Everything golf

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:40 pm

I’ll play a round at Stonewall on PGA Tour 2K21 and give you a recon report.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:43 pm

I just wrote my shot plan and there is nothing over 165 in it. I think I'm going to literally leave my driver at home. With it being cold and raining and the last competition of the year I'm just going to play within myself and not even try to shoot below 99.
I don't think I'm going to keep a running score, either. Just total it up at the end and see what happens.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:58 pm

I jam to golf cart classics on Spotify. Good classic rock vibes
Only one out here today. Vibin to the classics

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:21 pm

I’m inconsistently good… yes. I had 4 birdies and shot an 84. :lol:

It’s my pandora station that I’ve self curated. Mostly fall out boy, panic at the disco, coheed and Cambria, jimmy eat world, some incubus and others thrown in.
Did you play a lot as a kid? Didn't you work at Bedford Springs, free rounds there?
I started playing in high school... probably 5-10 rounds a year. I don't think I shot a single round under 100 until I was teaching high school. Summers off meant lots of golf. That's really when I became a bit more consistent. I then went to grad school (no time for golf) and got a job and had a kid (more no time for golf). So I'd say I played a good 5-7 years or so, took about 5 years off, and am trying to get back to playing more.
I think for golf you need that period where you play a lot. Not sure how long, but that allows you to pick the game back up.

Bedford springs should just allow the locals to play some rounds for free to cope with having to live in Bedford. :slug:
Agreed on both counts.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:26 pm

this weekend was a blast. Shot a 91 at Farmstead Friday (parred the 767 yard par 6, apparently the sixth longest hole in the country), 87 at Grand Dunes (stunningly beautiful course) and 87 at Pine Lakes (nice course but not in tremendous shape). The last round should’ve been sub-85 but I had one awful, awful triple bogey where I kept shanking chips

The Saturday drunken par 3 was a blast too. We ubered to the course only bringing one club and a putter each (I brought my 50 degree). The course had some putters for you could borrow and there were these hilarious bumblebee putters intended for children. I grabbed one and played with it. We played a game where if someone made a birdie putt with the bumblebee putter then everyone else had to take a shot of the whiskey we were downing on the course. The course was very relaxed too (they have speakers and were playing music and have lights for night time golf).

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:37 pm

767 par 6.. just thinking out loud if I hit good shots..

280 drive
230 hybrid
230 hybrid

Still leaves a pitch and a putt for bird. And that's three pure shots to get there. That's nuts lol. Good 6

Also par 3 courses are awesome and the world needs more of them

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:19 pm

Jesus 767. I might hit 3 hybrids and a wedge.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:32 pm

From the whites it’s 679. Got pin high but behind some knee high bushes on my third shot (driver, 3 hybrid, 3 hybrid). Chipped on for a GIR but left my birdie putt short by a foot or so

It’s a huge dogleg left with water hanging the entire left side. Sort of like Pebble’s 18th or Sawgrass’. My friend who I was carting with had to take 3 drops including trying to cut the corner (he’s a little better than me)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:36 pm

Starts in South Carolina and ends in North Carolina

sadly the owner sold it this year to a real estate development company. They’re gonna turn it into a housing development. Genuinely depressing

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:37 pm

Oh and a bunker short of the green in case you decided to think about going for it and running something on. Very generous

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 pm

How high/rich was the 10 year old that designed Olde Stonewall?

I am not even mad, just confused. Disoriented. Like a child given baker's chocolate.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 pm

I am not even mad, just confused. Disoriented. Like a child given baker's chocolate.
The story has it that it was an upset connoquenessing member from across the street that had a ton of money and built it as an F U to his old club.

So.. how'd it go?

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 am

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 pm

The story has it that it was an upset connoquenessing member from across the street that had a ton of money and built it as an F U to his old club.

So.. how'd it go?
When I pulled up and also while milling around on the range and warm-up green it all felt very silly. It's a really high-quality well-done execution of an absurd motif. Nothing wrong with that but it's just perplexing as to why it exists. It gives the impression of being a full-scale mini-golf facility. Everything is top-notch; just, weird.

Once on course, things were pretty nice. I like terrain courses that embrace the land they're built on, and I think this course takes that to the extreme. Both in hole design and also in the quality of the cart path, bridges, stone retaining walls, etc. The one part that didn't really work well was having the power lines (I assume) strung on that series of large towers right between two holes. The towers are about 80 yards apart and really large so I assume they're on purpose, I dunno. Most of the hole layouts were fine. Again, aggressively designed but if you just want to embrace it that can be a lot of fun. Hole 16, where you're basically hitting off a cliff onto a wide fairway landing area only to have to hit over another gorge again is a strong example of that.

The only hole that pissed me off outright was Hole 6. The water was fine, not a factor for me. But putting a 50-yard wide red-stake hazard full of gnarly high grass inside of 120 yards approach to the green is a real ****-ass design and honestly, they can go **** themselves. I hit into it, dropped back, hit into it again, then picked up for the hole.

I would play it again, with VGA or if you guys wanted to go. But I won't seek it out and drive up there on my own for no reason. It's a fun alternative to my normal golf is the best way I can state it.

I shot a 115; 60/55. Not mad. It rained on us starting around Hole 8 and got progressively worse as the day went, and I doubt the temp got over 60F. One of my guys who normally shoots in the low 90s carded a 105. The other guy shot a 96 and is normally playing in the 80s.
I started off really poorly though, with a 10. Lost a ball off of teebox 1 and teebox 2, which is crazy since in both cases it was simply high grass and not what you would think of as an obstacle to lose balls in.
I did hit some really beauty shots of that I'm proud of and will remember for a while. I also failed to get out of the teebox twice. I've very aggressively topping the ball. I had a 9i shot from the fairway; I topped it so badly that it went down. Like, towards the center of the earth, I plugged it in place.

Once I get that part of my swing stable I think my scores will plummet. When I make correct contact the ball goes the distance it is supposed to and has a nice fade to it. There is a good golfer in me. But with my tops and fats I'm adding 15-25 strokes per round. I need to fix that and then start working on distance. I am embracing the progression, the game will come to me so long as I keep working. My scoring average fell from 127 to 107 over the year, I'm proud of that. I took 33 strokes off my worst round (127) to my best round (94) of the year; hugely proud of that.

I'll get out once or twice at Glengarry or Totteridge before the year is over. But I'm turning to my indoor league as my focus. And of course, my swing improvement. Looking forward to doing my iron fitting in a month or so; they'll end up being delivered in February. Then I'll be set for next year. Looking to join a Golf/Country Club, most likely Latrobe or Hannastown. Totteridge doesn't have primary memberships anymore.

I had a lot of fun playing with you folks this year; hopefully we can do it again in the future. I plan to take my clubs down to NC in the spring, too, so I can add MiMH to the list of 5AF'ers who have endured a round with me if he's game.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 pm

I still have yet to play Stonewall in a non-scramble format. Unsure if I'd change that.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:35 pm

It actually fits my game pretty well because I play everything short. It's all about shot selection and lay-ups for me. If I played it with a consistent swing where I only had 3-5 tops/fats instead of 15-25 I'd do very, very well.
I left my driver at the house and didn't feel like I missed it once. The guys I were playing with used theirs and were often either played it short where I was anyway (with my 5h) or were in trouble that I couldn't reach. I never once hit a fairway bunker, for instance.
Obviously that's not true of every course; but at that course in those conditions, I hung with them when I made solid contact.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:39 pm

what kind of lame event does a scramble at stonewall

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:41 pm

Glad you didn't leave stonewall wanting to quit golf as that place can have that effect @dodint. Good playing with you this year and keep at it over the winter. Simulator is a good place to try and get comfortable with the driver

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks.

Stonewall was fine. Fort Cherry made me want to quit life...

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Lol

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 pm

When do you hinge your wrists in the backswing? Generally I start my takeaway and don't move anything. Then when the club finds the top of the swing I hinge the wrists right as I transfer from backswing to downswing. Was reviewing some different coaches thoughts on it last night and I'm thinking I maybe should have them hinged earlier in the takeaway and then keep everything fairly static for the downswing. I don't really understand how that creates any leverage, though. I thought the hinge was to give the club head speed for the trip back down.

This video by Danny Maude was really clear:

I'm not generally one to trawl Youtube for swing tips, but I had a specific confusion about wrist hinging and really loved his presentation. His idea about the left arm applying downward force to raise the club during the takeaway feels really good, at least in practice swings. Going to work on it in the simulator tomorrow.

Somewhat related, but I feel like of bad for my swing coach. I retain about three minutes worth of useful information for every hour that we spend together. Then like two months later I'll watch a random Rick Shiels video that covers the exact same concept and it clicks for me. That's what sent me down this path last night; Rick did a video about weight transfer that was identical to what my real swing coach was trying to tell me. :lol:

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:24 am

Pauline going back DEEP into the archives today

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:03 am

Related hahaha

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:05 am

@dodint

The hitch is in the backswing, i am pretty sure that's where you square the club face.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:30 am

Yeah. I think I'm fundamentally misunderstanding my own problem and not expressing it correctly. Danny's video is good and shows what I need to be doing so I'm going to try and work on that skill.
But what I was asking was a different move, I think. What I have been doing is starting my takeaway and getting the club to its highest point using arm action. Once it comes to its natural stop point, I break the wrists which brings the club to parallel, I can see the club head out of my left eye. Then when I downswing body geometry and physics bring the clubhead back to square right before the strike. This wrist break gives a bit more momentum coming down. I think I maybe need to stop doing that. Less fussy movement is probably more consistent.

To illustrate; I'm getting to the point of the guy in the middle and then breaking my wrists to drop the club to level with the ground. Kind of like a reverse casting. I thought that was what wrist hinging was but Danny is illustrating something completely different. I did ask my own swing coach about this, and he said it was okay, but I'm wondering now if that was a miscommunication.