Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:08 pm

OK shad

Ad@m

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Ad@m » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

Good that he did it, but why post it on social media?

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

Because people just can't keep their business off Social Media. Mostly doing it for clout.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 pm

Kid had her first soccer practice last night. Rocky start as she didn't want to leave our side, but once she got going, she was good.

At the very end the coach had a chat with the kids:

Coach: Okay... your homework for next week is to come up with ideas for a team name! We're red, so think of things that are red.

Kid 1: Fire?

Coach: Yup. Fire is red.

Kid 2: Raspberries?

Coach: Ohhh, I love red raspberries.

Kid 3: FIRE RASPBERRIES!!!!

All the kids start cheering. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:58 am

Our school district finally announced their plan for the eclipse... tl;dnr: Early dismissal is optional for those that want it and won't count against the kid's absence, full day is going ahead as planned.
By now, you probably have heard about the Solar Eclipse that will occur on April 8, 2024. For
our area, There are many websites available that provide an explanation of a solar eclipse,
what to expect in our area, and safety precautions (just google “Solar Eclipse 2024), but here is
a link to the NASA website:
https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/futur ... ipse-2024/

You may have also heard that some schools in Pennsylvania have already decided to cancel
school that day or to dismiss early. As I have done throughout the pandemic and the last 4
years, I’d like to share some thoughts with you about the situation.

School delays, closures and early dismissals are never taken lightly by me, and the decisions
are always more complex than they may seem on the surface. For example, changes in the
schedule can be a major challenge for parents who must arrange for childcare. Also, there can
be implications for a specific educational day. On April 8th, there are a few student field trips
and an event for senior students planned for the day. These are just a few of the many factors
that need to be considered. But, when we do have weather related changes to the schedule, we
try to air on the side of caution for student safety.

While the solar eclipse does present potential concerns for student safety, we have taken some
steps to address safety concerns already. First, the teachers and staff will be providing
educational information about solar eclipses prior to and during the school day on April 8th.
This will be a great learning experience for our students. Secondly, the Penn State College of
Science has donated 2900 pairs of eclipse glasses for our schools. We will distribute these to
students the day of the eclipse even if it’s a cloudy day. And finally, driving during an eclipse
can be tricky, so please be aware that a few students could be slightly delayed getting home on
buses that day due to the eclipse. Bus drivers should not be looking directly into the sun for an
extended period of time during an eclipse or otherwise, but the arrival times may be slightly later
if there are traffic implications.

As a side note, the weather on the 8th is not known yet. The weather in Central Pennsylvania is
very unpredictable, as we well know with winter weather events. While AccuWeather is currently
predicting no rain on Monday, it could be cloudy which could obscure the viewing of the sun in
the eclipse. The event may not be as spectacular simply because the sun is hidden in the
clouds.

And, finally, I completely understand that parents may have specific safety concerns about their
own child(ren), and families may want to share the event together. Given all of the
considerations, we are going to offer an opportunity for parents to decide for their own children
much like we did during the pandemic. Parents may choose an early dismissal for their own
child(ren) for the eclipse. The early dismissal/absence will be an excused absence from
school. This also includes an opportunity for an early dismissal for student drivers. .Parents of
student drivers may want to consider requesting an early dismissal, so that their students are
not driving during the eclipse. In all cases, for April 8th, students may be dismissed early,
similarly to any early dismissal, but parents should provide a written note/email prior to the
afternoon of the 8th. Please send a note/email to school with your child indicating that your
child should be dismissed early due to the solar eclipse or if you would like your child, or student
driver, to be dismissed early.

I am hopeful that our providing educational information about solar eclipses and solar eclipse
glasses, as well as an opportunity for parents to make their own decisions about early
dismissals for their own child(ren) on April 8th, we will meet the needs of most of our families.
10/10. Great job, Madam Superintendent.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 pm

I wish Easter baskets would go away. We have so many garbage junk trinkets in our house. And slime. I hate slime.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:28 pm

I hate slime.

Nuge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:44 pm

I also hate slime. We have a ton of bubbles too.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:11 pm

lol, my daughter went through a phase where she was making slime every single day. She still does it, though rarely.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:26 pm

Bubbles, slime, sidewalk chalk (I dont mind it), kinetic sand.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm

First game of spring soccer and my daughter almost scored from midfield again. Put it just over the bar. 3-1 win, and it was great to see the girls actually excited to play after a disastrous winter soccer season.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:02 am

Death to Slime and Kinetic Sand!

Glad to hear NTP, nice that the fun is back.
My daughter has a scrimmage tonight, and a "tryout" to guest pitch Wednesday night for an upcoming tournament during her team's off weekend.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:13 am

Unbelievable - after years of getting my son to remember to pull the trash can out for pickup, I rolled it out for him as he was at a baseball game with friends. I figured he would forget (or not remember) and I would I forget to remind him or be in bed when he got home.

So he gets home and pulls the full trash can back in because he thinks it's already been picked up or something. So our trash doesn't get picked up. :lol:

In his defense, he was out on spring break all last week, so things are a little out of sorts...but grrrrr.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:49 am

I'm a little concerned he couldn't tell it wasn't empty.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:53 am

We are heavy recyclers, so the trash can only had two bags in it. But yeah, he should have noticed that. :lol:

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:02 am

Pretty sure you just called your kid a wuss...

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:11 pm

God forsaken bugs and kids… first lice, now a tick.

Was brushing my daughter’s hair out after her bath and noticed a tick tucked way up in the folds of her ear… upon some googling I’m seeing it called the fossa of anti helix as the term used to describe the location? I dunno, but it had been there unnoticed for a day or two feasting away.

To her credit, she was very calm, cool, and collected about it. I explained step by step what we were going to do and that it might pinch a little, but shouldn’t hurt too bad. We got it out and are sending it to the PA tick lab for academic purposes.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:58 am

You are definitely doing everything right, that is never a fun sight to see on your little one. Could you tell what kind of tick it was?

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:13 am

It was a dog tick, for sure.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:20 am

This was our first basketless Easter.

It was the first time I've ever seen the bunny bring beer.

I can't help but wonder if the kids are old enough to get beer for Easter, if it's not time for them to no longer have the bunny come. But I know Mrs. Franchise's answer so I won't be asking that question out loud.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:40 pm

My daughter walking by my wife while she’s on her iPad:

“Ohhhhhhh!!!! Naked bodies!”

I give a curious look toward my wife…

“IM SHOPPING FOR BRAS!!!”

:lol:

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:47 am

My youngest son passed his road test yesterday. It was very touch and go as we were practicing parallel parking the night before. Heated arguments between my wife, son, and I on the perfect parking method. He had two different instructors tell him how to do it, but also the two of us. Too many chiefs in the kitchen :lol:

Anyway, the parking was fine during the test. One part that I wasn't aware of or remember (and neither did my wife) was the part of backing up out of the shoulder/grass onto the road in your lane. No recollection of that, although I never took a SC road test. I took my road test at the PA DMV course near the Highland Park Bridge (which is now a bike track iirc). He did fine on that, and it's not a bad thing to learn. He does struggle with backing up and turning, but that's something he'll get better at with more experience.

What was nice - with both boys - is they took their driving class with the instructor who administers the test for the SC DMV. Just a lot more comfortable than with a rando DMV employee. Once they pass, the instructor enters it into the DMV system and we go to the DMV to get the actual full license on Monday.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:14 am

What was nice - with both boys - is they took their driving class with the instructor who administers the test for the SC DMV. Just a lot more comfortable than with a rando DMV employee. Once they pass, the instructor enters it into the DMV system and we go to the DMV to get the actual full license on Monday.
They do that in PA now too (they might have always done it, just not in my town). My kids all took their driver test with the teacher they did the in car driving in school with.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:23 am

This was our first basketless Easter.

It was the first time I've ever seen the bunny bring beer.

I can't help but wonder if the kids are old enough to get beer for Easter, if it's not time for them to no longer have the bunny come. But I know Mrs. Franchise's answer so I won't be asking that question out loud.
I'm 36 and I still get an Easter basket lol