bounce was useless on that soft sht

Your boy meow has his wedding reception there

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon May 02, 2022 11:32 am

when I’m in the UK I want to play at least one round of golf but ideally as much as possible. I looked into ship sticks for international travel…$230 one way

yep, I’ll be renting clubs. Or maybe bringing my clubs on my own flight

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 02, 2022 11:47 am

Your boy meow has his wedding reception there
is mrs meow from the area

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon May 02, 2022 8:22 pm

Made my first birdie since returning to golf, pretty cool.

My driver swing finally made it to the course. It isn't long, but it's workable. I can add speed later. Was fun to just hit it with no trepidation.

The U

Everything golf

Postby The U » Wed May 04, 2022 10:34 pm

My chipping and pitching are keeping me from scoring better. I have a new putter that has really helped me avoid 3 putts. Driver is good, irons are good. My issue is that from inside 120 yards I’m not landing the ball close enough to the hole to give myself realistic birdie putts. Its always a long lag putt and finish in for par. I’m thinning, fatting, skulling, then I’ll have a nice one. Just no consistency. Trying SW, PW, 8i, 60 degree. This part of my game is so off right now it’s taking away from the rest of my game.

I’ve hit the range a lot over the past two weeks to figure this out but seems to be regressing actually. Probably need a lesson because I can’t seem to get better on my own no matter how many videos I watch and what I try on range.

Grabbing a wedge and using a putting motion with stiff arms is the closest I get to figuring it out just well enough for it not to be a complete disaster. But still…I’m putting with a hybrid from tight lies like 20 yards off the green. Just doing whatever I can to avoid having to really chip it. Got the yips.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed May 04, 2022 10:47 pm

38 at Clover Hill tonight. Getting there, but 3 out of 4 par 3 tee shots were dead chunks that went maybe 50 yards. Hard to score when you need to chip 2 up to the green.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 04, 2022 11:02 pm

My issue is that from inside 120 yards I’m not landing the ball close enough to the hole to give myself realistic birdie putts.
I have a similar issue but honestly I’m not terribly worried about it. I’m still at the point where I’m trying to iron out all the bad shots. I figure it’s not worth worrying about “skillful” shots until I can remove the “what the ****” shots

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu May 05, 2022 8:27 am

My chipping and pitching are keeping me from scoring better. I have a new putter that has really helped me avoid 3 putts. Driver is good, irons are good. My issue is that from inside 120 yards I’m not landing the ball close enough to the hole to give myself realistic birdie putts. Its always a long lag putt and finish in for par. I’m thinning, fatting, skulling, then I’ll have a nice one. Just no consistency. Trying SW, PW, 8i, 60 degree. This part of my game is so off right now it’s taking away from the rest of my game.

I’ve hit the range a lot over the past two weeks to figure this out but seems to be regressing actually. Probably need a lesson because I can’t seem to get better on my own no matter how many videos I watch and what I try on range.

Grabbing a wedge and using a putting motion with stiff arms is the closest I get to figuring it out just well enough for it not to be a complete disaster. But still…I’m putting with a hybrid from tight lies like 20 yards off the green. Just doing whatever I can to avoid having to really chip it. Got the yips.
What is your miss?

120 and in is a wide spread. At least for me, for me 120 - 75 are all comfortable full swings with PW-54, but that 75-40 range is a bit tough for me. Right now I have an old 56 that was a hand me down back in like 1999 and a 60. I just have to completely take the 60 out of my bag, as there are no shots that I can hit with it. I should probably just get a 58 to split the difference, from 40 in, if i need to get the ball in air, i just use the 54, and for other distances, i have been trying to do pitch shots with other irons, but I still am not certain on what the distances are for those clubs.

I've had problem with these ~touch shots recently, where I keep shanking the ball off the hosel. Not sure if that's your mishit, but it's mostly been a matter of strengthening my grip with the left hand, use the bounce, and make sure you are coming through to not chunk.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu May 05, 2022 8:34 am

I'm straight pulling everything within 110 yards. It's consistent enough that I'm starting to think it's an alignment issue. Coach says it's another symptom of my lack of weight transfer. It's annoying because the pull is a pure strike so I miss a few degrees left and also about 10 yards long.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu May 05, 2022 8:37 am

Yeah, probably your upper body moving ahead of the lower half.