5AF Parenting Thread

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:13 pm

I just hope the flights are not delayed. The thing that gives me anxiety is all the baggage we're going to have. 2 car seats, a stroller, 2-3 suitcases.. that's a lot for 2 adults to wrangle, in addition to a toddler and infant. We'll manage I'm sure but I'll be ready for a beer by the time we get there :lol:
Delays were my biggest worry as well. Southwest already cancelled our original plans, and with college spring break being a disaster, and us traveling on our kids' spring break, I was expecting the worst. No issues for us at all, though.

Our two boys are 6 and 8, so they were able to help with luggage. We had the exact same as you, with everybody except my daughter taking a backpack on the plane.

We did Yellowstone when my boys were 1 and 3, and it was really rough. 2 car seats, stroller, hiking backpack to carry the 1 year old, 2 big suitcases, and I believe 2 smaller carry on suitcases. The kids were too young to help. Our flight from DFW to Jackson Hole was cancelled so we had to spend the night. In the end it all worked out - a bit of a hassle to move all the luggage around, but give yourself enough time and you'll be fine.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:16 pm

The first time we flew to Maui with our daughter, my wife and I were a wreck. 11 hours is a lot of time to be in the are with a 3 and a half year old. She was a **** champ, though.

Also, FWIW, gate check your stroller/car seat/etc. It's so much easier than bringing it onto the plane or checking it. We did that for our car seat all the time, and it was great. We have something similar to this:

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:40 pm

Yes, we have 3 ticketed passengers on southwest so we had planned on curbside check for everything but a carry on or two.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:37 pm

I’m 2018, I was in my seat waiting for my wife and daughter to board. Most of the plane had boarded, and then I heard my daughter over the loudspeaker making an announcement about the flight. It was adorable.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:20 pm

Wife and daughter are visiting inlaws this weekend, I'm home with semi sick son.

Video chatted my daughter for twenty minutes and then sent messages through my wife's account for ten more. It is honestly jarring how much older she seems when she is texting/messaging. Nothing edgy or mature, but just chats like a grown up. It's pretty cool how well she communicates in that medium, not that she doesn't do well in person.

She did send me a 20 second audio file of her singing a song for me...those are the moments you live for.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:36 pm

My first born never once pooped or peed during a diaper change.

My second son does it once a day.

I guess this is just a preview of things to come.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:23 pm

Haha, this sounds like me.

My son probably peed during a change less than 5 times and had maybe 2 diaper blowouts his entire life in 3+ years.

My 4 1/2 month daughter...at least half a dozen times in the first couple of months and at least half a dozen diaper blowouts to date. If she's sitting and pooping, it's going everywhere.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:13 am

Tee ball vent.

Today was opening day at 9am. There are 3 tee ball teams. Only two showed up today for the ceremonies... The other team is comprised entirely of soccer players also, who have soccer every Saturday. The coach of that team is also a soccer coach.

We have to wait until 1pm to play, because the other team needs their soccer in. Also being that there are 3 teams, one teams playing a double header today... Guess what team. Yep the one of all soccer players. And they just called us to mention they probably won't be able to field an entire team so it's likely that we will play the other team that was at opening ceremonies anyway.

The presidents kid is on our team and I'm not faulting him but it seems like he just gave in/didn't care to the soccer team coach. It's just frustrating how her raising a fit to play later in the day, then possibly not even showing, and also having a double header, has inconvenienced the literal rest of the league. I guess this is the fun part of youth athletics. Yay

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:10 pm

You can’t get frustrated after your very first youth sport experience. It’s too long of a haul to get your jimmies rustled now

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:18 am

It's PSSA week at my daughter's elementary school. Five whole days of testing, with lunch for her grade pushed back to 1:35pm.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 am

Standardized testing is a scam and waste of time. Change my mind.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:22 am

I honestly don't even recall what the PSSAs were like when I was a kid.

skullman80

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:24 am

I don't even remember if we did those. Are those the ones with the ovals you have to darken in?

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 am

Tee ball vent.

Today was opening day at 9am. There are 3 tee ball teams. Only two showed up today for the ceremonies... The other team is comprised entirely of soccer players also, who have soccer every Saturday. The coach of that team is also a soccer coach.

We have to wait until 1pm to play, because the other team needs their soccer in. Also being that there are 3 teams, one teams playing a double header today... Guess what team. Yep the one of all soccer players. And they just called us to mention they probably won't be able to field an entire team so it's likely that we will play the other team that was at opening ceremonies anyway.

The presidents kid is on our team and I'm not faulting him but it seems like he just gave in/didn't care to the soccer team coach. It's just frustrating how her raising a fit to play later in the day, then possibly not even showing, and also having a double header, has inconvenienced the literal rest of the league. I guess this is the fun part of youth athletics. Yay
As a former soccer coach and club president I am glad to hear this since it seems like it is soccer they usually blow off.

It will get worse. Wait till the fall when all the football players and/or cheerleaders start blowing stuff off because NOTHING takes priority over that.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:46 am

I don't even remember if we did those. Are those the ones with the ovals you have to darken in?
Yup... I graduated high school in '05. I took the CAT test in 4th grade, PSSAs (math, reading, writing) in 7th and 11th grade.

I think they've since moved toward PSSA testing in 3-8, and then "Keystone" exams in secondary schooling.

Back when I did them, yeah, they were all ovals you'd darken in except for the writing portion. I remember them being exhausting because I put a lot of effort into them only to realize afterwards they didn't mean anything and a ton of people just blew them off.

When I was teaching high school ('09-'11) I had a good number of the 11th graders who at the time also had to take a science PSSA. I spent pretty much a full month reviewing 8-11th grade science stuff to prepare them for the exam. It was so stupid.

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:44 am

Scantron? The standard for standardized tests?

skullman80

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:53 am

Maybe? I remember in elementary school and maybe middle school doing those once a year or so? I graduated high school in '01...and I honestly can't remember what was all standardized back then. I remember taking the SAT's in highschool but nothing really beyond that.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:03 pm

Tee ball vent.

As a former soccer coach and club president I am glad to hear this since it seems like it is soccer they usually blow off.

It will get worse. Wait till the fall when all the football players and/or cheerleaders start blowing stuff off because NOTHING takes priority over that.
I think you're missing the point of my rant, not meant to be a sport vs sport thing. Baseball opening day is the only Saturday there are games all season... Because of soccer. But that really isn't even the basis of my vent. It's the fact that this coach arranged 3 teams worth of games around herself and then didn't even field a complete team to play her two games. If they have soccer, fine. Just let the 2 teams that do have complete rosters play each other on opening day and you start your season on Tuesday when you'll have enough players. It's kind of crazy to expect 6u kids to play 1 soccer and 2 teeball games in one day anyway.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Oh well, it's water under the bridge at this point and lil mac went 3 for 3 and got the game ball :lol:
I mean the entire team went 3 for 3 also but. :shrug:

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:11 pm

Maybe? I remember in elementary school and maybe middle school doing those once a year or so? I graduated high school in '01...and I honestly can't remember what was all standardized back then. I remember taking the SAT's in highschool but nothing really beyond that.
I do remember taking the California Achievement Test in third grade. Then eventually PSSAs, PSAT, SAT, LSAT...

Oh, and the ASVAB. ;)

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:20 pm

First ever carseat puke yesterday (probably). Fortunately/unfortunately depending how you look at it, it was less than 1 minute from our destination.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Tee ball vent.

I think you're missing the point of my rant, not meant to be a sport vs sport thing. Baseball opening day is the only Saturday there are games all season... Because of soccer. But that really isn't even the basis of my vent. It's the fact that this coach arranged 3 teams worth of games around herself and then didn't even field a complete team to play her two games. If they have soccer, fine. Just let the 2 teams that do have complete rosters play each other on opening day and you start your season on Tuesday when you'll have enough players. It's kind of crazy to expect 6u kids to play 1 soccer and 2 teeball games in one day anyway.
No, I get it. People have these little kids scheduled for way too much stuff. I'm not an advocate for specializing in one sport at a young age but one game a day is plenty.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:27 pm

First ever carseat puke yesterday (probably). Fortunately/unfortunately depending how you look at it, it was less than 1 minute from our destination.
Just awful. Get all of it because the smell doesn't go away if you don't lol.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 pm

White vinegar is your friend there, and lots of it.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:35 pm

My son barfed on the way to the hospital after he smashed his finger in the door. I just used dish soap, but it also wasn't my car. Seemed to do a decent job.

Just yesterday my daughter decided to poop in her diaper then ride down the stairs on her butt. Vinegar, water and dish soap got rid of the skid marks and any smell.