Everything golf

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Day 2 thoughts:

--DAMN YOU, RORY!!! Makes a big run at the cut but can't find a birdie on either of the last 2 holes. Dug himself way too big of a hole. Perhaps if you had this mindset YESTERDAY, you wouldn't have been in this situation!!
--I mentioned yesterday how the last 4 holes were no joke. Lowry had it at 10 and then crapped himself on the last 2, making a pair of bogeys. Dylan Frittelli makes birdie at 15 and then blows it off the planet off the tee at 17 and then nearly goes OB on his tee shot at 18 and comes home double-bogey.
--Tommy Fleetwood would be an excellent 36-hole bet to win this thing
--I spent a good portion of the day on 12 green and 13 tee and they look incredibly easy...at least to these guys. I think I may actually have a chance at a pair of pars on them on Monday (I'll stop fooling myself at some point).
--Got lucky with the amount of rain. I think they were calling for more but it didn't come as forecast. It stinks getting wet but it sure beats getting drenched by the sideways stuff.
--Tiger said he's not playing Memphis next week. I'd bet the next time we see him is BMW in Chicago, meaning he'll probably skip Northern Trust at Liberty National. I wish the golf world could have seen what I saw in the Augusta clubhouse after he had won there. Then they wouldn't have been bending over backwards all over themselves to slurp on and on about the race for 18 being back on. He looked a lot better today but this business of him taking a month off and then coming back and playing a major can't possibly cause anyone to be confident about the potential result. His quote today of 'I just want to go home' says a lot about his state of mind about golf, I think.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:13 pm

I wish the golf world could have seen what I saw in the Augusta clubhouse after he had won there.
Physically or mentally done? I can picture both, him walking around stiff legged like he's 75 or that after the coolness of showing off to his kids wore off that he was done and just wanted to jet.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:44 pm

I saw Westy was E through six holes, just checked now and looks like he tore up the back nine. Yeah Rory, no one to blame but yourself. Insane that he beat his score yesterday by 14 shots.

In terms of other disappointing outings, Adam Scott had a miserable Open and so did Leishman, who I thought would compete here.

I agree...Fleetwood is gonna be real tough to beat. Wouldn't be surprised if he is the first man to bring the Claret Jug back to London since Faldo.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:54 pm

I wish the golf world could have seen what I saw in the Augusta clubhouse after he had won there.
Physically or mentally done? I can picture both, him walking around stiff legged like he's 75 or that after the coolness of showing off to his kids wore off that he was done and just wanted to jet.
I think it's mostly physical. When he got out of the chair from our sitdown interviews following the Masters win, he got up with a very audible grunt, the kind you have when you're really stiff and tired. Not to mention that he looked like he was in a daze like he had gone 15 rounds in a heavyweight fight, which is what a major certainly can feel like. From a mental side, I think he proved to himself that he could get alllll the way back not by just winning the Tour Championship (against 29 other guys, mind you) but by winning a major championship and after climbing that giant mountain, there's bound to be a letdown. The only things he has left to achieve is 83 wins and 19 majors. He could accomplish that simply by winning Masters over the next 10+ years if his body allows it. But stuff he said this week about playing a smaller number of events to help prolong his overall career leads me to believe that his body is very much at its limit.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:48 pm

What the hell is with Rickie's hair

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:55 pm

What the hell is with Rickie's hair
https://www.golf.com/news/2019/06/15/wh ... t-us-open/

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Prime scoring conditions today. Even par ain't gonna get it done for Jordan today.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Wow...Lowry is just running away with this thing. What a beautiful round.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:25 pm

When was the last time an Irishman won the British open in Ireland?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:28 pm

nvm just looked it up. Looks like it's never happened

Of the five that have been won by Irishman, 4 were in England and one in Scotland

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 pm

It's never been in Ireland ;)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:32 pm

It's never been in Ireland ;)
lol whoops. I had thought Portrush has hosted it more

Though apparently you're technically wrong. Portrush hosted it in 1951 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_Open_Championship

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Yes, Portrush has hosted before. Lowry isn't in his home country

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Yes, Portrush has hosted before. Lowry isn't in his home country
I meant the island, not country

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:18 pm

This place will lose their collective minds tomorrow if Lowry wins it. More thoughts later...

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Didn't realize that was the course record until I saw a tweet a little bit ago. Ridiculous to do that after sleeping on a share of the 36 hole lead

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Also I think Fleetwood hit like 17 GIR so he's more than capable of playing catch-up tomorrow. I'm down with the moved up tee times too

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Day 3 thoughts:

--That was an absurd round by Lowry. He hit big putts, he got out of trouble the rare times he got in it, and he took advantage of a couple of nice bounces. Remember that he had the 54-hole lead at Oakmont in 2016 before crapping all over himself on Sunday. He's got the pedigree to win this for sure after winning the 2015 WGC at Firestone and he also has an Irish Open win when he was an amateur. Certainly doesn't hurt to have that 4-shot lead and he can make it even bigger on those first five holes Sunday. He's gonna need as much as he can before the winds kick up.
--That said, I think Fleetwood is still a smart betting option. I have him now at +550 and right now, he's +350. In past years when he's been in contention in a big event, Saturday has been a problem for him. Today, he hit those 17 GIR but just couldn't get a couple of putts to fall. He comes back with that effort tomorrow and I might get paid.
--After that, the field is gonna have to hope the weather gets really silly and one of those -9s or -8s will have to have a steady 69-71 to get it done. Koepka's claiming that he's hitting it the best in the field and it should hold up in any bad weather so let's see if he walks the walk.
--Interesting news came out yesterday that on Tuesday, the R&A tested the drivers of 30 different players for COR. At least 3 were found to be non-compliant and had to be taken out of play. Xander Schauffele was one of those who got dinged. He's none too happy that it was only a random sample and that the entire field wasn't tested. There's two ways to look at this -- sorry, it's random like drug testing and you just happened to get caught...or if that ratio of 3 out of 30 coming up non-compliant held, there were potentially 12 others who weren't tested that had non-compliant drivers. The R&A hasn't commented on the situation but now we see why Xander struggled mightily in the first round.
--The reason why there's OB left on the 1st hole when there's so much space over there? When Portrush was first incorporated, they didn't own the land between the 1st and 18th holes so it was marked OB (there's OB left of 18 as well). When they bought that land, they decided to keep the OB rules as is. Sorry, Rory.
--I think Lowry ends up with the win tomorrow and the town of Portrush will stay open very late on a Sunday.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Re: Xander

First off, he's coming off a little whiny. That said, as an auditor (nerd alert), when you are testing compliance with a sample, you pick your sample expecting no deviations (non-conforming clubs in this instance). If there are devations, you expand the sample. So.. What's an acceptable amount of findings for them? What if 10 came back as non-conforming and they didn't test more? Not a good look. Further, I've been to too many baseball and softball tournaments to count where they test every bat in play and give you a sticker so the umps know the bat is good. That's the day of the tournament. If a team has 6 bats or so they use and it's a 15 team tournament that's 90 bats they're checking in a morning. They do the pressure test too these days with bats being potentially "hot" just like Xanders driver. You can't tell me they can't figure out how to look at all 156 over a couple days if they wanted to.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:35 am

I agree with ya. I think if they were gonna pull this inspection trick, they needed to do it for everyone. Bad look for the R&A. Tiger’s was tested and passed.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:12 am

I agree with ya. I think if they were gonna pull this inspection trick, they needed to do it for everyone. Bad look for the R&A. Tiger’s was tested and passed.
Yup...they should have done it for everyone.

Man, like you said, if Lowry holds on to win this thing, the roof is going to blow off of Portrush. In any event, the UK fans have to be pretty excited about their prospects today.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:28 am

Rickie goes OB on the 1st tee. That's gotta suck. Especially if you bet on Rickie vs Rose in a matchup today :(

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:56 am

If you bet on Rickie for anything in the final round of a major you get what’s coming to ya.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 am

He's up 3 on Rose atm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:37 am

At this point I’m just watching for the scenery. I hate run away majors like this. Unless something crazy happens, this thing is locked up.