MTOP: do you thank veterans “for their service”?

Do you thank veterans “for their service”?

I always try to
No votes
Most to half of the time
No votes
Only a few times
38%
Never
63%

Total votes: 8
meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

MTOP: do you tip when you order food to-go?

Postby meow » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:40 pm

That’s why you tip with cash. Come on, boys. Use your noggins

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:48 pm

For takeout I always leave something, but I don't follow any percentage rules. How much I leave depends on the place.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:48 pm

Sometimes but no more than a couple bucks. I’m supposed to tip someone who threw some food in a styrofoam clamshell like I tip someone who kept food and drink coming for my fat ass for an hour and a half? **** naw. 25% lol.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:05 am

I started tipping during Covid lockdowns. Just kind of kept doing it since.
Yeah, I certainly picked up on my tipping during covid and it really hasn't subsided very much. I'm also making much more money since covid, which is also a factor...

I honestly don't know what my criteria is for tipping for pickup...it might be how friendly the person is that hands me the bag. Is it that two second interaction? It might be, I'm flipping through my mental rolodex to look for reasoning here and I'm not sure I'm finding anything...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:15 am

Started more with covid too, yes, also I have more disposable income like mikey. If it's something super easy, like Chinese that they probably grabbed from their buffet, no. Decent place, I'll throw a couple bucks. Also if it's somewhere I'm a regular at I'll tip

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:42 pm

I am struggling to figure out tipping with Doordash/Grubhub. I usually just go 20% like I would when dining out, but I feel like mileage should factor in to how much food that are bringing. It's usually 1-2 poly bags.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:57 pm

This thread format is dumb.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:54 am

Sometimes but no more than a couple bucks. I’m supposed to tip someone who threw some food in a styrofoam clamshell like I tip someone who kept food and drink coming for my fat ass for an hour and a half? **** naw. 25% lol.
most restaurants spread the tips around to everyone these days, not just wait staff.
if it's someplace you eat regularly and they know your face or name, I'd consider tipping. if I piss off restaurant staff, I plan on never going back because I don't want to risk a spitter or worse.

I tip when getting take out but less than when dining in.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:22 am

I typically almost always tip.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:32 am

I started tipping during Covid lockdowns. Just kind of kept doing it since.
Yeah, I certainly picked up on my tipping during covid and it really hasn't subsided very much. I'm also making much more money since covid, which is also a factor...

I honestly don't know what my criteria is for tipping for pickup...it might be how friendly the person is that hands me the bag. Is it that two second interaction? It might be, I'm flipping through my mental rolodex to look for reasoning here and I'm not sure I'm finding anything...
This is pretty much me. I know why I started tipping for takeout during covid. I'm not sure why I didn't stop...other than I think I'd feel bad doing so. Which is kinda funny, I guess. We do tend to tip more if there is curbside, but definitely less than delivery.

I'm just sitting here laughing at 'mental rolodex' because it's so accurate. I guess it became routine, and routines are hard to break?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MTOP: How picky of an eater are you?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:22 pm

please provide examples

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:26 pm

Handful of things I don’t like… olives, cantaloupe/honeydew, black liquorice… I think that’s about it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:09 am

The only food that is a hard pass for me is nattō, which is something that's been discussed in other threads. Outside of culturally taboo items (whale, dog, etc) there isn't anything I won't at least try once.

The few things I actively don't like are relatively benign. Mung bean sprouts can f**k off, for example.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:56 am

I cant think of anything of the top of my head honestly. There are certain foods that I don't particularly care for but would still eat them if they were there. I might just not want to spend money on them, generally

Thought of one... beets. But even still I'll eat them

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:50 am

I will generally at least try anything that can be bludgeoned unconscious long enough to throw onto a plate. I might not like it, but I'll try it. The list of things I don't like and won't eat is quite short. I don't care for Taiwanese stinky tofu, and neither am I all that fond of the really funky "feet" cheeses, although I will eat the nattō that tifosi won't (I don't love it, but I can eat it). I'll gladly eat all sorts of guts and organ meats and raw fish and tartare and haggis and whatever. For example, last weekend I got the "Dried Sauteed Pork Intestine w. Spices" from Chengdu Gourmet 2 on McKnight. The intestine was quite tasty, although the dish was otherwise so freakin' hot and loaded with hot peppers that I don't think I'll order it again (whatever pig donated those intestines got its revenge on my intestines).

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:36 am

I don't consider myself too picky, but I am not a fan of a lot of things but I'll still eat them, like I don't like the grocery store bought birthday cakes especially vanilla cake with buttercream icing, but I'll eat it if that is the only option and I'm hungry. Black licoric, pork chops (usually because they are usually over cooked and fatty), Doritos, and Pringles are other examples.

Things I won't eat include super sour candy, anything extremely spicy, escargot, and chicken feet.

I also don't think I'd ever try insects or anything like Casu martzu, Sardinian cheese with maggots in it.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:30 am

I can only think of a few things that I wouldn't at least TRY. I'll never try Rocky Mountain Oysters. while I would try some insects, there are a few that just....no. a friend was traveling in China and Japan recently and tried fried cockroaches. nope, no way in hell.

as for "normal food", I hate almost all beans. lima, kidney, navy, pinto, red, fava, soy doesn't really matter. I think it's mostly a texture thing for me. one exception is french cut green beans. I won't make them but if they're on the table I'll grab some.

foie gras is something I've had but don't think I'd have again. I didn't get the luxuriousness of it (and I had it at the #1 restaurant in the world) and the production of it (force feeding young ducks until their liver swells) just sounds awful.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:43 am

We just had this discussion at home. I couldn't really think of anything I don't eat. Sure, there are foods I prefer and others I wouldn't choose to eat, but I generally will eat or try anything. The other three members of the family don't feel that way, of course.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:48 am

I have the overall food palate of a 6 year old.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:50 am

I don't think it's a matter of "would try it"... the choices for the poll use the word "like". I don't like olives or cantaloupe, but they're not deal breakers where I avoid that dish at all costs because they might be near it. If the question is "would I give it a go?" then yeah, nothing I wouldn't at least try.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:29 pm

Yeah, I think I'm what you're looking for here.

-No seafood. Maybe a shrimp, maybe a bite of a crabcake, but i'll never order or make it
-No dark poultry meat.
-No cheese with visible mold. I am aware that all cheese is mold, but thank you for your letters.
-No mushrooms
-No fatty red meat. and it should be medium well to well done.
-Nothing that I have to suck meat off of a bone, so no wings or ribs.
-No asparagus or brussel sprouts, but I think all other veggies are fine
-All fruit is fine, except for durian

For me, it's much more about texture than taste. I'm also aware that a ton of it is the thought of what I'm eating ruining the experience of the food itself.

I've tried to expand my palate, but...I don't know...it's hard wired in there somewhere. I kinda hate it, to be honest. I'd love to like more, I just don't.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:40 pm

-No seafood. Maybe a shrimp, maybe a bite of a crabcake, but i'll never order or make it
-No dark poultry meat.
-No cheese with visible mold. I am aware that all cheese is mold, but thank you for your letters.
-No mushrooms

For me, it's much more about texture than taste. I'm also aware that a ton of it is the thought of what I'm eating ruining the experience of the food itself.

I've tried to expand my palate, but...I don't know...it's hard wired in there somewhere. I kinda hate it, to be honest. I'd love to like more, I just don't.
interesting. @skullman80 what's your palate?

my diet is all over the place. Seafood all depends (love shrimp, octopus, calamari and some fish but hate salmon, crab and lobster). No poultry whatsoever unless it's ground. Very few vegetables and the ones I do like I prefer raw over cooked (like I love raw carrots but don't like cooked carrots). Also I'll eat most if not all fruits but I am pretty sensitive to any molding/imperfections

my mount rushmore of most hated foods are:
- chicken (not that it's the most vile but it's the most popular by far)
- pickles (**** hate pickle juice and I can't stand when a sandwich bread or french fries are infected with the juice from a pickle on the plate)
- canned tuna (smells like death)
- mayo (also smells terrible and has such a weird texture to me)

my preferences are weirdly specific though and I think texture is a big part of it. Like I like philly cheesesteak but don't like cheeseburgers. it's incomprehensible, even to me. in fact, me order a burger at a resutrant is entertaining (in a painful way) because I don't like any of lettuce, tomatoes, onions or pickles on it. So for me usually it's just the meat and then either only ketchup or only bacon/bbq sauce (though I do like eggs on burgers)

if I had to guess, this is probably all related to my ADHD, but it's weird how it manifests

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:57 pm

-No dark poultry meat.
-No mushrooms

interesting. @skullman80 what's your palate?

my diet is all over the place. Seafood all depends (love shrimp, octopus, calamari and some fish but hate salmon, crab and lobster). No poultry whatsoever unless it's ground. Very few vegetables and the ones I do like I prefer raw over cooked (like I love raw carrots but don't like cooked carrots). Also I'll eat most if not all fruits but I am pretty sensitive to any molding/imperfections

my mount rushmore of most hated foods are:
- chicken (not that it's the most vile but it's the most popular by far)
- pickles (**** hate pickle juice and I can't stand when a sandwich bread or french fries are infected with the juice from a pickle on the plate)
- canned tuna (smells like death)
- mayo (also smells terrible and has such a weird texture to me)

my preferences are weirdly specific though and I think texture is a big part of it. Like I like philly cheesesteak but don't like cheeseburgers. it's incomprehensible, even to me. in fact, me order a burger at a resutrant is entertaining (in a painful way) because I don't like any of lettuce, tomatoes, onions or pickles on it. So for me usually it's just the meat and then either only ketchup or only bacon/bbq sauce (though I do like eggs on burgers)

if I had to guess, this is probably all related to my ADHD, but it's weird how it manifests
Im just a very plain eater.

Burgers...just cheese and ketchup, unless I can have a fried egg on it.
Chicken wings...plain
Pizza -- Pepporoni or Sausage
No seafood unless it's a fried fish sandwich from a firehall during lent
No spicy food
Love Italian food, spaghetti, lasagna etc
Love meat and potatoes in general in any combination. I'm fine with my meat being some pink, and with my steaks at medium or medium rare though.
If I could eat chicken fingers and fries for the rest of my life I'd be happy. Sometimes I'd rather order of the kids menu at fancier restaurants
No salads at all...lettuce, tomatoes, onion etc. Gross. I do like croutons though haha.
Most veggies I'll eat but they have to be cooked. No to Brussel sprouts though.

I grew up poor so most of my meals were cheap encore chicken parm tv dinners, chicken patties from the meat section, spaghetti, or ground up hamburger in a pan. I never acquired a taste for other types of food I guess even later in life.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:26 pm

Buncha children up in here

Watermelon shouldn’t be considered food stuff
Bear is gross

I don’t really actively dislike anything else I’ve ever eaten

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:41 pm

For example, last weekend I got the "Dried Sauteed Pork Intestine w. Spices" from Chengdu Gourmet 2 on McKnight.
:fist:
One of the best things I've ever eaten was at a Thai restaurant in Hollywood; the English translation on the menu was "pig entrail soup". :mrgreen:

Some photos from our trip to Singapore/Vietnam a few years ago:

You will notice the complete lack of refrigeration in their poultry processing and stacks of innards in the open air market. The fermented pork mince with steamed rice cakes. The names like "silkworm salad" and "five spice offal" and "steamed pig brains" (not visible in the cropped image is the duck egg embryo).