Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:08 pm

C2 is a winner

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

No one gives a poop about colors of newborn clothing. If they do they either don’t have kids or are a moron.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

+1 for poop colored newborn clothing.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

If you need poop colored clothing, you need to move to the next size up diaper

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

4 month sleep regression is real. Sooooo tired.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm

If you need poop colored clothing, you need to move to the next size up diaper

bingo. if you even think there's a small chance that your kid is ready to diaper up or go into the next size clothes - it's time. especially with diapers. like...don't even think about it.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Pro tip: Use the Target app (Cartwheel, specifically) when you buy anything at Target. I rarely paid full price for the more expensive items like diapers and wipes because of how often they were on sale both in the store and in the app. And when you buy the same thing enough times, Target will start sending you coupon packs in the mail for literally every item you’ve purchased multiple times over the course of a few months. This goes for more than just baby stuff.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm

4 month sleep regression is real. Sooooo tired.
I forgot about this. We are at 12 weeks now.

Ffffffffffffff

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:31 pm

"But, c2i, everything should be gender neutral!" Shut up, I don't care... and neither does a child at an age they'll never remember.
This brought a tear to my eye.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Welp... the little one is a girl. From everyone I've talked to girls are wayyyyyy easier as little kids, but are worse during puberty. I'll take it.

columbia

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Welp... the little one is a girl. From everyone I've talked to girls are wayyyyyy easier as little kids, but are worse during puberty. I'll take it.
@Factoral :slug:

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm

I've had a mix. One daughter hardly takes any effort to parent, the other all my sanity. One son is more difficult than the other, but all 4 of them are fun in their own ways.

Potty training girls is also way easier, and simpler.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm hoping (and completely aware that it doesn't make any sense) that the anatomy scan is a sign of what's to come. The ultrasound tech said that was one of if not the easiest child she's ever done a scan of. We were done in about 15 minutes. She said some the kid is very uncooperative (obviously not intentionally) and it can take upwards of an hour.

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm glad we had our hardest first, made it easier to have more. ;)

What I always joke about her is that she has a lot of great qualities that are going to make her a fantastic adult, which subsequently make her a very frustrating child at times. :)

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Source of the post What I always joke about her is that she has a lot of great qualities that are going to make her a fantastic adult, which subsequently make her a very frustrating child at times.
:thumb:

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Went and did some registering at target... they have a welcome thing similar to the Amazon box we got. Lots of coups, free samples, etc. Pretty neat.

Also, I'm pretty sure my sister is fuming over this entire situation. She was so excited to have the first grandchild for my parents when we talked this past summer because she said that she and her wife were going to start IVF treatment for her wife. We didn't tell her we were going to start trying too, and we ended up having a due date 6 weeks ahead of her's. Then we found out we're both having girls. Then my younger sister asked if we had a name picked out.... we've had a name picked out for a year or so now. Turns out the first name that we're using for our little one is what she wants for her daughter's middle name. Oh lawd, I would love to be a fly on that wall. She's always been overly dramatic and lets things that really shouldn't bother her bug her to no end. My younger sister told me she's "kind of upset" about it. I'd feel bad if it wasn't such a ridiculous thing to be upset about.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:02 pm

*ahem*

F her.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:04 pm

*ahem*

F her.
lolol... that's what I've been saying to my wife. She wants to call her and talk it over and whatnot... no. She's being a child. Let her stew.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

i get it. there are like 1 or 2 kids per class that have allergies. so we don't want to re-structure how the world works to accommodate such an extreme minority. but also, f*** this - the food that should be eaten at school is snack + lunch. no birthday treats, no thanksgiving feasts no kid who brings in donuts just because. it's going to stop someday. maybe move it along a litter faster, eh? not convinced? ok...

children are dying because of this. lives are ruined because of supplementing actual education with unnecessary food. for the purpose of...? anyone? and schools are still not taking it seriously. and worse - they THINK they're taking it seriously. meaning they only skim ingredient lists and they use the same knife to cut all the treats, and they are totally clueless on what this is doing emotionally to those kids who are constantly excluded.

"but shmenguin, your kid has an allergy. you're bias"...god damn right. if my kid dies because a teacher would rather block off their morning with "Food + easy adoration" instead of "teach stuff", what then?

"yeah but it's not likely, and it's just one kid out of 20". so what. food is not part of school. you want food? wait until lunch. you want more? bring a snack. you want fun? do other fun sh!t that isn't related to candy.

i'm fed up with this nonsense. my daughter's current school can't god damn help itself. they're even doing a school wide cookie exchange. because that's a thing, apparently. kids should not only get fatter with supplemental junk food, but they should also give their homemade garbage to other kids. great plan.

last year, she was in a school that had zero shared food. they didn't provide it for parties and they didn't allow kids to bring food in for birthdays. and you know what? nobody cared. because they're little kids and can be distracted by other things.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 pm

So my oldest got accepted to college on Friday, he is going to go to RIT in Rochester.

Wow do I feel old and broke.

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Congrats!

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 pm

That's fantastic! A friend from work graduated from there last year, and she loved it.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:27 am

RIT has a beautiful campus. Their new ice rink is awesome.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 am

So DG 66 Jr. is being a bit of a dadhole. I mentioned this before, but his behavior changed IMMEDIATELY on his first day of middle school back in August. The night before, he was a sweet kid...he came home from school the next day sullen and moody. It's like they had a class where they learned how to backtalk and be an dadhole. :lol:

He mostly settled down and has done really well in school so far. He wants more privileges - later bedtimes, a phone, play some M-rated video games, and so on. So, we began giving him things here and there.

We have a strict no video games policy during the school week, because both boys get all-consumed by games and won't play outside, eat dinner, do anything else. It's tough monitoring it with both kids having iPhones and iPods and wanting to listen to music all the time (which I did in middle school, on a Walkman :lol:)

So we found DG 66 Jr.'s old iPod under his bed with a charger and headphones, meaning he was using it at night. During the week. He of course lied about it, which my wife caught him on it instantly (she has a great sixth sense for lies after being a teacher for 20+ years). So he has no phone and electronics through the week and into the weekend. He was very upset - at us for the punishment, not at his own actions. He wants more privileges, but doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

I dread when he becomes a real teenager. :cry:

Viva la Ben

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am

I am having the same issues with two eleven year olds.