MTOP: do you thank veterans “for their service”?

Do you thank veterans “for their service”?

I always try to
No votes
Most to half of the time
No votes
Only a few times
38%
Never
63%

Total votes: 8
RonnieFranchise

MTOP: best buddy cop combo?

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:29 pm

Knight and KITT

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:36 pm

I'd think about throwing Dirty Harry into the mix

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:14 am

Dirty Harry and a .44?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:26 am

Boyle and Peralta.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:51 am

Sid and Malkin

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:32 am

Yeah, Angel and Danny from Hot Fuzz would've probably gotten my vote if they were on there. Their whole relationship is poking fun at the trope, but they still end up right on target for what buddy cops are.

I'd have thrown Lowery and Marcus from Bad Boys in there too.

Ponch and John are excellent.

If we extend outside 'actual cops', then there is only one true answer. Intelligent, proficient, selfless, often heroic in the face of a true criminal mastermind, and all in the face of complete ineptitude within the department itself.
Penny and Brain.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:42 pm

Tango and Cash. End the thread
That movie is such a mess but somehow is incredibly fun. It’s like, at the time, they couldn’t decide if this was going to be played as a straight buddy cop movie or a total Lampoon of the genre. Either way it’s still awesome.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:58 pm

How is foley paired with either? The pair was rosewood and taggert and foley was on his own.
Yeah, this is not a nitpicky thing here. Foley wasn't even from their jurisdiction (hence all the comedy that ensued).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:03 pm

lol re: the Beverley Hills Cop combo. It’s been forever since I’ve seen the movies so I honestly was just going with what I could get from google

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:23 pm

Ponch and Jon
I'm revising my vote to this.

12 year-old me loved this show. The first few years had really good music.

The great myth of CHiPs - the CHP is almost exclusively traffic law enforcement on state highways. At the time of the show, they had no real criminal jurisdiction outside of that. Producers would concoct loosely vehicle-related ties to police stuff (e.g. a string of car radio thefts) to get Ponch and Jon on the case, but CHP really wouldn't have anything to do with like 85% of the acts they investigated on the show. It would be like writing a show about a John Deere factory worker who went around investigating murders perpetrated by people driving tractors.

When it got to syndication the show title was changed to "CHiPs Patrol", which literally means "California Highway Patrol Patrol".

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:41 pm

How is foley paired with either? The pair was rosewood and taggert and foley was on his own.
Yeah, this is not a nitpicky thing here. Foley wasn't even from their jurisdiction (hence all the comedy that ensued).
But McClane and Zeus is valid?!?! Zeus isn’t even a cop.

Usually the idea of buddy cop is two opposites. (Hence Murtaugh and Riggs.) The poll doesn’t say partners, so Taggart and Foley are more opposed than Foley and Billy Rosewood.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:55 pm

btw I included Zeus for the same reason I included Hammond. Hammond isn’t a cop but 48 Hrs. Is regarded as one of, if not the first, buddy cop movie and agree with the categorization. Hammond and Zeus aren’t cops but effectively act as such

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:02 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:40 pm

But McClane and Zeus is valid?!?! Zeus isn’t even a cop.

Usually the idea of buddy cop is two opposites. (Hence Murtaugh and Riggs.) The poll doesn’t say partners, so Taggart and Foley are more opposed than Foley and Billy Rosewood.
"Buddy cop" is not the same as "buddy of a cop".

Also...
No Mulder and Scully? Starsky and Hutch? Cagney and Lacey? Taylor and Fife? Any of the L&O pairings? You forego all of these to include McClane and shove-a-lightning-bolt-up-your-ass-Zeus who isn't even a cop?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:07 pm

The great myth of CHiPs - the CHP is almost exclusively traffic law enforcement on state highways. At the time of the show, they had no real criminal jurisdiction outside of that. Producers would concoct loosely vehicle-related ties to police stuff (e.g. a string of car radio thefts) to get Ponch and Jon on the case, but CHP really wouldn't have anything to do with like 85% of the acts they investigated on the show. It would be like writing a show about a John Deere factory worker who went around investigating murders perpetrated by people driving tractors.

When it got to syndication the show title was changed to "CHiPs Patrol", which literally means "California Highway Patrol Patrol".
What happens in a highway pursuit when the chased takes an off ramp? They have to stop chasing them?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:13 pm

What happens in a highway pursuit when the chased takes an off ramp? They have to stop chasing them?
That's the same as any other cross-jurisdictional pursuit. They can maintain contact and eventually make stops on surface roadways, but they can only cite or arrest for the actions that happened on the highway.

To that end, there was a funny conclusion to a pursuit yesterday where the police agency backed off as the speeds were getting out of hand. (They just let air units tail the car) The guy drove around in and out of different neighborhoods for a while, and eventually just pulled into a grocery store parking lot to surrender. Did the whole get out of the car with his hands over his head, step backwards away from the car, lie face down on the ground....... but there were no police there. So it was like a very conscientious pantomime.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MTOP: what do you USUALLY do for audio in a car?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:10 pm

also, what podcasts/type of music do you pick specifically for driving?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:13 pm

Short trips: NPR or music
Long trips: podcast

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:21 pm

Satellite radio

Occasionally Spotify

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:24 pm

Satellite radio

Occasionally Spotify
Ditto.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Might be time to get a job, MiMH.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:27 pm

When it’s just me, it’s always a podcast. Right now I’m on a pro wrestling kick and I’m listening to The Lapsed Fan’s in depth looks at the first 30 Wrestlemanias. I’m on Wrestlemania IX right now. Each episode is 3-5 hours long so it’s taking me a while.

When I’m with my wife, we listen to whatever music we’re digging. At the moment it’s a lot of Waxahatchee though she’s snuck the new Lizzo in there a couple times.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:31 pm

My car is currently without radio.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 pm

I listen to one of the following:

-WYEP
-SXM NHL Radio during hockey season
-DC Sports radio, or SXM NFL Radio during football season
-SXM ESPNU Radio during college football and basketball seasons
-SXM Little Steven’s Underground Garage
- Play by play of a sporting event

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:46 pm

I didn’t intend for the radio one to be one specific station. I say if you have a list of stations then still select the radio one