5AF Parenting Thread

Factorial

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Factorial » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:12 am

For some reason whenever we go to Wendy's for dinner my three older children all order side salads with fries.
Sound like you're raising some hippies.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:00 pm

I just saw a glimpse into the dark side as I saw my 6 year get pissed at his older sister and smashed her new 3DS with his lightsaber shattering the screen. Good bye Christmas money and hello to no TV for a month.

Tomas

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm

I have a quick question regarding Britax car seats. I just bought my first Britax car seat (Frontier Clicktight) that offers the "automatic" height adjustment:
https://www.amazon.com/Britax-Frontier- ... clicktight

There is one thing that bothers me about it: the backrest at the other car seat that has the height adjustment (Chicco Nextfit; https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-NextFit-C ... B019FNCJW4) moves up and down anchored on a "firm rail". The backrest of the Frontier, on the other hand, seems to to be attached to the rest of the car seat only at the very bottom - and so when I raise the back rest, the top of the headrest actually "wiggles" by about 1 inch in-and-out.

I talked to the Britax customer service, and they told me this is by design, and, in fact, precisely how they do it for ALL Britax seats that feature the height adjustment (something about in case of a crash, it is safer this way). Can any Britax owners confirm that? (I bought it on Amazon, and, unfortunately, no brick stores in my area carry this exact car seat.)

Thanks!!

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:39 pm

I have a quick question regarding Britax car seats. I just bought my first Britax car seat (Frontier Clicktight) that offers the "automatic" height adjustment:

There is one thing that bothers me about it: the backrest at the other car seat that has the height adjustment (Chicco Nextfit; https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-NextFit-C ... B019FNCJW4) moves up and down anchored on a "firm rail". The backrest of the Frontier, on the other hand, seems to to be attached to the rest of the car seat only at the very bottom - and so when I raise the back rest, the top of the headrest actually "wiggles" by about 1 inch in-and-out.

I talked to the Britax customer service, and they told me this is by design, and, in fact, precisely how they do it for ALL Britax seats that feature the height adjustment (something about in case of a crash, it is safer this way). Can any Britax owners confirm that? (I bought it on Amazon, and, unfortunately, no brick stores in my area carry this exact car seat.)

Thanks!!
I can confirm that, Tomas. My Britax Marathin ClickTight does the same thing. On a related note, the ClickTight system >>>> all others.

Tomas

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks!!
I can confirm that, Tomas. My Britax Marathin ClickTight does the same thing. On a related note, the ClickTight system >>>> all others.
Thank you! You are a lifesaver! I really thought there was something wrong with the car seat (the firm rail seems so natural to me), and I spent some quality time watching all those YouTube videos for "does the damn thing really wiggle?"

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:05 pm

The guys that write the music for Jake and the Neverland Pirates come up with some insanely earwormy riffs. I've been humming "Never Bugs" all morning

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 am

Did anyone else have trouble getting daycares to actually communicate with you? I've called and e-mailed 4 different daycares to ask for a tour and to meet the staff. Only one of the four ever got back to me. 2 places never answered the phone, and 1 place took down my name and number on Monday and hasn't called back.

"Uhhh, hi, I'd like to give you tens of thousands of dollars over the next 5 years"
"Yeah yeah yeah, we'll get back to you when we get back to you."

Sort of mind boggling. I didn't want to just go with the first place we saw, but the fact that they answered the phone and put me through the correct person that I needed to talk to and scheduled a tour right away almost has me already sold over the other places.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 am

They are probably full if they didn't drool all over you.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 am

Yeah, they don't need your bidness if they don't call back. Which sucks for you, as it's hard to find good daycare.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 am

I mean, the one that we toured was awesome. The kids looked super happy, we have friends that have kids that go there and they love it, so it's almost a no brainer, but I didn't want to just go with the first daycare that gave us a tour, ya know? I wanted to see at least one other so I have an idea of how they stack up, but at this point I'm inclined to just lock down our spot and be done with it.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 am

I didn't want to just go with the first daycare that gave us a tour, ya know?
Why not? It was recommended to you by friends and you saw firsthand that it was a nice place. Don't overthink it. Pull the trigger.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 am

The same reason I don't buy the first car I test drive without at least test driving other cars first... sure, I like it, but what if this other one is better? Probably silly, but still.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:05 am

I wish my daycare were in the same school district as my house is in, because we'd be able to use them for before/after school care when she goes to kindergarten next year, and the bus would pick her up and drop her off there. But it's not, so she'll have to go elsewhere for that.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 am

my 6 year old discovered something called kids bop. I don't want to say anything bad because he's 6 and it's awesome seeing him dance and sing to music he likes, but it's getting stuck in my head and messing me up.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

my 6 year old discovered something called kids bop. I don't want to say anything bad because he's 6 and it's awesome seeing him dance and sing to music he likes, but it's getting stuck in my head and messing me up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My daughter listens to Kidz Bop on Alexa every. single. day. At this point, I actually like some of the kids' versions of songs than I do the actual artists.

Silentom

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:15 am

"Artists".

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 am

The same reason I don't buy the first car I test drive without at least test driving other cars first... sure, I like it, but what if this other one is better? Probably silly, but still.
The other cars aren't taking your calls!

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 am

"Artists".
This is correct. That said, the creepiest one is the cover of Miley Cyrus's Party in the USA. I make sure Alexa skips it every single time.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 am

Source of the post At this point, I actually like some of the kids' versions of songs
This is what I'm terrified of happening (has it already and I don't know it? :scared: )

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am

Source of the post At this point, I actually like some of the kids' versions of songs
This is what I'm terrified of happening (has it already and I don't know it? :scared: )
Eh, just gotta roll with it. My daughter spends half of her time at home dancing to music, and if that makes her happy, so be it.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 am

The other cars aren't taking your calls!
Yeah, but when you're powerful you can just grab them by the...

Ya know what. You're right. I'll call them at lunch and go fill out an application.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 am

Eh, just gotta roll with it. My daughter spends half of her time at home dancing to music, and if that makes her happy, so be it.
:fist:

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 am

My coworker was commenting that her daughter was singing "Sexy and I know it" word for word because it was a part of their Just Dance game... she told her it was inappropriate, and the daughter fought back saying there are no swear words. I can only imagine a 5 year old singing "I got passion in my pants, and I ain't afraid to show it"...

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am

They change the words in the Kidz Bop versions to make them all G rated. Stuff like "wine" to "juice", etc. Nothing to worry about, IMO, for these songs.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am

I never understood Kidz Bop before I became a parent. I remember hearing a bit on Stern with Baby Booey talking about how much his kids loved it, and then they made fun of it for 2 hours. :lol:

But the lyrics for many pop songs are pretty lurid, so it makes plenty of sense to me now. Now our battle is to keep the restrictions for clean music only on my kids' Apple Music...