5AF Parenting Thread

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Somebody taught my daughter air quotes, because at dinner tonight she referred to me as “the boss”.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Ha

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:55 pm

I went to a trampoline park with my daughter today, and they have one of these jousting areas. I was toying around with her and making her fall when some kid challenged me and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:31 pm

My Little guy has pneumonia... :(

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Oh man, sorry to hear that. How do they treat pneumonia for kids?

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Augmentin. It’s in liquid form.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:40 pm

We had a 7 pm to 7 am horror session in the ER/hospital/ambulance back in May over pneumonia. It sucks.

Hope all works out.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:56 am

I went to a trampoline park with my daughter today, and they have one of these jousting areas. I was toying around with her and making her fall when some kid challenged me and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

:lol:

Was this place theoretically in Downingtown? We do the joust there and I've had the same thing happen there. I think a big reason why is a lot of parents don't actually participate and just sit around, so when they see a parent actually playing, they gravitate.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:08 am

Nah, that's way out in Chester County. I think this kid was part of a camp group, but he definitely just wanted a reason to swim in the foam blocks.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:56 am

Welp... lil c2i has taken on her mother's anger and hate for the world when hungry. She had a pretty light dinner, and didn't get her snack before bed last night. She woke up at 5:30 this morning while my wife was in the shower, so I went in and got her and brought her into bed with me (which she usually loves and just lays there quietly). She start kicking, punching, screaming. No clue what's going on. My wife takes her downstairs, gives her cereal a small bite of cookie and some milk... boom. Back to happy go lucky lil c2i.

Note to self: feed the beast.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:15 am

We signed our daughter up for the FC Delco Rec League at United Sports outside of Philly. For those unfamiliar, many of these kids have parents that are your typical Main Line mothers that never work and only worry about who is going to be running their Spin class every morning. I volunteered to be an assistant coach; I'm happy to chase down balls, help kids, whatever.

An email comes out with the team rosters last night. I thought that the FC Delco/United Sports folks would actually be coaching the kids, but I find out that for my daughter's team of eight kids, since I was the only assistant coach volunteer and no one signed up for head coach, that makes me the de facto head coach of her team. WTF. I do not want anything to do with this. For starters, my wife is 36 weeks pregnant, so I am probably going to miss a game for that, as well as definitely missing a game down the road. On top of that, when I signed up for assistant coach, that's because I don't want to be the one literally organizing and running the practices, doing drills, corraling all of the kids, and dealing with the withering stares of the Main Line Moms who paid $120 for the program.

I basically just emailed the guy this morning and said I'm happy to be a *true* assistant, but I do not want anything to do with de facto head coaching responsibilities.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 am

To elaborate further on my rant from above. This is what we paid $140 for:
This 8 week program fuels community outreach to get more players involved in the sport of soccer. The program is designed to increase participation and act as a catalyst to get your children active. Team’s will practice once per week (Wednesday or Thursday night) and play games on Saturday mornings!

FC DELCO’s one of a kind curriculum and professional, experienced coaches and trainers is paired with United Sport’s league management expertise in this fun and exciting recreational league. This coalition provides players and families with a truly memorable, prestigious experience.
Reading those two paragraphs, is there anywhere in there that would make you suspect that they are just throwing it to volunteer parents to basically run the show yourself? There is literally zero guidance for this. "Feel free to schedule practices with your teams, good luck!" We paid $140 because we thought their "experienced coaches and trainers" would be running the show, and I would be an assistant to basically just be a helping hand and get involved. WTF.

tjand72

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby tjand72 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 am

I would be just as upset as you are.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 am

I dunno shad. Mark this as a lesson learned. I’d wager that your situation happens half the time with these youth sports things. It sucks, but it is a common occurrence

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 am

A) I'd be upset that I'm not getting what I paid for.

but also

B) I'm paying $75 to coach my daughter's 2nd/3rd grade YMCA team. They gave us 5 balls and those little pop up nets, along with a designated spot to practice once a week. Knowing Delaware county I could see that being $100. If the other parents knew that was all they were getting, I'd definitely give you crap for bailing on your team. Stinking Grad transfers.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 am

Lil mac got augmentin for an ear infection and had to quit, shttin his brains out and almost dehydrated him.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:14 am

Welp... lil c2i has taken on her mother's anger and hate for the world when hungry. She had a pretty light dinner, and didn't get her snack before bed last night. She woke up at 5:30 this morning while my wife was in the shower, so I went in and got her and brought her into bed with me (which she usually loves and just lays there quietly). She start kicking, punching, screaming. No clue what's going on. My wife takes her downstairs, gives her cereal a small bite of cookie and some milk... boom. Back to happy go lucky lil c2i.

Note to self: feed the beast.
lol this is lil mac too. Today, at 6:30, he drank his milk and then kept throwing a fit. My wifes like "hmm, guess maybe we need to start feeding him real breakfast"

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:15 pm

My kid just devoured three puree pouches in about 5 minutes.

He's definitely my kid and he has to be going through a growth spurt.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Well, I coached my first soccer practice tonight. All the kids were 5 and 6. My wife told me I "far exceeded her expectations", so I guess that is good? :lol: I just tried to be positive the whole time. There were tears from three kids...I tried to be as compassionate as possible while also keeping the practice going. All in all, it was physically and emotionally exhausting but I survived :lol:

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Lil mac got augmentin for an ear infection and had to quit, shttin his brains out and almost dehydrated him.
Try probiotics or live cultured yogurt next time. My kid didn’t have any issues using augmentin while eating that.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Well, I coached my first soccer practice tonight. All the kids were 5 and 6. My wife told me I "far exceeded her expectations", so I guess that is good? :lol: I just tried to be positive the whole time. There were tears from three kids...I tried to be as compassionate as possible while also keeping the practice going. All in all, it was physically and emotionally exhausting but I survived :lol:
I remember coaching my youngest sister's U6 team when I was in high school... just make 'em run around and teach them the general rules of the game, and you win. Running is important. Get all that energy out of them for the parents. That's why they bring them there in the first place. :lol:

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:35 pm

I remember coaching my youngest sister's U6 team when I was in high school... just make 'em run around and teach them the general rules of the game, and you win. Running is important. Get all that energy out of them for the parents. That's why they bring them there in the first place. :lol:
Yes, thankfully the parents seem to be super cool. I actually got an email after the practice from a parent apologizing for his son's behavior. That meant a lot.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Try probiotics or live cultured yogurt next time. My kid didn’t have any issues using augmentin while eating that.
Yeah we did that, and it did seem to work once. But the lil kid probiotic is so expensive

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:39 pm

Yeah we did that, and it did seem to work once. But the lil kid probiotic is so expensive
Does your kid like yogurt? Ours loves stoneyfield whole milk yogurt. That works just as well as the probiotic stuff.

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:08 am

I think my kid is getting sick again. I assume it’s normal to be sick a lot from daycare, but getting sick every other week seems kind of ridiculous. I’m starting to wonder how clean this place is or if they don’t send sick kids home.