5AF Parenting Thread

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah our daughter has a tablet that is very education-focused--she does a mix of watching videos and playing games to practice her letters, etc. on there. We strike a good balance but damn, some days you just don't feel like making an effort :lol:

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:42 pm

School has Teacher In Service Day on Friday. Ronnie Franchise gets tickets for himself and Little Franchise to game vs CBJ on Thursday night.

Ronnie gets email regarding previously unannounced (to me anyway) 5th Grade Orchestra Concert on Thursday night in which LF is supposed to play.

LF wants to go to Pens Game. What would a good parent do?

And why is there a concert scheduled on a night with no school the next day?

Jesus this post reads like a Ron Cook column.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Previously unannounced? I’d be going to the Pens game with my kid.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:52 pm

She may have gotten a sheet about it that she forgot to bring home.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:23 pm

She may have gotten a sheet about it that she forgot to bring home.
May? Good enough for me. Enjoy the game!

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:24 pm

You’re going to that concert, man. :lol:

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:42 pm

I'd probably let my kid pick.

I remember my first pens road game with my uncle.

I couldn't tell you jack about my 5th grade band concert.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:11 pm

I am not going to the concert. I weaseled my way into going to the game with Middle Franchise.

Little Franchise and I are going to 90s night vs Panthers tomorrow with the admonishment that IT’S A SCHOOL NIGHT, SHE BETTER NOT BE GRUMPY THE REST OF THE WEEK.

Need to remember this method of getting to go to back to back games.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 pm

:lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Just finished 3 nights at the in-laws with the little one not sleeping all that well in the pack-n-play that they have. We’re currently holed up in a hotel room with our pack-n-play. She’s snoring super loud while my wife and I allay on the bed just playing on our phones. Hope she sleeps better in a pack-n-play she’s familiar with.

Btw, kid loves the lights of downtown Pittsburgh. She’s amazed by them.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Just finished 3 nights at the in-laws with the little one not sleeping all that well in the pack-n-play that they have. We’re currently holed up in a hotel room with our pack-n-play. She’s snoring super loud while my wife and I allay on the bed just playing on our phones. Hope she sleeps better in a pack-n-play she’s familiar with.

Btw, kid loves the lights of downtown Pittsburgh. She’s amazed by them.
:thumb:

I was so excited to take my daughter to Pittsburgh. It gets even more fun when she gets older.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm

You’re going to that concert, man. :lol:
Middle Franchise woke up sick today. Wife broke it to me and I was sure I was eating the tix and going to the concert.

But no, she said “Why don’t you take your nephew?”

Praise the hockey Gods.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Lil Mac can roll over multiple times.

As evidenced by the shrieks I heard from the bedroom this morning as he lay on the floor. Thing was, when I left him to take a whizz, he was on the bed.

Luckily he landed on the duvet and throw pillows. :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:17 pm

😂

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:19 pm

You know what was completely non-essential when we were growing up? An endless string of communications from school.

I had to get an app for my daughter’s class. I get “e blasts” from the principal. I have 8 million extra programs they’re doing that seem to be designed to bring the lower kids up.

Like...let them socialize and teach them when they’re in class. Let us seek out everything else. We’re grown ups. I really don’t need begging for money and time disguised as an e blast every Sunday afternoon when I’m trying to tune out.

Quit bein’ so eeextra, man.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:34 pm

You know what was completely non-essential when we were growing up? An endless string of communications from school.

I had to get an app for my daughter’s class. I get “e blasts” from the principal. I have 8 million extra programs they’re doing that seem to be designed to bring the lower kids up.

Like...let them socialize and teach them when they’re in class. Let us seek out everything else. We’re grown ups. I really don’t need begging for money and time disguised as an e blast every Sunday afternoon when I’m trying to tune out.

Blame helicopter parents.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I do. And our town has plenty.

My daughter is reading proficiently at 3 grade levels above where she is now (noooooootabigdeal). She enjoys it. We don’t need to force her to read 20 minutes a night at home and hand back progress reports for something called “read across America”. Leave us alone. We got it.

Mrs shmenguin teaches at her school. This is complicated territory.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Exactly

As President of a youth sports league I assure you that there is no level of communication you will not catch hell about. Better to overcomminicate and satisfy helicopter parents who will write a three paragraph diatribe about how they didn’t know something. All you get then is some parents who come up to you and complain about the amount of email they get.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:57 pm

I’d rather have more information than not enough, at the end of the day.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:08 pm

My daughter is reading proficiently at 3 grade levels above where she is now (noooooootabigdeal). She enjoys it. We don’t need to force her to read 20 minutes a night at home and hand back progress reports for something called “read across America”. Leave us alone. We got it.

And to be clear, I completely agree with you. Parents who are already doing what they need, they don't need this. Parents who aren't, don't really pay attention to anything. This just enables a faulty relationship between parents and kids, because parents rely on this instead of making sure they have good communication with their kids.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:15 pm

My oldest is about to enter kindergarten this year. You'd think he's applying for a top secret position in Langley with the amount of paperwork involved. 3 proofs of residency in the district, along with 10 pieces of paperwork to convey the same information. Then there's the 12 pages for enrollment, a lead test, a medical test, a dental test...do you want to know his great grandfather's extracurricular activities as well?

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:24 pm

And to be clear, I completely agree with you. Parents who are already doing what they need, they don't need this. Parents who aren't, don't really pay attention to anything. This just enables a faulty relationship between parents and kids, because parents rely on this instead of making sure they have good communication with their kids.
Yeah. No worries. My wife actually provides the same defense. That if teachers didn’t do this, they’d get complaints.

I don’t get it. We all have a finite cup of time. Our jobs are taking more. Our phones are taking more. And this school nonsense isn’t optional, since you might miss something important. So we’re overflowing and unhappy and nobody thinks it’s a problem.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:05 pm

My daughter has a Leap Frog and there are a bunch of kid-approved YT videos on there. She has been playing "It's Raining Tacos" over and over again. It's from Parry Gripp, the guy that heads Nerf Herder. I have to admit, his other songs are fun and catchy.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Daylight screwed me this morning. Kid woke up screaming at what I thought was 4, but it was really 5, and got another 10 minutes of sleep after that.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:40 pm

This is your first daylight savings time as a parent, right? It bloooooows