Your 2022 Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:09 pm

And Greg Allen

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:37 pm

I advocated for Suwinski to go down to AAA but he's played well enough to earn his way back up now.

The reason roansy isn't up is because they were either managing his innings or working him back up to 5 innings or something. Idk I heard a BC interview and I wasn't as annoyed after I heard his explanation

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:54 pm

Suwinski hasn't played well enough in AAA to "earn" his way back up at all, but I agree with rather watching him strike out than van meter. It's interesting that they feel that the "book" on guys is now so prevalent in AAA that you can have them work on their weaknesses there. Castillo looking good at AAA though. And Mitchell continues to do so.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Define "earn"

Are Gamel and Allen "earning" ABs over him?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 pm

I thought he had like a 1.000 OPS down there the last few weeks

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:12 pm

720ish with 13 rbi in 13 games

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:13 pm

Define "earn"

Are Gamel and Allen "earning" ABs over him?
Lol

12g 8-45 in August with 2rbi 3bb and 21k. .178avg .489ops

Still would rather see him than gamel/allen

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:23 pm

DK and co. look like they've turned on the Pirates and are saying people need fired for what's happening right now, lmao.
They are just running metrics on their columns and social media posts to determine what takes are getting the most engagement.

I think it was probably back when 1250 went off the air, and then the Fan showed up to fill that sports talk void, and shortly into the Fan's first round of hosts, that I dawned on me how these people don't know anything about sports.
I loved listening to Stan Savaran on 970AM. He may have been a bit boorish, but the guy knew his stuff and stayed on topic. The Fan ruined everything.
Stan still has a show on 970 AM from 12 to 2 M-F.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:09 pm

DK and co. look like they've turned on the Pirates and are saying people need fired for what's happening right now, lmao.
They are just running metrics on their columns and social media posts to determine what takes are getting the most engagement.

I think it was probably back when 1250 went off the air, and then the Fan showed up to fill that sports talk void, and shortly into the Fan's first round of hosts, that I dawned on me how these people don't know anything about sports.
I loved listening to Stan Savaran on 970AM. He may have been a bit boorish, but the guy knew his stuff and stayed on topic. The Fan ruined everything.
Stan still has a show on 970 AM from 12 to 2 M-F.
TIL. Not only that Stan still has a show, but that 970 is still airing content.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:12 pm

I think it's been a positive year for development in the system. It was not looking so good early on with some obvious disappointments but most of those can be tempered and there were plenty of surprise risers and some breakouts

In the major impact zone for possible core players I'd rank the following as improved stock:

Keller, Yerry, Contreras, Endy, Priester, Burrows, Lopez, Solometo, Bednar, Reynolds, Newman, Brubaker, Chandler

For some of the established guys here I think they had positive seasons so far and a few guys pushed themselves into high impact prospects

Major impact guys who did not improve their stock or decreased in value:

Cruz, Hayes, Davis, Peguero, Gonzales

This group is the key to judging this season. I think each player still has similar upside to how they entered the season but did not improve their stock. Cruz is arguable. He's a phenomenon. Incredible exit velocity, sprint speed, arm strength and played solid SS. I'm tempted to say he improved his value but his superstar potential is decreased until he improves his pitch selection.

Hayes has an undeniably valuable floor, but his star potential is more in doubt until he puts up more power. His exit velocity is impressive so I'm bullish.

Davis smacked his way to AA where he was average in a small sample and injured again. Still bullish on him

Peguero began the season very hot but went into a long dreary slump. Since returning from injury he's hot again. Like every one in this category he's young enough that his star capability is still alive.

Gonzales is the most worrisome. Doesn't have the positional value and is a bit older so his struggling hit skill is the most disappointing of all the major impact guys

Other prospects who lost value:

Yajure, Martin, Scott, Fraizer

Prospects who maintained their course:

Suwinski, Mitchell, Castillo, Castro, Bae, Njigba, Jones, Gutierrez, Nicolas, Bolton, Thomas, Swaggerty, Mlodzinski

Prospects who made a nice improvement in their value:

Nolasco, Gorski, Marcano, Jimenez, Triolo, Sabol, Madris

I think the most obvious disappointments are young enough to reclaim their status and overall there were few sub par performances and plenty of minor and a few major breakouts.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:40 am

Good stuff ll

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:31 am

Reynolds has had a pretty mediocre year.

Hayes has still been a valuable player, he's clearly not a top of the order bat, but will always be a valuable piece. Cruz's slash line is abysmal because of his k's, but we knew the K's were going to be a think with him, but otherwise I think he has raised his floor enough to remove him from that category. So basically we know he's going to hit homeruns and play SS, that's a lot. I just hope it's not an Alvarez situation, where in a bid to improve his weakness, they just stripped away all his strengths as a hitter. I think the approach has to be seek improvement, not correction. If they can just get the k% to 30 by next year, then call it a win.

Peguero and Gonzalez may both bust, Peguero has the higher floor because of SS, but Gonzalez is moving to uninteresting to me and I don't care to see what he does on a routine basis.

Frazier might still progress as he is toolsy, but Martin is done.

Suwinski and Mitchell are breakout guys this year, and it's encouraging that they broke out for real in the higher levels. While neither were ready for full-time ML roles, they both proved they can play at this level to an extent, it's not common for prospects to immediately succeed. I think for the most part, the other guys on that list are organization guys, they may contribute at the ML level, but only in spots.

Organizational depth keeps improving year over year, but they are having trouble transforming that depth into meaningful pieces. I mean, if they culmination of this rebuild is to just have a large cast of guys in AAA that can hack it in the majors, that does not bode well.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:45 am

The Gonzales situation has me concerned about all the hype with Termarr Johnson this past draft. A pure hitter, probably a second baseman but switched to SS to improve draft status.

Just makes you continue to wonder what the Pirates are doing with their development of players. With very few exceptions, it seems any good to great player we have comes via trade with another team where they've spent most of their development time. Not many go through their entire minor league careers here and turn out to be great. And it's not something new with GMBC's regime, it goes back many, many years.

Regarding LL's report, it's all good stuff. I do take some of those grades with a grain of salt, especially first year minor leaguers. Players have fluke years, both good and bad. I'll still give GMBC a little bit of leash with these guys and guys from previous drafts, but we better start seeing some high level output soon. Can't keep drafting in the top 5 and keep hoping for players to turn from pumpkins into superstars.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am

That's always been my question. For a team that's easily readily to compare themselves to other organizations who put prospects first. They do a fantastically **** job at really developing any of those prospects.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:29 pm

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:32 pm

Agree. Still a little too early to tell with GMBC but if player development doesn't improve from what it was under the previous regime, we'll never break the cycle.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:51 pm

Those are some limbs if I’ve ever seen them

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:40 pm

Roansy has been recalled

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:26 pm

I'm looking for a Bucco sweep of the lowly Red Sox @MalkinIsMyHomeboy.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:28 pm

Can someone explain to me why we're so down on Nick Gonzales? Still has hype nationally. He was playing average-to-well in AA through May and then missed months with an injury.

Is it because he's already 23?

I see no reason why he can't finish strong in AA, be a candidate to go to the AFL, then come back and start next year in AAA.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:33 pm

There's just nothing he has done to make me write him off. He slaughtered A+ in his first year pro then began his 2nd year in AA. Without the injury he could have easily had a late season callup to AAA then a mid-season callup to PIT next year. Injury set back his progress this year but I'd bet he gets some ABs in Pittsburgh next year unless he gets hurt again

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:09 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:12 pm

Also, another loser:

I guess this means Ke'Bryan is out for a while?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:35 pm

Can someone explain to me why we're so down on Nick Gonzales? Still has hype nationally. He was playing average-to-well in AA through May and then missed months with an injury.

Is it because he's already 23?

I see no reason why he can't finish strong in AA, be a candidate to go to the AFL, then come back and start next year in AAA.
He has not played well this year. Slugging .366 in AA. Back to my earlier point regarding minor leaguers, maybe he's just having that one bad year between a bunch of successful years.

It's just disappointing when you have all these high level prospects, top 50, top 100, then they get to the majors and peter out. Like, wtf are they doing with these guys that they aren't ready for the majors? I want to see guys mashing it in the minors, begging for a promotion. Cruz somewhat did that this year. I give him a leash with how he's started in the majors because he struggled at the beginning of each of his promotions.

I'm not writing off Gonzales or any prospect. But until these guys really start showing numbers instead of pedigree, I'll remain pessimistic.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:41 pm

I'm not going to hold the previous regime's failures against the current regime. No one that's been acquired/developed by BC and co. has made it through yet to really offer an opinion one way or another. Roansy might be #1