Everything golf

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 am

I feel even worse for the player knowing it's a local caddy he likely only met 3 hours prior. You've been grinding your whole life for this only to have it completely **** up by a dude you literally just met.
Agreed. Just brutal.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Golfers - playing a little two man tourney at Ballyhack in VA in two weeks. Says caddies are provided but tips aren't. What's a standard caddy tip? I did this once before and know it's higher than what you might think but I don't really remember. Not sure if it's a forecaddy for the both of us or if we're getting legit caddies

grunthy

Everything golf

Postby grunthy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 am

Golfers - playing a little two man tourney at Ballyhack in VA in two weeks. Says caddies are provided but tips aren't. What's a standard caddy tip? I did this once before and know it's higher than what you might think but I don't really remember. Not sure if it's a forecaddy for the both of us or if we're getting legit caddies
How much is it to play in the tournament?

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:52 pm

There's a whole bunch of stuff included. It's an event put on by the golfers journal.. let's say the round and tourney portion of the fee is $200. As far as I know a caddy might be $100 for a round and I think they get tipped like $50 but really unsure and don't want to be ignorant on it

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:56 pm

Decided to pick golf back up again after 20 years. Being in the city, the only course I know that's close is Schenley and I went there the other night, it feels like I'm playing a par 3, but that you can use your driver sometimes. Seems fine as a spot to get my feet wet again, but as I've gone so long from playing, and don't know any request golfers, are there groups or communities you can join to find playing partners/opportunities?

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 pm

US Am final all square going into the 36th. Man

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:47 pm

Decided to pick golf back up again after 20 years. Being in the city, the only course I know that's close is Schenley and I went there the other night, it feels like I'm playing a par 3, but that you can use your driver sometimes. Seems fine as a spot to get my feet wet again, but as I've gone so long from playing, and don't know any request golfers, are there groups or communities you can join to find playing partners/opportunities?
nothing I can think of in terms of a community but what I would recommend is setting up tee times and asking the pro shop or whoever is actually helping sign you up for the tee time if there are any times that only have 2/4 or 3/4 slots filled. That way you’ll get grouped with others who you know golf

Not everyone you meet will be worth it but it’s a good opportunity

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:13 am

nothing I can think of in terms of a community but what I would recommend is setting up tee times and asking the pro shop or whoever is actually helping sign you up for the tee time if there are any times that only have 2/4 or 3/4 slots filled. That way you’ll get grouped with others who you know golf

Not everyone you meet will be worth it but it’s a good opportunity
That makes sense. danka.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:37 am

oh lord I could talk for days about golfing Schenley.

the anarchy at scheneley is a blessing and a curse. I know back in the day that they didn't take tee times and I don't see why they would start having tee times now. the good part about that is that youll have plenty of opportunities to pair up with randos. I played with really good golfers, really bad golfers, students, old guys, gamblers, jews, blacks, Asians, whatever. if you play there enough you are bound to meet people. people just show up ins 1s and 2s all the time, so don't hesitate to just show up on your own and enjoy the weirdness.

the anarchy can also be a problem though because groups basically play the course however the eff they want to play it. I once had to explain to a Chinese grad student what a jagoff was after a group basically skipped the 4th and 5th hole and moved straight to the 6th. we were on the 5th hole at the time and the other group cut in front and slowed us down the rest of the way.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:39 am

oh lord I could talk for days about golfing Schenley.

the anarchy at scheneley is a blessing and a curse. I know back in the day that they didn't take tee times and I don't see why they would start having tee times now. the good part about that is that youll have plenty of opportunities to pair up with randos. I played with really good golfers, really bad golfers, students, old guys, gamblers, jews, blacks, Asians, whatever. if you play there enough you are bound to meet people. people just show up ins 1s and 2s all the time, so don't hesitate to just show up on your own and enjoy the weirdness.

the anarchy can also be a problem though because groups basically play the course however the eff they want to play it. I once had to explain to a Chinese grad student what a jagoff was after a group basically skipped the 4th and 5th hole and moved straight to the 6th. we were on the 5th hole at the time and the other group cut in front and slowed us down the rest of the way.
Also seems like people just wander on and start playing without bothering to pay.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:45 am

Any course dissected by that many roads will have many points of ingress

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:58 am

US Am final all square going into the 36th. Man
Strafaci was 5 down after 12 holes...that takes some serious mental fortitude to overcome such a disastrous start.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:37 pm

I was down three to my wife and halved the match by taking three of the last four.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:13 pm

played the moon open this weekend.

Good:
Well organized. Everything seemed to move smoothly the entire time. No groups hitting into us from parallel fairways, but the jerks behind us had no problem teeing up a little early. To be fair, we knew those jerks and really weren't that close to us.
Missed a hole in one by about 10 feet on 14. Slightly off the green but probably one of the better shots I've had on that hole.
Played scratch golf over a stretch of 6 holes on the second day. (bird/par/par/bogey/par/par). Now if I could be consistent enough to do that over 18 holes or even in a quick 9.

Well, that's it for the good.

Bad:
I came out terrible on both days: 6/8/7 on day one on the front; 5/7/9 on day two on the back. Lost balls in two different trees in the same hole (#2) and went double OB off #12, which had me teeing off with what was my par shot. If you start your day with a 21, you're gonna have a bad time.
Day one I finished my back 9 with a 47. This wouldn't be too bad normally except that I left two putts less than a ball width short, lipped two more, and had another that hit the stick and bounced to the side. I thought the latter would have counted because of Rona Rules, but they didn't give it to me. So yeah my 47 could have easily been a 42.

Somewhere in between:
I may have finally figured out what my issue with my driver is. Short version of it is I changed where I am lining up on the ball where the ball is about an inch or two more forward than where I usually place it.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:04 pm

What's 6/8/7

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:30 pm

His scores. 21 strokes over three holes. At least +8

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Lol I read that so wrong. I guess I ignored the "I came out terrible both days" part haha.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:19 am

Yep, +8.

The other was a double, triple, and a quad.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 am

Yep, +8.

The other was a double, triple, and a quad.
So what club did you hit the 3rd time off the tee on #12?

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:55 pm

This is how I fell in love with golf as a kid. Early mornings, or late evenings. Beautiful views and nature sounds.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Evening rounds are the best. I just get depressed here pretty soon when my evening 18 that I can get in at 6 turns into an evening 9, and eventually it's dark at 6. But until then..

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:04 pm

Evening rounds are the best. I just get depressed here pretty soon when my evening 18 that I can get in at 6 turns into an evening 9, and eventually it's dark at 6. But until then..
I am definitely more of a fan of sunrise rounds... I like being off the course and on with my day by lunchtime. Of course, that comes with higher prices, dew (or frost), etc.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:06 pm

I am definitely more of a fan of sunrise rounds... I like being off the course and on with my day by lunchtime. Of course, that comes with higher prices, dew (or frost), etc.
Weekend morning rounds are also great. I played Saturday at 7:18 and finished around 11. Such a good feeling knowing you have the entire day ahead of you. Definitely my preference on the weekends but I love evenings during the week. Best part of the morning round is the off chance of playing well and being in a great mood all day :lol:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:47 pm

My all time favorite post work round was 1 hr 15 minutes walking 9 holes. Was a beauty.