5AF Parenting Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:19 am

On the flip side to that, last night my daughter woke herself up coughing real hard and started crying. I settled her and then went to get her some honey water and some Tylenol. She downed them both, laid back down, and said "Daddy... can you give me some back scratchies?" "Sure kid..." scratched her back a bit and then she said "I'm better now. You can go. I love you." And fell asleep almost immediately. My heart just melted. Never did I feel that way toward the infant phase of little c2i.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:28 am

My daughter's funny like that too. She just turned 3, so still has irrational melt downs. Almost every night before bed, she'll have a fit. We've learned to just let her go at it for a few minutes on her own. Then we'll go in, ask her what's wrong (usually just wants to see us again) and she'll be super sweet about it and say love you, goodnight.

She also said the two funniest things the past couple of days. First she was observing deer in our back yard, and started laughing and said "the kangaroos are eating the snow!" Yesterday she was eating some cake for dessert and said, "I don't like it, it's too tasty". Each of my 3 kids have their separate Note on my phone for their quotes. I love going back and reading them every once in a while for a chuckle.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:29 am

Exercise balls. They're great for turning any place in your home into a rocker, and as long as you support the kiddo well you can bounce with them on it too if that's more their thing.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:00 am

Infant stages are amazing with easy infants.
Infant stages are extremely difficult with typical infants.
Infant stages are nightmares with difficult infants.

We had a nightmare first then an easy infant and holy buckets the difference is mind blowing

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:05 am

We had a nightmare first then an easy infant and holy buckets the difference is mind blowing
co-signed and exact scenario (also boy followed by girl)

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:06 am

Source of the post She also said the two funniest things the past couple of days. First she was observing deer in our back yard, and started laughing and said "the kangaroos are eating the snow!" Yesterday she was eating some cake for dessert and said, "I don't like it, it's too tasty". Each of my 3 kids have their separate Note on my phone for their quotes. I love going back and reading them every once in a while for a chuckle.
Our daughter (and my wife for that matter) love the blue gatorade. She refers to it as "Blue Juice". The other day, they were at CVS picking up meds for the dogs and my daughter was thirsty. They bought a lemon gatorade. She came running to me as I got home... "DADDY!!!! Look!!! Yellow blue juice!" :lol:

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:06 am

co-signed and exact scenario (also boy followed by girl)
Same

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:59 am

Source of the post She also said the two funniest things the past couple of days. First she was observing deer in our back yard, and started laughing and said "the kangaroos are eating the snow!" Yesterday she was eating some cake for dessert and said, "I don't like it, it's too tasty". Each of my 3 kids have their separate Note on my phone for their quotes. I love going back and reading them every once in a while for a chuckle.
Our daughter (and my wife for that matter) love the blue gatorade. She refers to it as "Blue Juice". The other day, they were at CVS picking up meds for the dogs and my daughter was thirsty. They bought a lemon gatorade. She came running to me as I got home... "DADDY!!!! Look!!! Yellow blue juice!" :lol:
Haha my daughter calls it blue juice as well

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:47 pm

My wife got a frantic ClassDojo message at 5pm last night from one of her kid's parents. The kid hadn't come home from school yet!

That's because the child was on an out of town field trip until 7PM last night. Talk about parent of the year material!

Not a divorce issue, or being raised by grandparents, just a clueless out to lunch parent.

Oh and this came in at 5 PM - about 2 hours after the kid would normally be home. Way to be on the ball, mom.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:17 pm

Oh that reminds me of something that happened last week that I meant to share here.

I’m in a meeting at like 8:15 am last week. I had emailed mini meow’s teacher about something the night prior. She replies at 8:15 with a response and also lets me know she moved mini meow to a new location in the room because another kid couldn’t see the board. She also says “And where is mini meow today? He never misses school and we miss him already!!”

Uhhh…I dropped him off at 7:30 like always…

Then I get a PowerSchool notification that mini meow has been marked absent.

I immediately grab car keys, run into the garage and call the school. I don’t even have shoes on. Secretary picks up and I say “Hi mini meow is in mrs so-and-so’s room and I just got a PowerSchool notification he was marked absent.” She goes “yeah some teachers do that if the student isn’t seated when it’s time to start class as a sort of punishment.” I go “no no no she also emailed me wondering where he was today.” She gets super serious and says please hold.

Here. Teacher switched mini meow and another boy WITH THE SAME NAME and the other kid was absent. I’m like halfway out of our neighborhood by now doing like 45 down residential streets. Secretary and I hang up. I check my watch, heart rate is 175. I turn around and I had peeled rubber out of my driveway. I’ve never had such a rush of adrenaline before in my life.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:40 pm

This. Routines helped us move the needle on the difficulty scale.

Lil mac was a good sleeper. Rock to bed for 15-20 min and he's out. Baby Mac is basically put him in the crib and he handles it himself. Haven't ever been able to rock him to sleep.

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:49 pm

Oh that reminds me of something that happened last week that I meant to share here.

I’m in a meeting at like 8:15 am last week. I had emailed mini meow’s teacher about something the night prior. She replies at 8:15 with a response and also lets me know she moved mini meow to a new location in the room because another kid couldn’t see the board. She also says “And where is mini meow today? He never misses school and we miss him already!!”

I immediately grab car keys, run into the garage and call the school. I don’t even have shoes on. Secretary picks up and I say “Hi mini meow is in mrs so-and-so’s room and I just got a PowerSchool notification he was marked absent.” She goes “yeah some teachers do that if the student isn’t seated when it’s time to start class as a sort of punishment.” I go “no no no she also emailed me wondering where he was today.” She gets super serious and says please hold.

Here. Teacher switched mini meow and another boy WITH THE SAME NAME and the other kid was absent. I’m like halfway out of our neighborhood by now doing like 45 down residential streets. Secretary and I hang up. I check my watch, heart rate is 175. I turn around and I had peeled rubber out of my driveway. I’ve never had such a rush of adrenaline before in my life.
I gotta say. The script for Taken 4 and the subsequent recasting of the lead is compelling but not really doing it for me.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:17 pm

Yikes... I'd have lost it.

Although, I'd then become a little self conscious because she said about how much they missed the other kid. What? You don't like my kid or something?

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:24 pm

Marking absent as a form of punishment too? WTF?

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:28 pm

I don't get it though, she marked him absent and asked where he was? Or were there two different teachers here?

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:50 pm

No. One teacher.

I don’t know how else to explain it. I thought it made sense. He didn’t think he was in school, marked him absent and told me she was going to miss him in class that day

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:51 pm

I gotta say. The script for Taken 4 and the subsequent recasting of the lead is compelling but not really doing it for me.
I see it more as a Mel Gibson “gimme back my son!” movie. Whatever that one was called

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:51 pm

Ransom? Payback? One of those sounds right.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:52 pm

I guess they eventually change it back because there is some legality to kids missing X numbers of days. I don’t agree with it and I doubt it actually happens. I think the secretary was trying to brush me off

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:52 pm

Ransom. That’s right. The creative title threw me

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:04 pm

I guess they eventually change it back because there is some legality to kids missing X numbers of days. I don’t agree with it and I doubt it actually happens. I think the secretary was trying to brush me off
Yea but that's wild that they put the pressure on the parents there to get the kid to comply. Like if you're getting messages - and never see your kid absent when they attend, until one day you don't and have that episode. I'd be really pissed.

Sam's Drunk Dog

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:21 pm

meow must live in the town from Blazing Saddles if his kid has the same name as someone else.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:01 pm

His name went from like 175th most popular the year before he was born to like 3rd the year he was born. And he’s a January birthday

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:48 pm

Yikes... I'd have lost it.

Although, I'd then become a little self conscious because she said about how much they missed the other kid. What? You don't like my kid or something?
:lol:

Yeah, I know that feeling on the few occasions I lose sight of my daughter in a crowded area... Immediate panic sets in.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:27 pm

Welp, my wife informed me tonight that my daughter got her period. We were hoping to get one more year before having to deal with this.