Everything golf

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 pm

how closely are you watching him play or are you just looking at the scores
His putting is significantly better. The biggest issue with him is that while he is carding a ton of birdies, he's also making a bunch of mistakes that's preventing him from scoring lower. He's been all over the place. Are you arguing that he hasn't progressed since 2015 or so? I'm not saying he's going to win the Open :lol:

I just said that he's contended at Carnoustie and he seems to be back to 100% health-wise.
i guess i misinterpreted your 100% comment. to me tiger at 100% is contending in every major. i guess we are arguing over semantics of health 100% and tiger 100%.

his putting being 'better' isnt exactly true, while its 'better' than the 'in between' years, it is still terribly bad compared to tiger being tiger.

his strokes gained off the tee and strokes gained putting are so bad compared to pre-meltdown its hard for me to say he is back 100%. its better than the no-mans-land tiger but still bad

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:01 pm

He putted very well last weekend but I wouldn't say he is putting well yet. If he can replicate that at Carnoustie he'll be okay. Just needs to eliminate the real bad shots that are killing his momentum lately

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Agreed LITT. Not close to old Tiger, but I wonder how much of that is age. Even Nicklaus only won one major after he turned 41 (two in one year when he turned 40 though)

Silentom

Everything golf

Postby Silentom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 pm

That's a bold face lie.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Everything golf

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 pm

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 pm

count me as being pretty pumped about the new schedule. Really starting with Torrey Pines you have 7 solid months. I just wish they'd do away with the Fall portion and give them an offseason, but I understand that's still a pretty good time for the new guys coming up from the Web tour

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Everything golf

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

I like the idea, but August in Memphis is brutal.

Also kills the Valspar and Byron Nelson fields.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 am

I like the idea, but August in Memphis is brutal.

Also kills the Valspar and Byron Nelson fields.
followed by late August here in ATL for the Tour Championship. better teach those guys how to hydrate properly. that time of year we're lucky if the overnight low is in the 70's. :scared:

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 am

it was probably hot as hell for the tournament in September too

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 am

Haven’t seen this mentioned but I really hope this Phil/Tiger showdown hapoens

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am

Amen. Forget where I read it, but an article mentioned it would be fun to have a little undercard too.. Reed/McIlroy (though Rory wouldn't agree to being the undercard most likely, so maybe Poults instead), legends match like Norman vs Faldo, top 2 amateurs, Sergio vs Rose, maybe a JT vs Wie or something like that.. Would be fun to have some other matches mixed in, in case the Tiger/Phil one gets lopsided

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Played 9 at Clover Hill to warm up for wherever I play 18 on Friday. Shot a 37. My putting, though I averaged 1.9 per hole thanks to 3 good chips and 1-putts, was pretty bad. Missed a few birdie opportunities either short or by pushing it. Also had two 3-putts that I wish I had back.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm

it was probably hot as hell for the tournament in September too
not as bad though. August you are practically guaranteed highs in the mid 90's, high humidity and afternoon thunderstorms. in late September (as it has traditionally been) you're getting highs in the mid 80's and much lower humidity.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:16 pm

I have very fond memories of the Monday Night Golf series from the early 2000s. The Battle at the Bridges was fun as hell to watch, and the 2004 iteration with Mickelson/Daly vs. Woods/Kuehne. I remember I thought it looked so cool when they finished under lights. I also remember Daly chain smoking the entire time :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Played 9 at Clover Hill to warm up for wherever I play 18 on Friday. Shot a 37. My putting, though I averaged 1.9 per hole thanks to 3 good chips and 1-putts, was pretty bad. Missed a few birdie opportunities either short or by pushing it. Also had two 3-putts that I wish I had back.
Love Clover Hill as a warmup course. Meant to respond to your course suggestion post but never got around to it. Based on playing Clover Hill I assume you live in that general area? Regardless, to add to your list:

- Strawberry Ridge in Harmony/Zelienople area is honestly one of my favorite "local" courses. Well maintained greens, good mix of open and tight fairways, accessible Par 3's, a great driving range (that also results in about a million free balls on the first hole), some water hazards, and isn't bullshitily overpriced like Conley.

- Suncrest is like right next to Conley. Cheaper than Conley, nicely maintained, don't believe there is a sand trap on the entire course, Par 3's are bullshit distances.

- Quicksilver Golf Club. A great, excellently maintained course that will steal your soul and dignity and never give either back. The greens are tough and from the white tees the course is over 6500 yards long. Par 3's are an accessible length but both Par 5's on the front 9 are over 550 yards, one of which is uphill, and if you're not in good position off the tee you are ****. ****.

- Hickory Heights Golf Club in Bridgeville. Have only played in outings here. It's a nice, well maintained, fairly difficult course. A couple of long Par 3's, difficult layouts on other holes, and can get some tough pin positions. I enjoy playing there.

- South Park Country Club Golf Course. It's not very well maintained come late summer, every putt seems like it's straight, between absentee rangers and old people the pace of play is terrible, and the rough is not much longer than the fairway, but it's home and I love it. Decently long for an older course, good mix of accessible and long Par 3's, some challenging dog legs, and lots of elevation changes.

-Scenic Vally in Peters Township. Haven't played there in a while, but it's typically a well maintained, challenging course. Water comes into play on multiple holes which is always fun.

-Lindenwood Golf Club in Canonsburg. Three 9 hole courses (plus an executive course) that you combine for your round of 18. Beautiful, well maintained course. Playing from the white tees gives you a short 18 at less than 6,000 yards. I like playing here, find it to be a comparatively easy and enjoyable 18 holes, but it's not cheap.

-Butler's Golf Course in Elizabeth. Two courses here but I've only ever played the Woodside course. Not as well maintained as it used to be, but it's still a nice course. Fairways are pretty tight so if you like to spray your tee shots all over the course, good luck.

As far as courses that I hate, Conley can go **** itself. Overpriced. The first three holes of the back 9 look like they finished the course then realized they only put in 15 holes, so they crammed in a hole with a 5 foot wide fairway and then threw in back to back 90 degree dog legs. Then the entire nightmare ends with a 180 yard Par 3 that has water on three sides, a sand trap on the other side, and a green that slopes toward the water. **** YOU CONLEY. **** YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY AND YOUR "RESORT".

LITT

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:42 pm

all i remember about strawberry ridge is that stupid 90 degree turn on the first hole 60 yards fro the green

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 pm

hickory heights effing sucks

lindenwood is good
butlers is good

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm

I checked available tee times. Ended up just getting one at Pittsburgh National. $32 for 18 was too good to pass up. Had checked Strawberry but their latest was like 8 AM. Too damn early. But thanks for the suggestions, those will have to be future plays.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:41 pm

I like Pittsburgh National. Can usually find a good deal there.

LITT

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 pm

If you going during peak times pgh National turns in to a 5.5 hour round

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:43 am

I would like to make a glowing recommendation of Callaway's HX green practice balls. You can buy them just about anywhere...my biggest beef with practice golf balls normally is that they are cheaply made and don't accurately reflect what your real ball flight would be, but these have are well-made and you can actually get an idea of where the real golf ball would go. We have a pretty big yard so I'll hit a few from one end of the yard to the other.

genoscoif

Everything golf

Postby genoscoif » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:02 am

As far as courses that I hate, Conley can go **** itself. Overpriced. The first three holes of the back 9 look like they finished the course then realized they only put in 15 holes, so they crammed in a hole with a 5 foot wide fairway and then threw in back to back 90 degree dog legs. Then the entire nightmare ends with a 180 yard Par 3 that has water on three sides, a sand trap on the other side, and a green that slopes toward the water. **** YOU CONLEY. **** YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY AND YOUR "RESORT".
Lol...my dad and I are playing Conley's tomorrow. Rents are in town for the week, and he picked there. I've only played it once, and just remember it being really well maintained... quirky but well maintained. Is a bit overpriced though.

LITT

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 pm

my best round ever was at conleys. it will always hold a special place in my heart, but really is an overpriced abomination as of late. after their fire, they were charging 100/round

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Shot a 92. Had my first birdies of the year on 1 and 10. Hit a 300 yard drive and put an 8 iron to about 15 feet on 10. Just missed the eagle putt about 8 inches to the right of the hole. Couple pars, couple holes I want back, that's golf.

Round only took about 3.5 hours. Had to wait every now and then but the group in front moved well.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Missed a 5 footer on 18 today for my first 79. Gonna be pretty pissed about that for a while