5AF Parenting Thread

MR25

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MR25 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 am

What was nice - with both boys - is they took their driving class with the instructor who administers the test for the SC DMV. Just a lot more comfortable than with a rando DMV employee. Once they pass, the instructor enters it into the DMV system and we go to the DMV to get the actual full license on Monday.
They do that in PA now too (they might have always done it, just not in my town). My kids all took their driver test with the teacher they did the in car driving in school with.

Back when I was getting mine 16 years ago (holy ****), CCAC offered a Drivers Ed program where you took the test with the instructor of the class. Got to skip the DMV guys (one here was a notorious dadhole) and did not have to complete parallel parking to pass.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:12 pm

You don’t want to wish your kids’ youth away but we only have two more years of having two seasons in a year: Soccer and High School Musical.

After today we enter the two months in between (end of soccer more or less coincides with beginning of musical rehearsal). We call this next 6 weeks improve your grades with all your free time season, so you don’t have to repeat sophomore year. Followed by 2 weeks of vacation before mandatory non mandatory workouts start.

I know many kids do more than this but I don’t know how.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:35 pm

Some kid gave my 6 year old a $100 bill on the bus today. He claims he doesn't know the kid's last name so I can track them down to return it lol

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:43 pm

lol... kids are weird. I got a message today that my kid was playing truth or dare at lunch with some others and there were apparently dares of kissing feet and butts.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:55 pm

I found a $100 bill in my kids backpack like 2 months ago (it was mine) since then all cash is in the safe and I check his backpack every morning lol

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:56 pm

Lil mac has a solid barter network on his bus though. Like he will NOT allow me to take him to school. He has to ride the bus and barter with the kids.

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 pm

My mom's daughter, who is about 11 years old, swiped the $15 tip off the table when my Mom got up to leave the pizza place. She was mortified. :lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 pm

A childhood friend of mine went on this big family disney trip when we were like 12. Apparently his little cousin was snagging all the cash tips left for this big party of like 15 people and hoarded it in his suitcase. There was like $600 all told. His parents were mortified. The grandparents thought it was hilarious.

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 pm

:lol:

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm

My daughter's soccer coach sent out a message to everyone telling us that there would be tryouts for the fall season, which has never happened in the past, and that spots aren't guaranteed. This came about because apparently there are a few teams in the area with not enough girls for a full team. I get it, but honestly, I'm a little annoyed. It sounded like these teams aren't even in our township, and the possibility of one of the girls losing a spot to somebody who doesn't even live in this township pisses me off. I think my daughter will make the team, as she's one of the best two defenders, but you never know. I imagine that other parents aren't happy about this, either.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:58 pm

Once again reaffirming the thought that someone posted here, that the only way to ensure your kid plays is no longer make sure they're the best player but rather you're the coach.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:39 pm

The core of the team has been playing together - spring, fall, and winter - for 2-4 years. It’d just suck to see some of the girls not on the team.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:41 pm

The coach’s daughter is also on the team. She’s a forward, though probably the 3rd of 4th choice looking at the other forwards.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 pm

The core of the team has been playing together - spring, fall, and winter - for 2-4 years. It’d just suck to see some of the girls not on the team.
There’s a catch 22 with this as well. My son is I’d say an above average soccer player. Every year he tries out for the advanced travel team and doesn’t make it. I’ve watched the tryouts and he’s better than most kids. They say every kid has to try out no matter if you were on the advanced team previously or not. But it’s obvious the coaches pick the kids they know.

In a way that makes sense because a 1.5 hour tryout can be deceiving. On the other hand my son gets frustrated because he keeps trying out, does well, but never makes the team. His development falls behind the other kids because of it and just makes it harder for him to move up.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 pm

The all of a sudden tryout was a passive aggressive way my son's baseball coach used to get him off the team. My son basically was done with baseball and it was very evident to the entire team and coaches that his heart wasn't into it. The team played their last game of the season in late June, and when they started to plan for the following fall season, the head coach called for tryouts. This was how my son made that team 2 years before that. I texted the coach and said my son wasn't going to play any longer. He thanked me and wished me the best. Then about ten minutes later, the team group chat announced that tryouts were canceled. :roll: No exaggeration. Then we were removed from the group chat. :lol:

Keep in mind this was in a small town, where everybody knew each other. My wife taught a few of these kids, worked with one of the coach's wives. And still got treated like that.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 pm

There’s a catch 22 with this as well. My son is I’d say an above average soccer player. Every year he tries out for the advanced travel team and doesn’t make it. I’ve watched the tryouts and he’s better than most kids. They say every kid has to try out no matter if you were on the advanced team previously or not. But it’s obvious the coaches pick the kids they know.

In a way that makes sense because a 1.5 hour tryout can be deceiving. On the other hand my son gets frustrated because he keeps trying out, does well, but never makes the team. His development falls behind the other kids because of it and just makes it harder for him to move up.
That’s just a garbage situation. I only missed the cut once when I was younger, and it was 100% due to the coach playing favorites to his kid and their friends, most of whom were not good, and only lasted that one season.

I spoke with the coach tonight after practice to get an idea about what was going on. A few nearby teams had girls that didn’t make the team, and are looking to play. Nobody knows how many, but I think best case is that we add 2-3 good girls to the squad and roll. However, if 10-15 girls show up to tryouts (on top of the current roster), things could get messy. He said he’s not worried about my daughter, but you never know, especially since it’ll be an independent group of coaches making the decision. I’m hoping that the fact that she plays defense works in her favor, too, because not many seem to want to play that position. Tryouts are in the next two weeks.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 pm

DG, I recall you mentioning that story in the past. You’re a better man than I, because I’d have had words with that clown.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 pm

Yeah, I thought about it but ultimately it would have made my wife's work life very difficult. Not worth it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:58 am

What’s the proper course of action here:

After soccer practice was over, I was sitting and chillin in the grass with my kid. We were changing her shoes and just chatting. Beautiful weather n’at.

Some kid comes over with a soccer ball (6 or 7 year old boy) and is about 5 feet from us and kicks the ball just past our heads. I didn’t think anything of it as he was heading the direction of the field. He goes and gets his ball. Gets a little closer, does it again. Goes and gets the ball and turns back to us. I say “hey, bud… can you not do that? You might hit us.”

His response was “yeah! That’s what I’m trying to do!”

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 am

Kick the ball back at him as hard as you can… either you nail him with the ball or you make him have to go really far to chase it.

My guess is he wanted someone to play with and just doesn’t have the social skills to know how to go about it.

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:14 am

Slash the ball and let the air out

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 am

I have a 4 year old on my TeeBall team thats the same way. Tries throwing the ball at my head when my backs turned. Luckily he can't throw for sht. He also truck sticks everyone when they're going for the ball. I've resorted to keeping him beside me and holding him back so he doesn't hurt anyone else. His parents sound like real pieces of work the way they talk to him around other kids too ("stop or I'll beat your @ss kid").

MrKennethTKangaroo

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 am

c2i is just making this post to validate his inner boomer urges to lecture this kid at best or give him the peoples elbow at worst.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:01 am

lol... luckily, I didn't have to really do anything. I was sitting there with one hand in front of my daughter's face, one in front of mine trying to tell him to stop when the mother finally saw what was going on and screamed at him.

It just got me wondering: had she not seen him, what should I have done. I did think about just grabbing the ball so at least his weapon of choice was gone.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 am

Punt that ball to the next county over