Steelers at Bills - week 5

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:22 am

At least one guy (Arthur Maulet, who I have never heard of) seems to be unhappy with the team's attitude towards losing.

No senior leadership, no X's and O's coaching, bad coordinators...what's not to love?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:48 am

At least one guy (Arthur Maulet, who I have never heard of) seems to be unhappy with the team's attitude towards losing.

No senior leadership, no X's and O's coaching, bad coordinators...what's not to love?
Backup CB elevated to starting CB thanks to injuries. Sixth year guy. Undrafted out of Memphis. I like seeing someone like this being pissed. Not a remarkable player but definitely someone who's managed an uphill battle to stay in the league and knows he's always too close to being unemployed to get comfortable with losing and shitty performances.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:31 pm

It's kind of wild, how this season was expected - we all knew it was coming. But there are more questions than answers at this point, and that really points at hot bad Tomlin is handling the situation right now, imo.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:34 pm

I feel like this is trending towards best case scenario. Pickett getting good experience. Picken looking good. Defense is decent. Bad coaching staff is being exposed. All we need is a top 5 pick and a cleaning of the house of coaching staff and we win 8 of the next 10 Superb Owls

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:35 pm

The annoying thing is that because "Tomlin's never had a losing season," he's going to get 2-3 more to right the ship, when that shouldn't have been the case considering the like past 5+ years playoff failures.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:52 pm

I don't mind Tomlin as a game day coach, but he needs to be given less power over who he chooses as a coordinator. Which won't happen, which will lead to more ineptitude, which will at least give the Steelers some good draft picks coming up. Worked well for the late 90's Steelers.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:01 pm

Do we know that Tomlin has power over who he hires as coordinators? I thought it was the Steelers front office who were notoriously cheap when hiring coaches.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:02 pm

No coach should have any limiting factors on hiring coordinators imo. If they fail, it's on the HC. But meddling in the hiring is bad business

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:04 pm

IIRC the Steelers have a hand in hiring coordinators, or at least have some say - and that's how I think they ended up with Butler.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:10 pm

Best case scenario for next year is the Steelers end up with a top 5 pick and some QB needy team overpays with draft picks in a trade scenario. Then address the holes in the team, specifically Corner, middle LB, and both lines. You can envision a scenario where the Steelers at least get an additional first and maybe a second. You can literally address the issues without even thinking about free agency, which they have a ton of space to make improvements.

I know this is looking really far ahead but it doesn’t look good this year. But with improvements in the aforementioned areas, this team would be pretty damn good

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:10 pm

Yeah. I thought that the Steelers FO refusal to pay for high quality coordinators was a common topic of discussion here.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:11 pm

By Tomlin's reactions on the field, it appears he depends solely on his coordinators. You hardly see him yelling to his players to get into position or calling plays. He just watches for the most part, then congratulates/corrects when necessary. He may make a decision on 4th down here and there, and botch timeouts at the most inopportune times.

So if he isn't hiring coordinators, what's his actual job? Get the players in game shape? Cheerleader?

I'm still a fan of his, but you're starting to see he just doesn't have it anymore. And I'm not going to jump on any "Fire Tomlin!" yinzer tirade because I know it won't happen.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:28 pm

Yeah. I thought that the Steelers FO refusal to pay for high quality coordinators was a common topic of discussion here.
Common as in dodint posts about it a lot

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:31 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure if the coordinators are underpaid or not. Dodint posts about the Steelers coaching payroll as a whole being low, and that's mostly (I think?) because they have a small coaching staff by pure numbers. Are they paid less by position? I'd like to see that. I think the smaller staff is more of a strategic decision (arguable obviously that it is a good decision, but the Pats have had the smallest staff for a while too). I'd buy the too many cooks in the kitchen argument of they were doing better.

The U

Postby The U » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Finish with a top 5 draft pick and then trade down is the best option. It means Pickett has proven he may have what it takes to be a franchise QB. It allows us to stockpile picks and fill as many holes as possible.

Keeping the high pick and drafting a LB, DE, CB, OT is not going to move the needle enough, sadly. The team needs an infusion of youth and talent at too many spots to not trade down.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:51 pm

Common as in dodint posts about it a lot
:lol: That explains it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:12 pm

IIRC the Steelers have a hand in hiring coordinators, or at least have some say - and that's how I think they ended up with Butler.
Butler came to the Steelers in 2003 as linebackers coach and wasn't promoted to DC until 2015. Tomlin was hired in 2007. Butler's relationship under Tomlin with the Steelers was long enough that it wasn't just an organizational move. Tomlin also worked under Butler as a graduate assistant at Memphis in 1996 and DB coach at Arkansas State in 1998. In 1997 Tomlin was a WR coach at Arkansas State under Fitchner. Wanna guess who recruited Tomlin's son to Maryland?