5AF Parenting Thread

Viva la Ben

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:57 am

The most horrifying part of potty training was the anxiety I felt whenever toys were flushed down the toilet.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:49 pm

We've toyed with the idea of starting to potty train our 18 month old. He does a lot of positive things like tell us when he has gone, knows the difference between 1 and 2, and wants changed as soon as he does go. We basically waiting for him to understand the urge to go and we will probably jump into it then.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:52 pm

We've toyed with the idea of starting to potty train our 18 month old. He does a lot of positive things like tell us when he has gone, knows the difference between 1 and 2, and wants changed as soon as he does go. We basically waiting for him to understand the urge to go and we will probably jump into it then.
We messed up. Our daughter was ready at 18 months but we were about to have another baby so we held off from going full throttle. It took over a year to get her back to the point where she wanted to use the toilet.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 pm

We messed up. Our daughter was ready at 18 months but we were about to have another baby so we held off from going full throttle. It took over a year to get her back to the point where she wanted to use the toilet.
mrs. meow has brought home horror stories from her daycare parents of similar situations. Same situation, son was ready at 20 or so months, they had another baby and couldn't quite go 100% to train the son, boom, kid is 4 1/2 and still not completely trained.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:01 pm

If anyone is looking for some really cool craft ideas with their kids or great gifts for others, check out

http://www.kiwicrate.com/ and http://koala.kiwicrate.com/ for the youngers.

You can order one or sign up for a monthly mailing. My kids are so excited when a new crate comes each month, they are very well put together and clever. I've been really impressed with everything so far.

This is excellent. Thanks for sharing.
Picked up a couple of these at Target a few months ago. Awesome to see they have a monthly program, not so awesome thinking about what three kids worth cost me :)

EDIT: If either of you want $10 off (and to give me $10 off, lol) you can send me the discount link at my screename @aol.com. Or the other way around if you want.
Last edited by CBear3 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miami Vice

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:04 pm

How do you guys determine what movies are ok for your kids to watch?

When I was little (probably 3 or 4) my mom tried watching ET with me and I was terrified. I just watched it for the first time this week and I thought it was extremely creepy.

I watched a movie review show recently where they made the case that "family" movies in the 80s were much darker - Return to Oz, The Neverending Story, Land Before Time, Labyrinth, Black Cauldron, etc.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Yeah, our daughter is 20 months and starting to get into that zone. The other day, we are downstairs watching TV and she suddenly grabs her crotch and starts going "poop". Before we could get her to a potty, there came #2, but that was pretty awesome that she identified the feeling.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:37 pm

A big problem is training them when they aren't developed enough and really not ready to feel they know they have to go, so don't get discouraged if it's not working at 18 months.

We finished training our last one at 3 and it's been quite nice. The 6 year old still has issues making it through the night, but we just found out he has 98% adenoids blockage and are hoping when that issue is taken care of it may help this. That has been the toughest part because his younger brother can make it through the night and it's slightly embarrassing for him.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:42 pm

When I was little (probably 3 or 4) my mom tried watching ET with me and I was terrified. I just watched it for the first time this week and I thought it was extremely creepy.

I watched a movie review show recently where they made the case that "family" movies in the 80s were much darker - Return to Oz, The Neverending Story, Land Before Time, Labyrinth, Black Cauldron, etc.
I'll watch pretty much anything with my kids that I watched as a kid. The big thing for me is we have a conversation afterwards about what we watched. I try and look at the dates of the movie to plan them out the age I experienced it. I don't want to ruin that first time experience on them when they are too little and might not get the full effect.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:25 pm

I do remember watching Wizard of Oz when I was a kid and having horrible nightmares. ET was slightly scary for me when it first came out, but I think I just closed my eyes during certain parts the first couple of times. Star Wars, on the other hand, never bothered me. Raiders of the Lost Ark was scary whenever the guy's face melted in the end, but otherwise I was OK with it.

It takes a kid a while to separate reality from fantasy, IMO. Movies are very real to them, so at least I am going to be careful with the movies my kid(s) watch until they are much older (8-10).

Craig

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Craig » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:29 pm

How do you guys determine what movies are ok for your kids to watch
How many nights were they unable to sleep afterwards?

Miami Vice

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:36 am

Heres a question not specific to parenting, but to being a parent:

Two of my best friends are expecting children. One of them told me last week that the baby is going to have a cleft pallet. I didnt realize thats why his wife has a small scar on her lip, but she was born that way too. All I could come up with to say is that modern plastic surgery is amazing, and obviously his wife is beautiful, so whatever appearance genes the baby gets from him should be the ones to worry about, not a little scar on the lip.

Likewise with my other friend. I havn't seen him since NFL season ended, and he just told me a few weeks ago hes expecting in August. They have both locked their FB profiles into "read only" (nobody can post to the page). His mom, who always post pictures and whatnot, has said zero about it. When she took a picture of them a few weeks ago the wife was hiding behind a counter so not to give anything away.

I know they are a bit more traditional/private (they didn't plaster the internet with engagement stuff for about a month because they wanted to tell everyone in person) but I'm kind of worried here. I've had plans to go out with him a few times since he told me, and hes postponed every time. So I'm worried for him that there is something wrong with the baby, and I'm not really sure what I'll say if there is.

Saying "im sorry" is what you say when someones dead, so that doesnt sound appropriate. Just looking for a little guidance.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 am

The cleft pallet isn't a big deal. I think they operate on it around 4 months and it takes about a month to heal up.

The second story...do you think they lost the baby or the baby is having complications? I don't quite understand the situation.

Miami Vice

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:51 am

I dont think they lost it, but it just seems strange to me that nobody knows about it, like they are hiding it.

And I guess in general I wouldn't really know what to say if a friend, corworker, family member, anyone told me they were going to have a baby with a condition like down syndrome, cerabral palsy, etc.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:04 am

And I guess in general I wouldn't really know what to say if a friend, corworker, family member, anyone told me they were going to have a baby with a condition like down syndrome, cerabral palsy, etc.
I don't think you have to say anything that you wouldn't if it was a baby born without any conditions. Just support them going forward, I know you will be great parents?

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 am

That's better than the alternative, where a former FB friend of mine posted a picture of their stillborn baby.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 am

That's better than the alternative, where a former FB friend of mine posted a picture of their stillborn baby. My heart pours out with sympathy for these poor people, but that scarred me for a solid month

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:21 am

I have friends who have been oddly silent about their upcoming baby. There is nothing wrong - they're just not announcing anything on FB. My guess is that it's work-related for the mom. She is a high-level lawyer. Lots of $$$ and almost partner. She may be hiding the pregnancy to avoid concern. This could apply to many professional women.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:22 am

I dont think they lost it, but it just seems strange to me that nobody knows about it, like they are hiding it.

This is largely why I just got snipped. We got 2 healthy ones. I couldn't deal with that for a 3rd. It would wreck me and possibly my marriage.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:34 am

It all depends on your relationship with said friend, MV. You could offer your support, whether it be emotional or physical or whatever, but you should mean it. Gauge it off their initial openness to the situation, if it is something they are willing to share, i.e. don't push the subject. If they don't want to talk about it or you don't think you could offer any help, then I would give them their space. If they are willing to talk about it, just try to hear them out and offer any encouragement you can. Lifting them up and encouraging them would go a long way, even if you don't have any practical advice.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 am

This is largely why I just got snipped.
Since this is in my near future, how was this experience?

Tico Rick

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Tico Rick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:40 am

A little off topic, but parents who post pictures of their kids on facebook are essentially robbing them of their privacy. As they grow up, these kids will be able to be identified through facial recognition programs, whether they like it or not. Anonymity is no longer an option in life.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:42 am

We have a strict no social media policy with mini-meow.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 am

This is largely why I just got snipped.
Since this is in my near future, how was this experience?
if both of the following conditions are met, it will be a breeze:
1) your wife is completely on board with it
2) when you get home, you will be allowed to veg out in front of the TV and ice your nards for as long as you want

unfortunately i experienced neither. so while the procedure was uneventful, and the pain afterwards is bearable...let's just say it was a little tense in the shmenguin household with the wife. and then my kids got sick that day, which means instead of basking in doing nothing, i did roughly 90% of my typical duties as diaper changer/child wrangler/meltdown arbiter/etc. it was mentally and physically unruly. but again...i could envision a scenario of me popping percocets and watching movies all day and it would have been glorious.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 am

A little off topic, but parents who post pictures of their kids on facebook are essentially robbing them of their privacy. As they grow up, these kids will be able to be identified through facial recognition programs, whether they like it or not. Anonymity is no longer an option in life.
i don't think things like this will ever affect my kids on a practical level, so i don't really care. they will have their real lives to lives. if their face is in a database, i don't think it will have anything to do with their day-to-day.

my brother in law is funny. he gets pissed if people take cell phone pics of his kids when they're at his house because of the GPS meta data. he thinks this will enable predators to find them. fair enough. i'll abide...though in this case, a phone book will tell said predators the same thing. it's not exactly a secret where people live.