5AF Parenting Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Speaking of safety. My wife had to put 20 kids on her daycare waiting list because another day care was closed by the state. Apparently, when an inspector was there, he saw a teacher pick a kid up by their hands (which is a giant no-no) and shut them down immediately.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Speaking of safety. My wife had to put 20 kids on her daycare waiting list because another day care was closed by the state. Apparently, when an inspector was there, he saw a teacher pick a kid up by their hands (which is a giant no-no) and shut them down immediately.
like...picked them up to play with them or to move them?

Factorial

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Krafster, what activities by other parents do you find mind boggling?

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:23 pm

like...picked them up to play with them or to move them?
I'm assuming a standing child wanted picked up and had their arms stretched up towards the teacher, then the teacher grabbed the kid's hands and pull them up? I can't think of another scenario.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:28 pm

I can't wait (read that as, oh god this is gonna be a nightmare...) until we have kids and the safety stuff starts popping up. It's bad enough already with our dog. "Don't play so rough with him!" "Don't do that, it's bad for him!"

Factorial

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:38 pm

I used to twirl my kids by their hands. They loved it.

PFiDC

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:04 pm

I used to twirl my kids by their hands. They loved it.
I do it often. His arms are 5 feet long but that's normal right?

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:06 pm

My friend would do that to his as well. The second time he dislocated his daughter's arm (don't remember shoulder or elbow) his wife put the kibash on it.

PFiDC

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Yeah there is that risk...

Once he hits 40lbs I'll stop I think. Dudes been bouncing from 36 to 40 for a while now...

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:43 pm

My friend would do that to his as well. The second time he dislocated his daughter's arm (don't remember shoulder or elbow) his wife put the kibash on it.
Yep, I dislocated my daughters elbow picking her up by her hands. I never did it either. Just one time I had to reach awkwardly to grab her and pop. One of the worst feelings in the world.

Mind boggling stuff includes 5 and 3 year old pulling lawn chairs up to a blow up pool with les than two feet of water and jumping in, for example.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:08 pm

I never thought about the hand thing, I always do that.. Not anymore, thanks for the heads up.

Tonight I filled up the wheelbarrow with water and let the kids play in it. Good times!

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Got the rest of the story. The kid was seated and raised his arms to get picked up. Teacher picked him up. The inspector asked if she did that often. Teacher said yes. Boom. Shut down.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Wow

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:06 pm

we have 3 months to potty train our daughter, or else we lose about $2,000 of deposit money for preschool. it's probably not a good idea to relay this sense of urgency to her.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:22 pm

That's rough

Stinky

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Stinky » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Got the rest of the story. The kid was seated and raised his arms to get picked up. Teacher picked him up. The inspector asked if she did that often. Teacher said yes. Boom. Shut down.
So, this was done all the time to me, and I have done this to my kids. What is the difference between this and say monkey bars? Or are we talking infants / small toddlers?

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:46 pm

So, this was done all the time to me, and I have done this to my kids. What is the difference between this and say monkey bars? Or are we talking infants / small toddlers?
Children's shoulders are notoriously easy to dislocate. Yank even just a little and they come out on some children. Additionally when lifting a child out of a seat in that manner gives the adult no way to support the child if the child decides to jerk or move. I don't think it should **** down because of that but there are valid reasons to not lift a child that way.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:25 pm

the 9 month old chewed off a chunk of a nerf football and swallowed it. apparently they are non-toxic, and if they don't choke on it, you're in the clear. so that's good. looking forward to some interesting poop later.

PFiDC

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Go long on 2nd down amirite?

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 pm

My son just came down with a bad case of hives. Apparently he may be allergic to amoxicllin. At first it looked like a few mosquito bites all around his body, but now a rash covers nearly 80% of his body. Poor kid's eyes were nearly swollen shut this morning.

Luckily they don't itch him and I don't think he has a clue anything is wrong with him.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:30 am

Gotta take mini-meow to the doctors today. There's about a 0% chance that I don't wind up sick after visiting that germ filled office.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:37 am

My son just came down with a bad case of hives. Apparently he may be allergic to amoxicllin. At first it looked like a few mosquito bites all around his body, but now a rash covers nearly 80% of his body. Poor kid's eyes were nearly swollen shut this morning.

Luckily they don't itch him and I don't think he has a clue anything is wrong with him.
My 3 year old had the same thing this Spring. It was so sad seeing him like that, but he went around business as usual so that was good.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:40 am

If anyone is looking for some really cool craft ideas with their kids or great gifts for others, check out

http://www.kiwicrate.com/ and http://koala.kiwicrate.com/ for the youngers.

You can order one or sign up for a monthly mailing. My kids are so excited when a new crate comes each month, they are very well put together and clever. I've been really impressed with everything so far.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:59 am

If anyone is looking for some really cool craft ideas with their kids or great gifts for others, check out

http://www.kiwicrate.com/ and http://koala.kiwicrate.com/ for the youngers.

You can order one or sign up for a monthly mailing. My kids are so excited when a new crate comes each month, they are very well put together and clever. I've been really impressed with everything so far.

This is excellent. Thanks for sharing.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

I think we're just about out if the woods with potty training. Not nearly as horrifying as I expected.

But the younger one is a boy. I hear that's more problematic.