5AF Parenting Thread

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 am

I remember when our pediatrician recommended the flavorless pedialite for when the kids were younger....I guess taste buds don’t really work at that young of an age.
My kids loved the pedialite popsicles.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm

He has GERD, and any formula we give him, he immediately spits up until his next feed, where he restarts the process, thus he's not gaining weight, which opens a door of new problems.
Our daughter didn't have full-blown GERD but has had reflux her whole life.

The only advice I can offer is as tempting as it is, don't let him fall asleep while or right after he's eating. Keep him upright for a solid half an hour after. A little bit of rice cereal mixed in can help ease that too. he's over four months now, no?

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm

He turned 4 months last week. We have a Dr. Appointment on Wednesday and that's exactly what we're going to ask in regards to rice cereal.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:57 pm

Lil mac has bronchitis , so that's fun.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:10 pm

Bronchiolitis (not sure if there's a difference)

And now he has his top teeth coming thru. Poor guy

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:32 pm

There's a major difference. My daughter had bronchiolitis, and it was brought on by RSV. I think at least half of all bronchiolitis cases actually stem from RSV, if I recall correctly. RSV put my daughter in DuPont Children's Hospital for 3 days on oxygen because her O2 saturation levels kept crashing.

Seriously, keep a very, VERY close eye on his breathing. She went in the hospital shortly after her first birthday.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:34 pm

More lil Miss Franchise hockey talk:

“Dad were you watching when that guy for the Bruins flew over the St Louis Blues?”

“You mean Bobby Orr?”

“Yeah, Number 4 Bobby Orr.”

“No I was too little.”

Also announced she is working on her voice so she can have Mike Lange’s job when he retires.

Proud dad.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Ask her to come up with some catch phrases for Penguin goals and report back to us.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:07 pm

My kid is 2 weeks away from 1 year old and still zero teeth.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:17 pm

That’s not totally abnormal. My niece didn’t get her first tooth until she was around 14 months.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 pm

There's a major difference. My daughter had bronchiolitis, and it was brought on by RSV. I think at least half of all bronchiolitis cases actually stem from RSV, if I recall correctly. RSV put my daughter in DuPont Children's Hospital for 3 days on oxygen because her O2 saturation levels kept crashing.

Seriously, keep a very, VERY close eye on his breathing. She went in the hospital shortly after her first birthday.
Thanks. Yeah we've been keeping a real close eye. I stayed home with him today to have a closer eye. He is happy and playful just gets coughing and sometimes is hard to stop. I think the worst is behind us now, at least I hope.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:52 pm

That’s not totally abnormal. My niece didn’t get her first tooth until she was around 14 months.
Oh, I'm not concerned... I know they pop through in a range of ages. She was just so far ahead of the curve on most everything else, that it's been odd to see her on the late side of development with anything.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:05 pm

Ask her to come up with some catch phrases for Penguin goals and report back to us.
She wanted “Holy guacamole!” Explained that is already a thing.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Thanks. Yeah we've been keeping a real close eye. I stayed home with him today to have a closer eye. He is happy and playful just gets coughing and sometimes is hard to stop. I think the worst is behind us now, at least I hope.
Our daughter, God bless her, was a happy, playful little kid right up until she went. I remember the horrible nights hearing her cough all night and wanting so badly for her to be comfortable. Good luck.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:07 am

What made me kind of mad was the doctor was like 'not much we can do keep an eye on it if he gets worse call'...

if there's not much you can do now what are you gonna do if it gets worse?

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:47 am

I absolutely love talking hockey with my son. Yesterday I stopped at Dick's for his Learn to Play Hockey equipment. When I came home, it was like Christmas. My wife is going to have a hard time keeping him from running around the house in his pads today.

My 3 year old was so sad when I had to tell him there was nothing for him. Poor little dude. He's at that age now where everything big brother does, he wants to do.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:56 am

What made me kind of mad was the doctor was like 'not much we can do keep an eye on it if he gets worse call'...

This infuriates me because we're dealing with it right now. The doctor today say they want to do some gastro analysis because our kid isn't gaining weight. His neck strength isn't good enough because of his tummy time consists of vomiting on himself, so he doesn't get it as much as he should.

This happens I would imagine, frequently, but damned if I know because nobody gives us a straight answer on how to solve any of it.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:02 am

This infuriates me because we're dealing with it right now. The doctor today say they want to do some gastro analysis because our kid isn't gaining weight. His neck strength isn't good enough because of his tummy time consists of vomiting on himself, so he doesn't get it as much as he should.

This happens I would imagine, frequently, but damned if I know because nobody gives us a straight answer on how to solve any of it.
lil mac had torticollis and was diagnosed around a month or two old. They referred us to Fayette County's early intervention team. He now has a therapist that comes every Wednesday to the house to do stretches, help him crawl to toys, and movements to strengthen his neck. He was getting a flat spot on his head because of sleeping on the one side all the time. We just re-upped another session, and hoping to avoid a helmet. Maybe there is something similar your pediatrician can recommend. This is all at no cost to us.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:03 am

iirc you're in westmoreland county? Looks like it's here: https://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/1185/ ... tervention

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am

lil mac had torticollis and was diagnosed around a month or two old. They referred us to Fayette County's early intervention team. He now has a therapist that comes every Wednesday to the house to do stretches, help him crawl to toys, and movements to strengthen his neck. He was getting a flat spot on his head because of sleeping on the one side all the time. We just re-upped another session, and hoping to avoid a helmet. Maybe there is something similar your pediatrician can recommend. This is all at no cost to us.
So the bright spot is that he doesn't have a flat spot, he favors one side more than the other, little dude just doesn't get to do tummy time as much as he should.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Our daughter had torticollis and plagiocephaly, resulting in both physical therapy and a helmet (which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be). You'll definitely want to find ways for him to get tummy time, because you could wind up going the PT route.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:46 pm

Soooo....my wife and I are gonna be blessed with a second child in September. It's not Facebook official yet (and won't be for another month probably), but I figure I can tell yinz ;)

I'm very happy. We didn't know if we would be able to so exciting times. Our daughter will turn 6 a month after this one is born.

Viva la Ben

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Congrats man!

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Our daughter had torticollis and plagiocephaly, resulting in both physical therapy and a helmet (which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be). You'll definitely want to find ways for him to get tummy time, because you could wind up going the PT route.
So that's on the table right now, if he doesn't improve in a month it's PT - and I have no idea what is associated with that.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Congrats, NN!