Everything golf

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:08 pm

Ended up going with a 4w, 20°h, and 27°h. Thanks again.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:25 pm

In my venture back into golf, the woods are giving me the most difficulty. I took them out of the bag entirely until recently, and like Ulf was saying about the 5 vs 3, I'll keep the 5, and ditch the 3 again. Off the ground, I'm still uneasy, but it's been reliable off the tee. I got it to draw as planned on a short par 4 dogleg this afternoon.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:59 pm

I play a 4 wood, 3 hybrid, and no 4 hybrid at all. For a long time i didnt have the 4 wood, just a driver, 3 hybrid, and nothing else until a 5 hybrid. My line of thinking was that for most longer shots, I’m not good enough to have a consistent distance to waste time thinking about what club to use. Same thing with non-driver driving holes. Why piss around and cloud your head deciding between a 3 wood 5 wood 3 hybrid when you only have one club in the bag (3 hybrid). When you have only one club like that, you have no choice to but to love it. Golfers spend enough time messing with themselves mentally, so i just took one decision out of the equation.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:33 pm

I want to hit a driving iron one of these days to see how it feels. Some of the new ones look pretty good

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:05 am

Ended up going with a 4w, 20°h, and 27°h. Thanks again.
I like the 4W call. I'd probably do another wedge before a 27 hybrid though.

I currently run D, 15 degree 3w, 18 hybrid, 3I-9I, pW, 52, 56.

I will probably replace the 3 iron with either a 21 degree hybrid or a 60 degree. I rarely use it, I can usually hit my 4I further due to better contact so I only pull it out when I know my 18 is too much and I know my 4i is too little... and pray I make great contact (usually dont)

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:37 am

I don't think I am good enough to make use of four wedges. Since my Ping i3s are so old and cheap, I went ahead and bought a matched 60° Lob wedge to replace that random DX wedge I mentioned. Probably not ultimately important but it's one less inconsistency that I have to think about, as KtK alluded to.
Along those lines I bought my G25 driver a few years ago and it was already one or two generations old. I did that on purpose because it was the last driver in that line that didn't have an adjustable head. I think having that feature would just mess with me because I already don't fully understand what's going on and it would be one more variable to fuss with.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:47 am

If/when you make the switch to a new set of clubs you’ll likely end up with four wedges because the equipment manufacturers spent the past decade **** with club lofts to make everyone think their dicks got bigger the new set they’re testing in-store has magical technology to help them hit the ball further.

Traditional 7 iron loft was 35°. Your Ping i3 is 34.5°. My Cobra F7 7 iron is 30° while my 8 iron is 35°. A couple years ago when I upgraded from a set originally purchased in 2001, my bag went from the traditional set up to D, 3W, 5W, 4H, 5-GW, SW, LW, P despite making little improvement as a golfer. My bag still covers the same ground, I just get to feel like my dick is bigger because now my 8 iron with a 7 iron loft goes the distance of a 7 iron. Crazy how that works.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:12 am

I hate how they screwed with lofts so that a “sand wedge” has no consistent definition. I think the classic loft is 56 but there are sand wedges with different lofts

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:43 am

56 is the classic loft. My SW is 54 and LW is 58 because they were cheaper from Callaway Pre-Owned than the classic 56 and 60. I hate the new iron sets that come with the “SW” as part of the same set design and specifications. That thing is worthless as an actual “Sand” Wedge and is only called that to mislead customers.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:49 am

It is true that the sand wedges that come with sets are trash. I would ask the rhetorical question of “who uses that trash” but the irony is that the two best sand shots I’ve ever hit were using a wedge from a rental set i used at pebble beach. I came within a foot of holing out a sand shot from a deep ass bunker on #16 using one of those wedges from a set. Go figure.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:28 pm

I love the Korda sisters
Co sign

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:31 pm

It is true that the sand wedges that come with sets are trash. I would ask the rhetorical question of “who uses that trash” but the irony is that the two best sand shots I’ve ever hit were using a wedge from a rental set i used at pebble beach. I came within a foot of holing out a sand shot from a deep ass bunker on #16 using one of those wedges from a set. Go figure.
Do you know anywhere that you can practice taking bunker shots?

I have been playing "winter rules" since probably October and have hit maybe one actual shot out of a bunker since I started playing. It did not go well, I plan on taking relief from the bunker until they are not just wet mud, but I also understand this is not a long term solution.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:07 pm

I have been playing "winter rules" since probably October and have hit maybe one actual shot out of a bunker since I started playing. It did not go well, I plan on taking relief from the bunker until they are not just wet mud, but I also understand this is not a long term solution.
Cool Springs is the only driving range I know of in the area that had practice bunkers, but they don’t even mention them on their website anymore. Some courses (Quicksilver) have bunkers in their range area. Other than that, drive up to Chartiers Country Club and just use the practice facilities like you own the place. Range, bunkers, and short game practice areas.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:11 pm

There’s a local course by me that has a great twilight rate and usually on weekdays I’ll be the last person out. Won’t get a full 18 in but it gives me ample opportunity to practice shots to my fill

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:18 pm

Cool Springs is the only driving range I know of in the area that had practice bunkers, but they don’t even mention them on their website anymore. Some courses (Quicksilver) have bunkers in their range area. Other than that, drive up to Chartiers Country Club and just use the practice facilities like you own the place. Range, bunkers, and short game practice areas.

Pine Creek Golf on Duncan Ave also had a practice bunker at some point. Not sure how COVID is affecting it

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:20 pm

Cool springs short game area sucks now. It was great when I was a kid, you could go there and practice undistrubed for hours. Now it’s some **** with fake grass that they want you to pay for.

I’ll need to find a course this summer with a twilight rate like mimh mentioned, these Pittsburgh country clubs probably have Jew radar and we spot a non-member like myself

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:20 pm

I'm a Tiger fan. But this everyone wear red thing is a lot. The whole maintenance crew at the course worse red. Sorenstam is wearing it over on the LPGA tour. Freddie Couples is playing a ball that says Tiger on it. Cool to see the support but the guys not dead

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Bedford springs has an outrageously nice short game area. The cons are that it costs a ton of money to play and that it is an hour and a half away.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:47 pm

I'm a Tiger fan. But this everyone wear red thing is a lot. The whole maintenance crew at the course worse red. Sorenstam is wearing it over on the LPGA tour. Freddie Couples is playing a ball that says Tiger on it. Cool to see the support but the guys not dead
Means less if he’s dead. This way he actually sees the support.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:49 am

I think this Morikawa kid might be good.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:24 am

Bedford springs has an outrageously nice short game area. The cons are that it costs a ton of money to play and that it is an hour and a half away.
they really dont want anyone to know about the short game practice facility

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:58 am

well the cat is out of the bag now, all 35 users of this website know about it and the fabulously yuge bunkers

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 am

my club's got a superb practice area and has never once checked on anyone out there to see if they're a member. hit me up if anyone's near Youngstown I can shoot you the location

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:05 am

Anyone done anything with the Twilight Golf Association? Or have thoughts on Westwood Golf club?

I haven't played there, but it's only a 15 minute drive, so the weekly 5:30 commitment for this golf league would be doable. Never done a golf league before.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 am

I played Westwood last year with some friends in a scramble format. It's a nice course for the price we paid (I think it was like 38?)