5AF Parenting Thread

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:35 pm

So my wife is at 19 weeks and I feel like I haven't done anything yet, we find out the gender here in a few weeks, but is there anything I should be doing before that?
Sounds like you did all you needed to 19 weeks ago. What else is there?
lol fair point.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Morkle, I don't know if you already have the baby shower planned and scheduled, but do it more than a month ahead of the due date. We did ours pretty much exactly a month ahead of the due date, and we had to rush around those next few weeks to get all the clothes washed, the stuff unpacked, things put together, etc. That's about my only piece of advice.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Maybe start digging some horse shoe pits for the guys side of the baby shower?

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Morkle, I don't know if you already have the baby shower planned and scheduled, but do it more than a month ahead of the due date. We did ours pretty much exactly a month ahead of the due date, and we had to rush around those next few weeks to get all the clothes washed, the stuff unpacked, things put together, etc. That's about my only piece of advice.
Bingo. I enjoyed your story about the crap being everywhere. It is a thing of amazement when a diaper explodes.

I remember I had my daughters legs up on the changing table (bad idea in hindsight). She suddenly let a stream of poo go that hit my dog square in the face three feet away.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:21 pm

The sneeze poop rocket that I saw week 2ish was probably the funniest thing I’ve seen in my life.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Yea No plans yet, but will pass to the wife.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Parents at kid sporting events that ultimately have no bearing on real life are the worst.

Worse than Hitler.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:52 am

Parents at kid sporting events that ultimately have no bearing on real life are the worst.

Worse than Hitler.
Agreed. I've pretty much decided that boy or girl, I'm going to try my hardest to make sure my kid A) enjoy what they're doing, B) learning - and we'll just see what happens. I don't want to be the overbearing guy yelling at a coach or ref because my kid didn't play his/her favorite position all game.

Just doesn't seem worth it.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 am

Worse than Hitler.
we had a parent from penn trafford at soccer that was absolutely horrendous. The ref had to stop the game to go over to him and tell him to shut up. At this point, he is actively hurting his kids team because he can't stop running his mouth. On top of that, he has no idea what the actual rules of the game are so he looks even more ridiculous. He does it all game so it gets on your nerve because your're trying to watch your kid play and when you confront him, the other teams parents all jump in and its like you are trying to start something. These are 9 year old kids trying to get better at the game of soccer, let them play the game you **** idiots.

Lemon Berry Lobster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 am

Worse than Hitler.
Agreed. I've pretty much decided that boy or girl, I'm going to try my hardest to make sure my kid A) enjoy what they're doing, B) learning - and we'll just see what happens. I don't want to be the overbearing guy yelling at a coach or ref because my kid didn't play his/her favorite position all game.

Just doesn't seem worth it.
If that doesn't work you can always threaten to crush the ref with those gigantic feet of yours.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 am

I have no issues with constructive criticism coming from parents on the side to their kids, but they have a coach, let him coach.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:14 am

You should see my hands

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am

I have no issues with constructive criticism coming from parents on the side to their kids, but they have a coach, let him coach.
Yup, I'm all about helping the kid after the game and telling him to listen to the coach. I would never want to create a relationship where I'm saying the coach is dumb and not listen. That fosters all kinds of negativity (I coached little league, and it was awful).

I've seen both good and bad from parents, and coaches alike. The coaches that don't want to hear comments at all when they're coaching are absolutely nuts too, and there are just as many of those clowns out there who think they're going to coach pro.

People quickly forget it's about the kids and that's really frustrating.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:20 am

Yup, I'm all about helping the kid after the game and telling him to listen to the coach. I would never want to create a relationship where I'm saying the coach is dumb and not listen. That fosters all kinds of negativity (I coached little league, and it was awful).

I've seen both good and bad from parents, and coaches alike. The coaches that don't want to hear comments at all when they're coaching are absolutely nuts too, and there are just as many of those clowns out there who think they're going to coach pro.

People quickly forget it's about the kids and that's really frustrating.
This is true. I've been on the coaching side as well and learned real fast that it's not for me. I've seen other coaches scream at my wife to the point I was up ready to go. It is truly unbelievable seeing these parents value winning over learning the fundamentals at such a young age.

Lemon Berry Lobster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 am

I know darn well I will either need to do a ton of growing up or I shouldn't go to my kids sporting events, if I ever have any.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:38 am

Yeah. I saw two grown-ass men almost come to blows over a balls-strikes count over the weekend. It was interesting, because until that point (fourth game of the weekend), the tournament had been dadhole-parent free. But that championship game, the dadholes come out. :lol:

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:38 am

Seems like the worst behaved parents are the ones at the youngest levels. I'm not sure if it's because they're new to it and don't know what to expect or if they think they're kids are babies or what, but there seems to be more yelling at refs and coaches at the 4th/5th grade level than any other level.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Today, my daughter informed me that she’s done taking naps, and will start taking them again in high school. :lol:

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 pm

So, my daughter had another machine pitch game last night.
It's actually getting bearable.

While the coaches are on the field (helping the hitter, coaching 1st & 3rd) I'll go over behind the dugout and talk to her about what happened the last half inning and such.
Like "you made a good stop there at third and did a good job getting to the base. Next time though, before the batter steps up look to make sure there's somebody on second."
Or, "you were the second to last batter, and this is the last inning, so you probably won't get to bat again. What can you do in the dugout instead?" "Cheer!"

Just trying to get her to learn and stay involved.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Between taekwondo, soccer, basketball, dance, summer music lessons and kids being on summer break and eating everything all day , man alive are kids expensive.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Seems like the worst behaved parents are the ones at the youngest levels. I'm not sure if it's because they're new to it and don't know what to expect or if they think they're kids are babies or what, but there seems to be more yelling at refs and coaches at the 4th/5th grade level than any other level.
Have mentioned before I am president of our youth soccer org. Was watching a U10 in house game Saturday with the U6 parents watching their game at the field right behind me. One couple was wondering aloud why their daughter wasn’t trying to use her left foot or going to a 50/50 ball.

BECAUSE SHE IS 5 (give or take) YEARS OLD.

Good. God.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Have mentioned before I am president of our youth soccer org.
Bless your heart, I bet you have some good stories about kids parents

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm

5% create 95% of the issues. This spring was remarkably incident free.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Kid got her first set of shots yesterday. Approximate recreation of her reaction to them:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 pm

It only gets worse. Wait until the one year visit. Nurses repel from the ceiling to give your kid a shot.