Postby mac5155 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 pm

So our daycare is closing in 4 weeks.

This is fine.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 am

This is fine.
That really sucks, especially if you have one that you really like. Did they say why?

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:51 am

This is fine.
That really sucks, especially if you have one that you really like. Did they say why?
Owner gave a sappy note about moving to preschool and kindergarten only, citing worker availability. It's a crock honestly. She could probably pay her employees more (and thusly raise rates a few bucks) but chose to jusy leave us in the lurch instead.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:32 pm

The licensing for younger kids is pretty stringent, so they might have needed expensive renovations or additional staff.

My kids daycare needed to put an exhaust hood, which was difficult to do in a converted basement of a house.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 pm

The licensing for younger kids is pretty stringent, so they might have needed expensive renovations or additional staff.

My kids daycare needed to put an exhaust hood, which was difficult to do in a converted basement of a house.
She could come oit and say that then.

The reasoning was "she's had 25 call offs this year" among other staff related things.

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 am

Had the first ultrasound yesterday. Little om'elette is doing well and it's a twitchy little thing. Moves around a lot.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:38 am

New room at daycare today...

Tough drop off for dad.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:44 am

Speaking of daycares... we (along with like 15 other kids) are trying to get into the next closest daycare facility now that ours is closing. And we're just stuck in limbo waiting to see if the owner of said daycare can spin up another room, teachers, etc to handle an onset of 15-25 more kids. Luckily, we were told we were one of the first 'young toddlers' to call - most of the ones she's getting are 2+ years old.

Here's to hoping we are in there by Feb 24.

I really hope the owner of our current daycare realizes how terribly she is handling this.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:45 am

Source of the post I really hope the owner of our current daycare realizes how terribly she is handling this.
Would you stay if she changed her mind, though? I'd be looking regardless at this point.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:51 am

Source of the post I really hope the owner of our current daycare realizes how terribly she is handling this.
Would you stay if she changed her mind, though? I'd be looking regardless at this point.
Definitely not. At this point I wish I could pull my kid out immediately. And 3-4 other parents who we are friends with feel the same way. My cousin's wife actually works there and is losing her job along with one other girl - coincidentally, both are 6 months pregnant... I'd be telling her to find a lawyer ASAP.

Can't remember if I've put these details out there or not, but the daycare owner is being extremely short sided if she wants to actually remain in business. She's reducing staff and only doing 3-5 year old preschool/pre-K. So anyone under 3 is SOL for now. I think she is under the impression these 2+ year olds will come back to her when they turn 3. I don't know about anyone else, but we absolutely will not be - we will stay where we end up now.

I have a friend who has a 5, 3, and 1 year old. So he has to take his 1 year old out of her program. Guess what - he's also taking the 3 and 5 year old out now too (the 5 year old is done in August anyway, but still) because why would he drive to two daycares?

It's just going to be a terrible business move for her. If she truly doesn't care about the business side then, maybe it's not a big deal to her. But within 2 years I can't see a way her Center will still exist.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:53 am

Yeah, she's kidding herself if she thinks that parents won't view this negatively and start looking elsewhere.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 am

I've only talked to one person who didn't get upset and he is of the impression his kid - who turns 3 in May - will be granted an exception. Which I highly doubt will happen. Because even though he turns 3 in May, he wouldn't be transitioned to preschool until August.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 am

While I think it's shortsighted, there's probably a belief that there's enough kids to keep it sustainable. It's not like kids stop being born, there's an infinite supply mostly, and given that day care is hard to get in to depending on location, it might not even be that bad.

That all being said, that's a clown shoes operation, but I don't doubt that she'll have people looking for placement.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:57 am

Source of the post It's not like kids stop being born
This wouldn't help them, though. They're basically saying "go find another daycare for your kid from infant-4 years old and then you can switch from your established provider care to us for 2 years!"

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:05 am

I get that, but I'd still bet that even in the short-term, there's people looking for service in that age range.

Certainly goes against the start at infant and grow, but I bet they'll find what they need.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 am

Best of luck to her, yeah. Not getting any more of my $$ than necessary :lol:

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm

My daughter must be going through her rebellious kindergarten phase now. Instead of yelling I try and just respond by calmly talking to her and telling her she is going to start losing things. It seems to be working...kind of.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 pm

Anyone ever have to have your kid’s dentist use oral conscious sedation before? My daughter has a small cavity on a molar (came in that way), and absolutely refused to open her mouth at the dentist today despite getting laughing gas. I refuse to go the anesthesia route because I believe that’s too much a risk for the procedure.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:09 pm

Anyone ever have to have your kid’s dentist use oral conscious sedation before? My daughter has a small cavity on a molar (came in that way), and absolutely refused to open her mouth at the dentist today despite getting laughing gas. I refuse to go the anesthesia route because I believe that’s too much a risk for the procedure.
I work for the largest pediatric dental organization in the state. FWIW, some pediatric dentists actually prefer to NOT go the oral sedation route because they feel it is in a less controlled environment. We operate several pediatric surgery centers where we provide general anesthesia dentistry for children. In that setting, you have an anesthesiologist, CRNA, team of PACU RNs, etc.

PM me if you have questions, I'm intimately familiar with this stuff through work and knowing a lot of pedo dentists so happy to provide more info!

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 am

First off:
Source of the post pedo dentists
Nonono.

So they actual prefer general anesthesia over oral sedation? That just sounds wacky to me.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:48 am

First off:
Source of the post pedo dentists
Nonono.

So they actual prefer general anesthesia over oral sedation? That just sounds wacky to me.
That's the common way to say it :lol: I know, it really threw me off when I first started working here, and to be quite frank I am still not comfortable with it.

The long story short is that both are very safe. The reason why some dentists prefer GA over oral sedation is that normally oral sedation is done in the office without an anesthesiologist/CRNA present, so it's basically 100% on the dentist.

General anesthesia is actually *very* common in pediatric dentistry, and the advent of sleep dentistry has allowed children with significant needs to get the treatment they need. Most dentists either use time at a local OR (again, where it is in a controlled setting), or if you are lucky enough to have your own surgery center setting, use that.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:32 am

I walked out to my car to start it up and let it warm a bit before leaving for daycare drop off. When I walked out the door, my daughter was happily playing with a stuffed animal in the living room. By the time I got back in the house (20? 30 seconds max...) she was in the kitchen with her shoes off, socks off, pants around her ankles with her hands at her ankles, on her knees, face against the floor, butt straight up in the air yelling "STUCKkkkkkkkkkkK! STUCKKKKKKKKKK!" I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:19 pm

I walked out to my car to start it up and let it warm a bit before leaving for daycare drop off. When I walked out the door, my daughter was happily playing with a stuffed animal in the living room. By the time I got back in the house (20? 30 seconds max...) she was in the kitchen with her shoes off, socks off, pants around her ankles with her hands at her ankles, on her knees, face against the floor, butt straight up in the air yelling "STUCKkkkkkkkkkkK! STUCKKKKKKKKKK!" I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.
:lol: :lol:

Oh man, that age is so great.

We have discovered our own funny phenomenon with our four month old. In just about every room of our house, we have the high and low return vents on the wall. For whatever reason, every single time he sees the vent up on the wall, he just breaks into the biggest grin and starts babbling to it. My wife is naturally freaked out thinking we have a ghost in the house or something :lol: but I find it absolutely hilarious. Would love to know why a damn return vent makes him so undeniably happy.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Well we have a new daycare.

Pros: Mrs mac loves it, they provide lunch and snacks (And are willing and able to plan around lil macs dairy allergy), and seem to be much more organized.

Cons: for over 9 hours there is a 9 buck surcharge per day, and Mrs Mac just CAN'T adjust her schedule....

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 pm

$9/day? That's cheap, my man. Roll with it.