5AF Parenting Thread

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:53 am

Rough night last night. Was up with my son for most of it. My wife is sick and took nyquil so she did as much as she could, but he had a persistent cough that nothing would take care of.

He's on his way to the surgery center this morning for his covid test for his tubes procedure on Friday. Gonna be really upset if his procedure gets delayed.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:12 am

I hope the tubes do for you what they did for my son. From like month 3 to 1 year it was a revolving door of ear infections and medicine. Tubes went in and we've had one since (none when both tubes were still fully in).

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am

I hope the tubes do for you what they did for my son. From like month 3 to 1 year it was a revolving door of ear infections and medicine. Tubes went in and we've had one since (none when both tubes were still fully in).
Same results here. Though I must say we also changed daycare centers and I had heard that the old one had issues when attempting to be sold (health issues), but I can't say for sure. Either way, he was sick like once a month without them and sick like twice in the 2 years since.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:50 pm

With my wife's boss getting the axe last week she's been taking on more responsibility and one of those is the angel tree for Christmas.

She's been over here hormonal crying, and I can't say I blame her. These are so depressing. Someone literally asked for a bed for their 18 month old. Ugh

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:01 pm

With my wife's boss getting the axe last week she's been taking on more responsibility and one of those is the angel tree for Christmas.

She's been over here hormonal crying, and I can't say I blame her. These are so depressing. Someone literally asked for a bed for their 18 month old. Ugh
We are really involved in this kind of stuff between church, PTO, etc. and yes, it can be emotionally devastating. I think about the impact and how grateful families are and it means a lot.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:03 pm

My son's tubes went well today. He was surprisingly in a great mood despite not eating all day. Cried for about five minutes after coming out of the anesthesia, and was laughing and having milk and animal crackers in the car 20 minutes later.

Doc said he had a ton of thick, nasty liquid in his inner ear that they drained first. Thanks again for the well wishes :thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:14 pm

Excellent. Hope they help!

Did he get his adenoids trimmed? We had that done at the same time as tubes with one of my kids. It went well, and helped a great deal with drainage and ear infections.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Storybots should be more annoying than it is, but I really enjoy it. Songs are insanely catchy.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:53 am

I guess the last childhood developmental stage is having your child be able to drive by himself to school? My son is doing that very thing right now. My wife is a wreck about it, but I've been driving with him on this same route since August and he'll be fine. Nevertheless, I'm glued to Life360 for the next 20 minutes... :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:38 am

I always feel just so helpless when my kid is sick. She’s got a fever, chills, body aches, and is just miserable. Tylenol and ibuprofen alternation is helping a little, but not much. She was exposed to flu and covid at daycare. Ugh.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:53 am

I always feel just so helpless when my kid is sick. She’s got a fever, chills, body aches, and is just miserable. Tylenol and ibuprofen alternation is helping a little, but not much. She was exposed to flu and covid at daycare. Ugh.
I hear ya man. It's an awful, helpless feeling. Hope she feels better and tests negative.

Last night around midnight, my son either inhaled some drool and started coughing or had a bad dream and started crying. Even as he was crying he was rocking back and forth in his crib to try and self-soothe and go back to sleep. I went in there for ten minutes and rocked him and he was just fine...those moments are the best.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:19 am

Little c2i was great at the doctor's office. Got her nose swabbed and of course the waterworks started.

The doc told me two things that I found interesting... the first is that she said she has seen maybe 10 cases of COVID with someone under the age of 4 through the whole pandemic where they had symptoms severe enough to warrant a doctor's visit. All 10 of them had pretty much identical symptoms: low blood O2, trouble breathing, moderate fever, and a bad dry cough. My kiddo had high fever, body aches, chills... the doc said even without the test she was pretty sure it was the flu. PCR testing confirmed: flu.

She said that the strain that's going around right now is H3N2. It was the strain responsible for a pandemic in 1968 ("Hong Kong Flu"). It's been a common one in the past couple decades to be included in flu shots and circulating among the population. The late 2000's and 2012-13 were years where this strain hit the US pretty hard. So with that said, if you're an adult, you've likely been exposed to this strain, but it's hitting kids pretty hard this year as it spread.

She did not get the flu shot this year. It's a little frustrating that getting the flu shot for kids is a hassle. There's a great Freakonomics MD episode about kids and flu: https://freakonomics.com/podcast/fmd-childhood-flu/

Essentially, late winter, spring, and especially summer babies are more likely to get flu just because of their birthday because of the hassle involved in setting up a completely separate appointment to get the kid a flu shot rather than just going to CVS like the rest of us.

Anyways, she's feeling better today, and my wife and I are so far (knock on wood) symptom free.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 am

Pre-school shut down again due to COVID. Getting reallll tired of this ****.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Glad to hear it's not covid, although the funny thing is she'd probably feel less shitty if it was.

I'm fortunate to have two early fall babies and their flu shots are administered at their well visits.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Pre-school shut down again due to COVID. Getting reallll tired of this ****.
What are you doing for child care when this happens?

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:36 pm

We're watching him throughout the week most days. Otherwise he goes to his grandparents.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Parents with only one child: what made you stop at one?

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Nature.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Glad to hear it's not covid, although the funny thing is she'd probably feel less shitty if it was.

I'm fortunate to have two early fall babies and their flu shots are administered at their well visits.
Yeah... A part of me was hoping that what she had was COVID. Don't get me wrong, I don't want her having COVID, especially before she's vaccinated, but if it was COVID, some of my worries over her getting COVID would be gone.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:39 pm

Wife had a really hard go through pregnancy and post partum period... even if she wanted another one, there's no way I'm putting her through that again. We'll adopt if we want another.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:18 pm

My wife was told she wouldn't even be able to have children without extensive fertility treatment. So we got a dog... 3 weeks later she was pregnant with our oldest :lol:

We were content with one because that alone was an unexpected blessing. Six years later, her little brother was born. Very fortunate.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:31 pm

Nature.
Took us almost three years. We’re trying now but we have a cut-off date that if it doesn’t happen by then, that’s it.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:19 am

Nature.
Took us almost three years. We’re trying now but we have a cut-off date that if it doesn’t happen by then, that’s it.
Same with our daughter. Took us years, and it didn’t happen until the end of my wife’s fertility treatment. We tried for a second, got pregnant, but we had a miscarriage. That was rough, and we tried once more but it just didn’t happen.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 am

Miscarriages are the worst. That happened with our first pregnancy.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:28 am

Yeah, and as if the miscarriage wasn't bad enough, the procedure they have to do afterwards is not enjoyable. My wife was in a bad place for a little while there. Definitely made me both appreciate my daughter that much more, and have more empathy for anyone who went through the same thing.