5AF Parenting Thread

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:29 am

I think my kid is getting sick again. I assume it’s normal to be sick a lot from daycare, but getting sick every other week seems kind of ridiculous. I’m starting to wonder how clean this place is or if they don’t send sick kids home.
So our pediatrician said if they're in daycare or Kindergarten, expect 12-14 illnesses per year on average. I was stunned by that number. My son was fine for three days in daycare when school started and has a cold already.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am

I think my kid is getting sick again. I assume it’s normal to be sick a lot from daycare, but getting sick every other week seems kind of ridiculous. I’m starting to wonder how clean this place is or if they don’t send sick kids home.
So our pediatrician said if they're in daycare or Kindergarten, expect 12-14 illnesses per year on average. I was stunned by that number. My son was fine for three days in daycare when school started and has a cold already.
Yep, my kids sick about once a month. It's a cycle. He gets it, I get it, my wife gets it, then he gets it, etc etc.

We're going for ear tubes today.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 am

A) Yes, its pretty normal especially in the early years.
B) Usually the daycare will send kids home any chance they get, it's the parents who bring them in sick. Then it's at least four hours of exposure until the day care decides they're actually sick and not just having a bad day, and then getting a hold of the parents to come get them.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:12 am

That’s nuts. I guess we dodge some bullets. My kids are almost never sick.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 am

A) Yes, its pretty normal especially in the early years.
B) Usually the daycare will send kids home any chance they get, it's the parents who bring them in sick. Then it's at least four hours of exposure until the day care decides they're actually sick and not just having a bad day, and then getting a hold of the parents to come get them.
I originally griped about this, but after knowing how much I spend a week, and me getting charged regardless - absolutely they go to daycare if I think they're sick or not.

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 am

When our kid has been sick we don’t take him in. I’d rather not screw other people to have to use sick days.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:32 am

Yea we don't get sick days at day-care or anything. If he's truly ill, he'll stay home like Pink-eye, but if he's only showing a slight fever, etc. I gladly take that risk.

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 am

Yea we don't get sick days at day-care or anything. If he's truly ill, he'll stay home like Pink-eye, but if he's only showing a slight fever, etc. I gladly take that risk.
We don’t get sick days either. We have to pay 1,100 dollars a month regardless of whether he is there 1 day or 5 days a week.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am

The same price, even the "vacation" is we get half-price. It's obscene how badly daycare has you by the balls.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 am

Ditto. I have 3 vacation and 3 sick days a year. Translates to 2 weeks. He goes to daycare unless deathly ill and usually they don't send him home unless he has a fever. Sorry not sorry.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 pm

That’s nuts. I guess we dodge some bullets. My kids are almost never sick.
The first two years of my daughter's life were awful. Shortly after she turned 1, a persistent cough eventually turned into RSV that resulted in an ambulance ride to DuPont in Delaware for a three night stay until her O2 came back up. Their team of doctors, which are fantastic, treated her for reflux that was causing the pulmonary issues, and once she went on daily reflux medicine, she rarely got sick again.

One area where we have been lucky is stomach stuff. My daughter has had a grand total of ONE really bad stomach bug, and even with that she was able to get to the bathroom to throw up. We've never had to clean up anything, knock on wood.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:42 pm

The same price, even the "vacation" is we get half-price. It's obscene how badly daycare has you by the balls.
True, but in the same breath I feel bad for daycare workers. What are they getting paid, $10/hr max? These people must really love kids.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:43 pm

You don’t get to make your own rules here. If he’s over 100, you wait till 24 hours of being under 100 before he goes back. Snot is fine. Puke isn’t.

Infecting other children because you, personally, have a problematic work schedule isn’t kosher.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Source of the post Infecting other children because you, personally, have a problematic work schedule isn’t kosher.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:07 pm

You don’t get to make your own rules here. If he’s over 100, you wait till 24 hours of being under 100 before he goes back. Snot is fine. Puke isn’t.

Infecting other children because you, personally, have a problematic work schedule isn’t kosher.
I mean, arguably that's just not realistic. He can have a fever of 100 the night before and be fine the next day showing no symptoms. I've never had my child vomiting at daycare yet.

I'm not going to stay at home when my child has a normal temperature after a night of potentially 100 when it could be anything from teething to actual sickness.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Let's be clear, there's a difference between being sick...and "sick." I'm merely speaking of the, cough, runny nose, variety. But even then, we've taken him when he had a fever of 100 the day before on an occasion due to what I described above.

I'm not taking this kid if he's showing signs of pink-eye, vomiting, or severe sickness. The most our son has had is ear infections and pink eye, and pink eye was an auto call.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:10 pm

I mean, arguably that's just not realistic. He can have a fever of 100 the night before and be fine the next day showing no symptoms. I've never had my child vomiting at daycare yet.

I'm not going to stay at home when my child has a normal temperature after a night of potentially 100 when it could be anything from teething to actual sickness.
Ok. But this is standard protocol for pretty much every school and daycare in America and your situation is not so special that you get to buck it because of your seemingly very standard lifestyle.

Parenting is hard. Largely because of all the things you have to do against your better judgement. Keeping your contagious kid at home even when they seem fine is one of those things.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Ok. But this is standard protocol for pretty much every school and daycare in America and your situation is not so special that you get to buck it because of your seemingly very standard lifestyle.
But that's what I'm saying, you literally make judgement calls every single day. Scolding me for a seeming decision that happens infrequently leaves me with a response of "OK", and in my mind, I'm largely willing to believe this is something that every parent has done at some point in their lives.

Coming across holier than thou here seems weird.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm

But that's what I'm saying, you literally make judgement calls every single day. Scolding me for a seeming decision that happens infrequently leaves me with a response of "OK", and in my mind, I'm largely willing to believe this is something that every parent has done at some point in their lives.

Coming across holier than thou here seems weird.
this isn't a judgement call. it's extremely clear cut and clinical. 24 hours of less than 100 degrees. otherwise, you're home for another day with the kid.

i'm holier than thou because you're f'ing things up for other people, because this aspect of parenting is personally inconvenient for you. you don't have a justifiable point of view here. it's irritating, as a person who manages to follow this rule - even at my own peril.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:39 pm

I can safely say, that I'm a "new" parent, and I'll do better next time if it happens, but I really don't believe that you haven't done something like this at least once in life. I would wager almost every parent has done something like this before, whether they want to admit it or not.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm

In other news, my kid got bit at daycare today.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 pm

This rule, we follow. Plenty of other things, we bend on.

I wouldn’t get on your case if this was just a stray, new parent whoopsie. Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but you seem to be fine with this judgement call approach as a long term plan.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:52 pm

This rule, we follow. Plenty of other things, we bend on.

I wouldn’t get on your case if this was just a stray, new parent whoopsie. Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but you seem to be fine with this judgement call approach as a long term plan.
My wife makes 95% of the health related calls for a reason. I can say we’ve maybe only done it once back when he was like 5 months old and it was the issue I described above.

I’ve never met any parent who follows any rule 100% of the time. It’s why I just don’t believe that you’ve never bent. Things happen, stuff gets missed, that’s human nature.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 pm

My kids got sick in daycare maybe 4-5 times a year for the first three years. Then it got better and better. By the time they were in school, they rarely got sick. I think it built up a lot of immunities.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 pm

my son was mr. sinus infection last year. we got his tonsils and adenoids out in may. hopefully that helps.